Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article by SBP] Report slams Irish broadband prices

Options
  • 06-03-2005 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqid=2890-qqqx=1.asp
    06 March 2005 By Louise McBride
    Ireland has the third most expensive broadband prices in the EU and internet connections are 16 times slower than the rest of Europe, according to a draft report by a broadband lobby group. The report by Ireland Offline, to be published in the next two weeks, compares the cost and speed of standard ADSL and cable broadband products across the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. Broadband ADSL runs through a phone line and cable broadband runs over television lines.

The draft report - seen by The Sunday Business Post - shows that Denmark and Luxembourg are the only EU countries with higher broadband prices than Ireland. In Denmark, a standard broadband package for a home user costs €47 a month compared to €46 in Luxembourg. This compares with between €35 and €40 a month in Ireland.

The report found that the cheapest monthly broadband fees were in France at €15, the Netherlands at €20 and Germany at €26. In Italy, basic broadband packages cost €29 monthly, while packages in Sweden and Poland cost €30 a month.

“Greece, generally the worst in the EU for broadband, charges €36 monthly, which beats some of the packages in Ireland,” said Damien Mulley, chairman of Ireland Offline. “Norway, the most expensive country in Europe, has broadband prices which are about €6 less than ours.”

The report also found that standard broadband products in the Republic are substantially slower than the rest of Europe. Broadband download and upload speeds are measured in kilobits per second (kbps).The higher the number of kbps in a broadband package, the faster the connection. “It is very difficult to compare like-for-like in the EU with Ireland so far behind everyone else,” said Mulley. “The most common broadband connections in Ireland are 512 kbps connections for €40 a month when 8,192 kbps connections are common throughout Europe. Most broadband providers in Europe won't even consider offering a 512 kbps connection to consumers.” The fastest broadband connections are available in Sweden with speeds of up to 102,400 kbps, and France, which has speeds of up to 20,480 kbps.

A government report published earlier this year found that Ireland had fallen seriously behind its global competitors in terms of broadband connectivity. There are only six broadband connections per 100 households in the state, which is 20 per cent the level of average competitor countries.

This article is proof that the hard work of the posters here on this forum pays off. Well done to everyone who helped gather prices from throughout the EU. A full report/survey and press release will come out in two weeks time. (roughly)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Excellent!, but broadband package prices for the Republic are quoted as starting from €35?..

I use U.TV Clicksilver which costs €29.99c (inc VAT) i.e. just under €30.00 per month. This compares favourably with Sweden and Poland as stated and is €5 cheaper than the: Quote " Between €35 and €40 a month in Ireland " end quote, statement.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Paddy, that €29.99 is given only if you sign over your phone to them too. I think the SBP got the Irish price from standalone packages. In France you can get 20mb ADSL2 line, 80 TV Channels and free local and national calls for €35. Maybe the price is on a par for Sweden but the packages are not.

IrelandOffline is going on INN in a few mins as a result of this article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Paddy20 wrote:
    Excellent!, but broadband package prices for the Republic are quoted as starting from €35?..

I use U.TV Clicksilver which costs €29.99c (inc VAT) i.e. just under €30.00 per month. This compares favourably with Sweden and Poland as stated and is €5 cheaper than the: Quote " Between €35 and €40 a month in Ireland " end quote, statement.

P.
    Um, no, my 10Mbit connection here in sweden costs me €17 a month. So it doesn't even come close. a 10Mbit connection with UTV based on that 29.99 would cost me almost €600 a month, not including irish line rental of course.

*edit* absolutely dreading going back to irish "broadband" in a few months

Advertisement