Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership as good as over. Everything settled?

• 06-03-2005 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Chelsea unstoppable now.

maybe 2/3 still up for debate - but it's little enough consequence - back a little earlier for one team.

4th seems to be Evertons now. It would take a spectacular crash now and LFC don't look like they could do anything with it regardless.

Uefa cup spots - 1 more now that Chelsea have donated theirs.

Liverpool and 2 others. Spurs being my outside bet.

Down the bottom. Southampton rejuvinated and to sneak it again. Meaning Crystal Palace to go down.

Or is just my Liverpool bitterness causing me to dismiss the rest :( ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

uberwolf wrote:
    Down the bottom. Southampton rejuvinated and to sneak it again. Meaning Crystal Palace to go down.
    Blackburn aren't safe yet. They are only 2 points ahead of Palace. Ok, they have 2 games in hand but those games in hand are their next 2 games (Palace don't play til the 19th) away to Everton today and away to Liverpool after that. They then have Arsenal and United after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I dont think Portsmouth are safe either. I hope Palace stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea champions (and no-one will care)
    Man Utd second
    Arsenal third
    Everton forth unless they get nosebleed as they see the big prize looming.
    Liverpool hang on for UEFA cup
    Southampton or Palace.
    Norwich
    West Brom.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The league is definitely done and dusted as far as the winners go.

But the losers still need to be sorted out. Norwich and WBA I'll say will be two of the three. Southampton too. Andy Johnson's penalties to keep Palace in the PL.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Chelsea are pretty much home and dry, the fight for second is going to be intertesting.

I can't see Everton losing 4th place, they will probably lose a good few games between now and the end of the season but so will the chasing pack.

As for the bottom 3, well that will be tight but I'd go for Palace, Norwich and West Brom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Not counting my chickens just yet I'm quietly confident and will be even more so when we win our game on hand. Remember Newcastle had a 12 point gap but the difference is Chelsea have a much sterner defence than The Barcodes. If Everton win today they are 11 points ahead of Liverpool, the mind bogles.

smuckers wrote:
    Not counting my chickens just yet...when we win our game on hand.
    tut tut. ;)

Sorry EB should have been "if", the game in hand is home to WBA which won't be easy but astonished if the team lost that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well heres what it will take for Chelsea to lose the premiership:

Man Utd to win every game for the rest of the season
    Chelsea to drop a total of 6 points from 8 matches
    Chelsea to lose to both Arsenal and Man Utd

The odds on it now must be unreal :)
    I've still got a tiny bit of hope, but even my eternal optimism is failing

---

Portsmouth + Norwich + West Brom to go down
    :o controversial! :P

edit: mistake in maths :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Chelsea have 10 games left , so I presume you mean drop 9-10 points in 10 games .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Palace look like a team who'll stay up, they've just got too much spirit and seem to find it easier to win games than the teams around them.

Norwich, West Brom and Southampton or Blackburn. If Crouch can keep banging them in, it'll be Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

You could have this thread for the next ten years there is going to be only 3 teams in contention every year Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If everton win today they 11 clear of Liverpool who they play next weekend, only a seriously optimistic pool fan would expect to come 4th.

Everton are still beating the bottom half of the table teams and thats what keeping them in 4th.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Badabing wrote:
    You could have this thread for the next ten years there is going to be only 3 teams in contention every year Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd,
    Excellent point. I can not see that changing.

Thats a rather silly thing to say I think.

Liverpool for one?
    Everton with a new cash influx from the CL?
    UTD lose fergie might drop for a while?
    Chelsea might lose Ambrov, might lose Mourinho?
    Arsenal might lose some key players, Vieria to real, cole to chelsea?

You can't say somethign like that, although I'd expect that next year it will be the same three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

cheesedude wrote:
    Excellent point. I can not see that changing.

:rolleyes: ah yes. So 10 years ago you knew it was going to be chelsea with a russian billionaire funding them.

the point of sport is the unpredicatability - that's why we love it as a society.

This thread was started as saying that this seasons spoils were as good as distributed.
    And relegation battle was pretty clear cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Of course you can say that ,Utd and Arsenal have won it between them the last ten years and it took 200 million from chelsea to break that, and every year they get champ league money on top of skys money,so i can't see it changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Fair play to Everton, even at Christmas I didn't think they would come 4th and now it looks almot a dead cert. Chelsea have it won and still can have a say in who comes 2nd and 3rd seeing as they still play both sides and there's only couple of points in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Badabing wrote:
    Of course you can say that ,Utd and Arsenal have won it between them the last ten years and it took 200 million from chelsea to break that, and every year they get champ league money on top of skys money,so i can't see it changing.
    Of course you CANT.

10 years ago people would have said the same for Blackburn with all their money. They were relegated a couple of years after. Then it was Newcastle who would be the challengers, not anymore. Then Wenger came along and turned Arsenal into contenders for the first time in six or seven years.

Who is to say that if either Mourihho, Ferguson or Wenger were to leave (over the next couple of years) that the clubs wouldnt be massively effected? It would be very difficult for a new manager to come in and keep the momentum going with new ideas/tactics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

mike65 wrote:
    Chelsea champions (and no-one will care)
    Mike.

I will :)

"You could have this thread for the next ten years there is going to be only 3 teams in contention every year Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd,"

makes it more interesting than just Man U and Arsenal though

• Advertisement

So will I, carefree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont think Chelsea have done anything to please the neutrals, its all a bit dour. Plus it feels like its been bought at no spared expense, and will be the same next year...and so on.

Mike.

ps well done Blackburn!

I'd say Fergie and Wenger will have something to say about them doign it again next year.
    With the run that both Utd and Chelsea have gone on, the start of next season will be unreal, especially when you consider there is no big competition over the summer, its going to be total club football for nearly all the players, a 3 way title race with every single point mattering.

We're getting a little ahead of our selves :)

mike65 wrote:
    I dont think Chelsea have done anything to please the neutrals, its all a bit dour. Plus it feels like its been bought at no spared expense, and will be the same next year...and so on.

Mike.

ps well done Blackburn!

And of course Arsenal didn't buy the title in 98 when they bought the start of their French team? buying the title is wearing thin, Utd attempted to buy the title when they signed Veron and Van Nist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

4th place certainly isnt over. 8 point gap with liverpool having a game in hand, and a home derby match.

everton have only won 11 points from a possible 30 recently, if liverpool win the game in hand, and turn them over at anfield they will have it in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nothing new about the EPL being over for this season. Late December, I believed as such (may get the 2nd/3rd place wrong though).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2226765&postcount=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

utd bought veron and nist for europe, they'd just won the PL three seasons in a row at the time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

The season will be over when the bookies pay out on Chelsea. I'd say the weekend after next that will happen.

I'd say it'll be paid out after the Arsenal game

• Advertisement

Paddy Power paid out weeks ago.

Advertisement