Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca vs Chelsea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Anyone that can stick 4 past Barcelona deserves all the plaudits. Fantastic game and fantastic result for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good win for Chelsea although Eto'o should have put it beyond Chelsea

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well done Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Thought Barca were the better team but Chelsea will fancy their chances to win it now, they wont play in a harder match than that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I knew Chelsea would win it. Ronaldoihno looked rustled at the end and so did the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I never thought I'd be thrilled by a Chelsea game in Europe this season but well done.

And really well done cos of this -
    Barcelona striker Ronaldinho claims all four English clubs will be eliminated from the Champions League this week...Ronaldinho can see no way back for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge tomorrow, declaring Barcelona as "100 per cent" certainties to reach the last eight.

He told a newspaper: "I'm sure that Barcelona will reach the quarter-finals.

"My predictions would be Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, or AC Milan and maybe Inter to challenge. I don't think any of the English sides will do it."

Yah boo sucks!

Mike.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Thought Barca were the better team but Chelsea will fancy their chances to win it now, they wont play in a harder match than that again.

they have yet to play Milan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'm delighted for Chelsea, they were the better team and never once resorted to cheating and diving like Barcelona did.

mike65 wrote:
    I never thought I'd be thrilled by a Chelsea game in Europe this season but well done.

And really well done cos of this -

Yah boo sucks!

Mike.

He would have been correct if Eto'o had have kept his composure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Barcelona deserved to win from what I have seen of it. Ronaldinho must be gutted. To score a goal like that go out...so harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Amazing game, the first half particularly. Looks like Carvalho pulled the goalkeeper over for the Terry goal, oh well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Actually - mad result of the night has to go to
    Lyon 7 - 2 Werder Bremen (10-2 on agg)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Not a chelsea fan but what a match,edge of seat stuff.....

Chelsea - Enjoy this. I am so gutted Barca did not get through. The fighting of Chelsea has to be respected 150%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I'll remeber that game for a while to come. Heart was in me mouth the whole second half.

MoM's: Cech, Cole, Terry, Carvalho.

Cant pick one.

What a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

nice!

what was all that madness about at the end of it... idiot stewards grabbing ronaldinho and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The best game of footie in weeks, my heart nearly sank when Etoo missed an open goal. Funnily enough Chels scored against the run of play, a super goal by Gudjohnsen, fair play to Kezman, he's had his critics but boy did he put up a fight tonight, Cole was excellent especially in first half, Lamps did v well, Claude at times lost out too easily but did the job, it was an unbeleivable goal by Ronaldihno, I thought he was going to thread it through. A brilliant night to be a Chelsea fan, well done all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm delighted for Chelsea, they were the better team and never once resorted to cheating and diving like Barcelona did.

haha, except when carvalliho made a nice NFL style block o nthe keeper for the 4th goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Oh and what a stunning header by Terry, that man is almost into double figures.

Barcelona striker Ronaldinho claims all four English clubs will be eliminated from the Champions League this week...Ronaldinho can see no way back for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge tomorrow, declaring Barcelona as "100 per cent" certainties to reach the last eight.

He told a newspaper: "I'm sure that Barcelona will reach the quarter-finals.

"My predictions would be Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, or AC Milan and maybe Inter to challenge. I don't think any of the English sides will do it."

Can someone point out where Ronaldinho says all four clubs will be eliminated from Champions league?

He says they will not challenge! Hes right about united and probaly arsenal, also about liverpool even if they go through.

GOt it wrong about chelsea though!

• Advertisement

Ronaldinho can see no way back for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge tomorrow, declaring Barcelona as "100 per cent" certainties to reach the last eight.

He told a newspaper: "I'm sure that Barcelona will reach the quarter-finals

Who cares if he did'nt quite say what was reported. He's got a big mouth (!) and its come back to haunt him.

Now excuse me as I'm off to pray in the direction of the Anfield boot room.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

haha, except when carvalliho made a nice NFL style block o nthe keeper for the 4th goal.
    What are you talking about? The goalkeeper was between the ball and Carvalho, there was no block. Even if he did pull him back, that's a very different thing to jumping to ground every time you get near the opponents penalty area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Another interesting feature of the game was Lampard's unfailing ability to choke in big games. Uber-rated. Terry, Duff, Mackele, Cech were immense for Chelsea. Felt sorry for Ronnie.

