Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many credit card accounts do you have?

Options
  • 06-03-2005 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Credit card accounts only ie Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB, AMEX, Diners* yes those are charge cards but...

How many credit card accounts do you have? 68 votes

0% 0 votes
    14% 10 votes
    48% 33 votes
    29% 20 votes
    2% 2 votes
    1% 1 vote
    1% 1 vote
    0% 0 votes
    1% 1 vote
    9+
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

any more than 1 is foolish in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

L5 wrote:
    any more than 1 is foolish in my opinion

well if you were going abroad, you might want to have two and hide one in your luggage/shoe so that if your were seperated from your wallet, for whatever reason you would still be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I had a few in the past, for work-related reasons. They were nicked when I was abroad and it was mega hassle to cancel them (didn't bother replacing them). Paying the crap gov tax on credit cards is an added cost that I can do without, so one card is more than enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

just the one, I'd have 2 only for the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I have two UK cards that I keep transferring balances on to keep my rate low. Also helpful for buying from the UK - no dodgy exchange rates and no rip off duty tax like there is here.

I have 3 Irish cards, one I'm about to get rid off. I'm in the process of transferring the balance to two other cards at 0% for six months. By the time the introductory period is up I will hopefully transfer to another introductory offer.

I'm what's known as a 'Rate Tart'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

One for business, one for hookers. Pleasure. For pleasure. Not for hookers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Two UK cards, one Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

2. One with a small limit for purchasing on the internet, therefore limiting my exposure to fraud and another with a normal limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I thought the government had done away with the €40 new credit card duty ??... :confused:

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

dahamsta wrote:
    One for business, one for hookers. Pleasure. For pleasure. Not for hookers at all.

What? You don't put the hookers on expenses? :D

Me: 2 (a Visa, and a MC)
    Wk: 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I've one but I also have transact from AIB so I really have hundreds of Credit card numbers. And transact is a great security feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I have one form a UK bank and another from an Irish bank, one's Visa the other is a Mastercard.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I thought the government had done away with the €40 new credit card duty ??... :confused:

P.

My understanding was that it was announced in the budget that you would no longer be charged two €40 fees if you closed one card and opened another. As far as I know this hasn't been brought into law yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

0utshined wrote:
    My understanding was that it was announced in the budget that you would no longer be charged two €40 fees if you closed one card and opened another. As far as I know this hasn't been brought into law yet though.

Its when you close 1 CC account thats when your charged the €40 not in April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

BingoBongo wrote:
    Its when you close 1 CC account thats when your charged the €40 not in April

That's right but currently if you upgrade from say a standard card to a gold card you get charged €40 on closing the standard and €40 on the gold in april even though you'd only have one account at any moment in time. My understanding is that this is to be changed so that you'll only pay the €40 charge once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Used to have them all, but reduced to two visa's, both U.S. cards as Ill never give the government any duty. I agree with whoever said have a second one for emergency when traveling. I have had to use it when travel agent screwed up and charged my plane tickets a dozen times and had my other card blocked.

The surcharge on cards is ridiculous and anti competitive. As soon as they get rid Ill apply for a few irish cards. If you use them properly you can build up a great credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

0utshined wrote:
    ...My understanding was that it was announced in the budget that you would no longer be charged two €40 fees if you closed one card and opened another. As far as I know this hasn't been brought into law yet though.

AN improvement to be sure

<rant>
    but even so why should the govt charge EUR 40 anyway, even if they reduced it to a nominal EUR 1 it is wrong, the govt are a bunch of money grabbing freeloaders, If Joe Bloggs works hard and earns money he is taxed
    -on his income (PAYE)
    -on his spending (VAT)
    -on his spending medium (Credit Card Tax, ATM card tax, cheque tax)

I mean seriously credit card tax, a credit card is between you and the bank, why should the govt get a cent, they are not providing any service, they just take it cos they can
    </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

vector wrote:
    I mean seriously credit card tax, a credit card is between you and the bank, why should the govt get a cent, they are not providing any service, they just take it cos they can
    </rant>

agreed. I heard it being tallied up on radio once and it wasnt even all that impressive an amount of money, a drop in the bucket really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

vector wrote:
    they are not providing any service, they just take it cos they can
    </rant>
    So you don't consider the roads, the hospitals, the schools etc to be 'services', I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have 4 cards (UK)

1 x AMEX for cashback
    1 x Mastercard for cashback
    1 x Visa for 0% transfers (up in July, will get another one then)
    1 x Visa which I forgot to cancel (will do today)

Advertisement