Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.P.S.A (Irish Practical Shooting Association)

Options
  • 06-03-2005 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Further to a meeting last December, and further discussions I am delighted to announce the forming of the Irish Practical Shooting Association, the I.P.S.A. The committe is made up of a number of PP shooters from Meath and Louth together with PP shooters from the Midlands area, we have applied to the World Governing Body I.P.S.C for affiliation ,which has being accepted.For further information please e.mail. DVC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is the IPSA going to apply to join the NRPAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

That is up to the committee!our primary concern was the establishment of a group that would write a constitution ,and put together a frame work to see the establishment of Practical Pistol, and at a later stage Practical Shotgun, Mini Rifle. We are adopting the UKPSA standards as they apply for competition licences, Range Officers, etc. The UKPSA are regarded as one of the leading IPSC regions , we are extremely lucky to have a Pistol Range Master living on the Island , he has agreed to offer a PP saftey course , on the successful completion of the course the applicant can compete both here and more importantly abroad. While we appreciate that the number of people interested in Practical type shooting may be small, they can be assured that a organisation is in place to foster and help any club or individual interested in Practical Shooting in a safe environment.

Er, les, the NASRC is running Gallery Rifle in Ireland at the moment, last I heard...
    It'll be interesting to see how well you guys do. As I've said before, I won't be shooting it myself (I just wouldn't enjoy, or want to, shooting at human targets), but my tastes aren't everyones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    Er, les, the NASRC is running Gallery Rifle in Ireland at the moment, last I heard...

That is correct Sparks, the NASRC just sent six representatives to Bisley on the 18th February to learn more about Gallery Rifle in order to set up a section here. The trip was supported by a number of clubs, who each made donations to cover the costs of the trip.

They intend to run an international competition in 2005 and to include it as a major part of the annual calendar. The clubs that are supporting it include BRC, Fermoy, Hilltop, Fingal and Rathdrum. (That's just the ones I know about, others may have come on board in the meantime).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

(I just wouldn't enjoy, or want to, shooting at human targets)

I don't think "human targets" would enjoy it much either -

IPSC uses fairly abstract looking pieces of paper...... http://alcotarget.com/osb/showitem.cfm/Category/17

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 .40s&w

I think 'human targets' is a bit misleading and alarmist. It must be difficult for you to fire your air rifle at a paper target without thinking of the trees.
    Anyway, great work Les, where do I sign up.

Mea Culpa, I should have said "Mini Rifle", the very best of luck to the lads . re further info e.mail pistol@iol.ie

.40s&w wrote:
    I think 'human targets' is a bit misleading and alarmist. It must be difficult for you to fire your air rifle at a paper target without thinking of the trees.
    Yes, but I just remember that we recycle our targets and grin and bear it :D
    (Of course, the suis ascor targets don't have that problem :D )

Seriously though, even the humanoid targets the IPSC proposed while seeking olympic status still give me the willies. I imagine not everyone feels that way, but I do (in fairness, I did point out that this is my personal feeling on it).

Sparks is right, Practical type events are not everyones cup of tea! our raison d,etre is simple " to provide a platform for Irish sportspeople to experience PP shooting in a controlled and safe environment, and hopefully be in a position to send Irish Teams to various events next year, with the necessary saftey qualifications and documation to compete .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well congratulations Les on the acceptance and all....any news at the moment is good news as far as i am concerned....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

sticky??????

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

I.P.S.A.

Heres just a quick update

Waiting for An Post to sort out our PO Box Number and once we have that sorted then we can process memberships.

Membership of the Association will be E50

Web Site being done as we speak

Embriodered Patch included in your Membership (Awaiting Delivery)

Colour coded membership ID ie. the colour will give a visual reference to the standard that you have achieved
    Basic Safety Course
    Competion Licence Pistol
    Range Officer
    etc
    etc

In negotiations at present but hopeful that we can provide to members the full range of 5.11 Clothing worth checking out just to see whats on offer http://www.511tactical.com/

Once we have the website up and running it will be easier to communicate etc. but just a snippet of the rcent Level 1 competition held on the NITSA Range in Newry last weekend. I came 20th on a borrowed 9mm Bap so plenty room for improvement however the other committee members and association members who were present fared much better.

When we have details of Courses etc. I'll post them

In the meantime you can check out the following

https://www.ipsc.org/index.html
    http://www.nitsa.org.uk/safety.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

Exellent,glad to hear it went so well.Wanted to be there,but proably just as well as my local LEOs were around to discuss my pistol lic application.More fun and games there.
    Hope to see youse all at the next one [hopefully in the Republic]. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Hope to see youse all at the next one [hopefully in the Republic]. :D

Looking real good at the MRC, had a look at the Pistol Range (Proposed, awaiting Approval) last weekend and have to say that the facilities are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Gun Shy wrote:
    Waiting for An Post to sort out our PO Box Number and once we have that sorted then we can process memberships.
    Fantastic!woohoo.gif
    Where do I sign???
    Gun Shy wrote:
    Web Site being done as we speak
    I see the 'Irish Profit Sharing Association' got www.ipsa.ie (no site, they just own the domain), and some outfit in the States who'll shred your letters for you got the '.com' version :(
    Gun Shy wrote:
    <snip lots of good stuff>
    In negotiations at present but hopeful that we can provide to members the full range of 5.11 Clothing worth checking out just to see whats on offer http://www.511tactical.com/
    Some nice looking kit there, but I'd kinda share Sparks' concern on the P.R. aspects of the whole 'tactical' thing :(
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this aspect of competitive shooting get going and thriving here, but we have to be aware of the political and cultural climate in this country. 'Mall Ninjas' may a good laugh on the U.S. based boards, but in my opinion they'd be something of a P.R. disaster here.

That said, I can see this stuff being a lot more fun than 'precision paper punching', sorry Sparks! :D
    I know which type of pistol I'll be getting (whenever) :D

Wonder would 'Cowboy Action Shooting' catch on here??? (and I don't mean sorting out dodgy builders!!! :D )
    It's not exactly part of the 'culture' the way it is in the States, but it might be a lot less threatening to the general public (and the Guards/politicians).
    Gun Shy wrote:
    ... just a snippet of the rcent Level 1 competition held on the NITSA Range in Newry last weekend. I came 20th on a borrowed 9mm Bap so plenty room for improvement however the other committee members and association members who were present fared much better.
    Very well done to all, and onwards to bigger and better things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

Trouble here in the ol Sod is anything that resembles anything that goes BANG will be looked on with susspicion and fear by Gardai and the great uninformed.Wether it is Cowboy,or practical pistol.The Meeja will claim cowboy shooting is a bunch of immature kids playing cowboys and indians or some other such BS.Same with practical pistol it is a training ground for killers,blah,blah blah,yada yada.You only have to see the nonsense the paintballers go thru to get what amounts to a glorified softair weapon.It was claimed by the Gaurds when this started that it would by the IRA and criminals[this old chestnut to prevent anything intresting happening here in shooting sports] "as a training method for ambushes".Obvisouly never heard of Libya or the East block at the time. :rolleyes:

Advertisement