What are you talking about? The goalkeeper was between the ball and Carvalho, there was no block. Even if he did pull him back, that's a very different thing to jumping to ground every time you get near the opponents penalty area.

No one of the angles showed he clearly grabbed him and held him back, definite foul but it was difficult for the ref to spot tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Can't believe I let my wife watch Eastenders for the 1st 15 minutes and then took my time to change channel over! And then I channel hopped to TV3 - missed 5 of the goals but watching highlights now on TV3 ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

opening 20mins best I've seen Chelsea play so far imo.

deserved penalty :: turned away from the ball with his arms up, wtf, did he not expected to give away one? basic defender training tbh.

classic Ronaldinho goal for Barca #2.

but Chelsea's overall play was brilliant. well done. My dad didn't call to gloat yet :: prolly waiting to see if my liverpool loose tomorrow. :-|

btw...story with Ronaldinho/Rijkaard at full time? wtf? :eek:

mike65 wrote:
    Who cares if he did'nt quite say what was reported. He's got a big mouth (!) and its come back to haunt him.

Now excuse me as I'm off to pray in the direction of the Anfield boot room.

Mike.

So gerrard gets slated for saying liverpool dont have a chance to win the champions league, and everyone said he should of said we do have a chance.

but we ronaldinho says it hes got a big mouth?!

he doing what every decent player should do, show some confidence in your team, and team mates. gerrard should take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

cheesedude wrote:
    Barcelona deserved to win from what I have seen of it. Ronaldinho must be gutted. To score a goal like that go out...so harsh

No, they didnt deserve to win. Their defense was poxy, and with a player like Deco in the team, you are asking for trouble. Worst player on the pitch by a mile.

An amazing game of football. Ronaldinho proved why he is the best there is tonight. Terry and Carvalho were immense. Cole was greta too.

Pity these two had to meet so early, as they would have made a great final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

what was the story with rikard n roni after the match?? being held back by stewards?

good win for chelsea, good for english football although id like to see them up against italians. ronaldinho's 2nd goal was pure genius. this should silence guime ballegay or whatever his name is, i cant stand him going on about how great spanish football is.

well played chelsea, from an irish point of view it'll be good experience for duff. it would be nice to see an irishman in a champions league final.

So gerrard gets slated for saying liverpool dont have a chance to win the champions league, and everyone said he should of said we do have a chance.

but we ronaldinho says it hes got a big mouth?!

he doing what every decent player should do, show some confidence in your team, and team mates. gerrard should take note.

Well its not quite the same thing. Gerrard was being pessimistic without due cause while Ronaldinho was (to my mind) being unduly arrogant. Sure be confident and put your best foot foward but dont get too cocky!
    "100 per cent" certainties to reach the last eight.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

it would be nicer to see chelsea knocked out :(

oh well....well done

mike65 wrote:
    Well its not quite the same thing. Gerrard was being pessimistic without due cause while Ronaldinho was (to my mind) being unduly arrogant. Sure be confident and put your best foot foward but dont get too cocky!

Mike.

prefer cocky then pessimistic myself!

Anyway he got it wrong, and thats that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I saw carvalho pullin on Valdes as well,but Valdes ran straight up to Collina and pushed him. Got a big "Dont touch me!!"

I thought the thing with ronnie and rijkaard was just the stewards trying to rush them out before things got heavy,but they reacted quite harshly so i'd say im wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Regarding the keeper being blocked.
    If Barca think its ok to fall to ground without being tackled, or fake injury after a weak challenge, i don't see any problem with what carvalho did. Eye for an eye and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That was probably Duff's worst performance in a Chelsea shirt tonight. Other than his goal and the corner for the last goal, he did very little and gave away the ball a few times, plus a few free kicks.

edit - and I doubt Lampard put in a better performance than that before. Proving me wrong. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i thought Rijkaard was doing some mouthing to one of the Chelsea staff as they went off at FT and things went from there.

sure, it'll be in all the sports pages tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Great game. An for me Chelsea deserved to go through.

Some incredible performances tonight.

Firstly Cech, if he plays like that more often he will definately be one of the worlds best. That save from Puyol was one of the best I have seen in ages.

Next, Carvalho and Terry. I thought Carvalho was streets ahead of Terry, but Terrys cavalier style (not to mention winning goal) will always win him the plaudits. Carvalho didnt put a foot wrong, and even when he got completely skinned he recovered immensely. Ive been thinking this for a while, but I really think he is one of the best in the world, and his quiet, subtle style is pure class.

Makalele, the lad is an ox. So strong on the ball, and even off it, when he just heaved players to win the ball back. And his short range passing is just incredible. Again one of the best in the world, but will never get the plaudits because of his quiet nature.

Lampard was huge as well, constant running and battling. It says a lot that he has played 45/46 games this year. Being suspended for the only one he missed. The first player Mourinho went over to, and then the first one he went back to (after congratulating the team) to parade around the pitch. Mourinho knows how big this player is, and I trust his opinion over anyone here.

Cole had a big game, the best Ive seen him play. Gallas too, again the lad will never get the plaudits, but he is pure class.

Duffer, lively attacking at the start, but for the rest of the game he was as deep as Makalele, showing how much he now has to his game. He is powerful now too. Improving with every game. Again one that doesnt want to hog the limelight.

Im not surprised to see Barca out. Once the draw was made I thought Chelsea had what it took to turn them over. Barca are just too inexperienced. They may have some of the best attacking players in the world in Eto'o and Ronaldinho, and be great to watch but they dont have the same class that Chelsea have all over the park. I hope the win La Liga though, and this team will definately challenge for the CL at some stage. Just not this year.

Im not sure if Chelsea will go on to win the CL this year. I think its either their for Juve or Milan. But they will go far, and test anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

fair play to chelsea, boo at me for being away late and not seeing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

diving, whether we like it or not is part of the professional game.
    Its unfair to come on and say one team does it and another doesn't, yes barca do resort to it at times, usually at home with the crowd behind them but so does everyone else if they get the chance. EVEN the great Chelsea! anyone remember joe cole tryin to get sami sent off in the carling cup final??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Rather dodgy performance from Chelsea in the end. When they went 3-0 up, I thought Barca might completely fold, but in fairness to them, they really put the pressure on Chelsea instead. Ronaldinho's second was pure class, but you have to admire the way Chelsea as a team played the second half. They really settled things down, and struck at the right time. Yes, they gave up a couple of chances at the other end (woeful miss from Eto'o after Iniesta's shot came back off the post), but they were playing one of the best teams in the world, after all.

I have no idea what the scrap at the end was all about. It seemed to be between Ronaldinho and some of the stewards. Its one of the few times I've seen Ronaldinho without a smile on his face. What was the deal with him and Paulo Ferriera swapping shirts at half time by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

ronaldinho usually has players looking to swap shirts with him, because of who he is there can be more than one. he has been known to give someone his first half shirt and then someone else his second half shirt. I'd imagine this was the case again

thats probaly why ferriera got subbed 5 minutes later. what a plonker, and to give away then peno aswell. Maureen is gonna give him some bollocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

TimAy wrote:
    Regarding the keeper being blocked.
    If Barca think its ok to fall to ground without being tackled, or fake injury after a weak challenge, i don't see any problem with what carvalho did. Eye for an eye and all that.

Who feigned injury? I saw one clear cut dive and that was by Xavi which he was booked for. Duff didn't have a problem going down under the slighest bit of contact tonight either.

As for the match well I'm bitterly dissappointed. It was a cracking game, but I fell Barca were the better team on the night. Without Marquez the defence was expose. Gerard was crap and at fault for the first and third goals. I dunno what he was at. Belletti is a liability in defence, yeah he's handy when going forward but always seems to go walk about when needed at the back.

Terry and Cech were the stand out players for me for Chelsea. Cech pulled out the saves when they were needed, that tip onto the post from Iniesta's shot was outstanding. Terry as always was a rock in the centre of defence. Lampard and Cole deserve praise too, both played very well.

Deco is not a liability on the pitch, I can't remember who said that, but they're wrong. He's not on form at the moment which is a pity, especially with Giuly lacking fittness because Deco can't be dropped. Eto'o should have scored that almost open goal, credit to Glen Johnson I suppose for putting him off. Ronaldinho's second goal was amazing, too bad it counts for nothing now.

Anybody know what the story was with Ronaldinho and Ferriara (sp) swapping shirts at half time?

Anyway congrats to Chelsea.

ianomccabe wrote:
    EVEN the great Chelsea! anyone remember joe cole tryin to get sami sent off in the carling cup final??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

hahaahah especially priceless considering this qoute from him about barca
    "We know what to expect from Barcelona. Diving is a part of the Continental game which they seem to accept. In England we try to stay on our feet more."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Slash/ED wrote:
    No one of the angles showed he clearly grabbed him and held him back, definite foul but it was difficult for the ref to spot tbf.

From this evening Collina is dead to me... :mad:

Fair play to Chelsea for taking such a hold of the game in the first 20 minutes, but from then on it was real men and boys stuff. Barca were breathtaking, and but for a goal that should have been disallowed for the foul on Valdez they'd be through. Their defence let them down badly, but contrast the passing and control of the Barca forwards/midfield with Chelsea's and there should only have been one winner.

Don't forget Barca hitting the woodwork, Eto'o missing the resulting open goal, and Cech's save on the line from a header.

Terry was amazing by the way.

• Advertisement

I may be the only one, but I jhust don't rate Eto'o that highly. Scores alot of goal as he's in a brilliant team but you can't really rely on him and he's a bit of a headless chicken, alot of Barcas moves break down when he gets the ball and his all round play just isn't that great. With a truly world class striker Barca would have won this match comfortabley imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

hahaahah especially priceless considering this qoute from him about barca

:rolleyes:

i have a strong disliking for joe cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

From this evening Collina is dead to me... :mad:
    I thought Collina had a great game to be honest. I cant remember him making a clear cut bad decision. Plus he made numerous ones that I dont know how he saw.
    Fair play to Chelsea for taking such a hold of the game in the first 20 minutes, but from then on it was real men and boys stuff. Barca were breathtaking, and but for a goal that should have been disallowed for the foul on Valdez they'd be through. Their defence let them down badly, but contrast the passing and control of the Barca forwards/midfield with Chelsea's and there should only have been one winner.

Don't forget Barca hitting the woodwork, Eto'o missing the resulting open goal, and Cech's save on the line from a header.

Terry was amazing by the way.
    Men against boys? It was like that for the first 20 minutes. After that Barcelona had to attack attack attack. Its natural for Chelsea to sit back. Only two of Barcelonas players really caught my eye tonight. Eto'o and Ronaldinho. They are class players, they will create chances no matter what the game.

As for the winner. I watched the game, saw the highlights, then watched the highlights on TV3. Ive yet to see this foul that some people see so clearly.

Also dont forget Chelsea hit the woodwork with Duff missing the sitter after.

Chelsea deserved it. A team that concedes five goals over two legs will always be lucky to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I may be the only one, but I jhust don't rate Eto'o that highly. Scores alot of goal as he's in a brilliant team but you can't really rely on him and he's a bit of a headless chicken, alot of Barcas moves break down when he gets the ball and his all round play just isn't that great. With a truly world class striker Barca would have won this match comfortabley imo.

He didn't get that much service tonight in fairness. As for not relying on him he has scored quite a few goals this season that have won matches for Barcelona when it looked like things weren't going thier way. I said it at the start of this thread, I'll say it again, he's not on form currently. Been going through a poor spell but he's still a great player and still young. It's also his first season with Barca so he deserves to be cut a bit of slack. 18 goals so far in La Liga so I'm not complaining.

Anyone know where I can see Ronaldinhos goal for download???

• Advertisement
Advertisement