Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservatory

Options
  • 06-03-2005 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a conservatory

Just wanted to ask has anyone done this lately? Anyone recommend any particular company, is there thing I should ask for extra, or anything I should be aware of??

Is there much of a difference between cost/quality by the different suppliers and fitters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Jim,

I did this a few years ago.

I got a couple of quotes (make sure you use a company that will do both the conservatory and the build work - one supplier and all that.) AND make sure you get a glass roof (otherwise when it rains, you'll go mad with the noise).

We had an arch going back into the kitchen-dining room which made it feel really big - don't worry about cold during winter. Once you use double glazing for everything, and you'll have a rad in there it's no problem.

However, one factor people never take into account is blinds. We got them just for the roof (keeps it warm(er) in winter, but more importantly, you'll constantly wear sunglasses on sunny days if you don't have them, and if you are thinking of putting a tv in there, you'll never see it on sunny days!) :cool:

Blinds cost us approx IR4K :eek: from Appeal - and they were the cheapest - 20x16ft conservator cost IR15K. Floor tiles around IR1K. Then you have to furnish it - sofa etc.

Wouldn't do it again...mainly for the fact that it didn't really add value onto the house (was a 3-bed semi we had).

Look at getting a sun room - better than a conservatory (unless you just want to house plants in it!!). But if it's an extra room you're looking for, I would definitley get a sun room.

We used Southside Conservatories who were very good, professional & weren't the cheapest, but weren't the most expensive either. I was also in the Kildare area.

Hope this helps!
    Will

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Another point most people do not investigate when they are getting conserveratory quotes are , quality of extrusions material used in the build of the pvc frames.

Radical differences in price quotes do not always mean one supplier is trying to rip you off, he may be using a better quality, and heavier pvc wall material. So if you do get a quote from a supplier, ask for a piece of the pvc material he uses just to examine. And compare it to other suppliers you contact. Visually across the section , if their is a difference , its noticeable.

Dark pvc products have a heavier wall anyway , because of the characteristics of it to hold more heat, and thus helps stability, because excessive heat makes causes flexibility, and a heavier wall counteracts this.

So dont always assume you are getting ripped off, you may be paying more for a superior product. So do your homework.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Thanks for the advice

I never would have thought of looking for a glass roof, but i'll insist on it now.

Do you think it adds much value to a house?

JK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

If your conservatory is going to be south facing, the glass roof is a defenite no no, unless you want to grow tomatoes in it!!

Polycarbonate roofing material is significantly cheaper than toughened roof glass, and as such is only used for cheap nasty jobs.

Polycarbonate panels that are cut to size and not properly installed, can allow fungal growth , (the green stuff that is stuck to the glass of a 30 yearold disused green house, you know what I'm talking about,) to develop between the honey combs of the panel if water is allowed to enter here.

It is not a strong material, is prone to damage, and aesthetically looks cheap.
    It is a delicate material that is easily damaged during fabrication of your roof, and scratches and cracks are made very easily.

A south facing conserveratory is a major solar heat source for the house during winter months, as you still get a lot of sun on clear days. Proper roof construction using ventilated ridges, and roof vents will give you ample scope to alleviate overheat during summer. The fitting of roof blinds as well are a major benefit if this is a problem.

Polycarbonate is a useful cheap material , for cheap jobs. If roof glass is not an option, a well slated roof, with internal t&g sheeting on a ceiling may be a route to consider. :)

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Cheers Kadman

I tend to agree with your post, I always say if a job is worth doing, its worth doing right.

Thanks for the advice

JK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sounds like you want a pro-install, but may be worth looking at the stuff B & Q are doing for self install out of Dublin

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/category/category.jsp?&CATID=7730003

Builder friend of mine put one together & was pretty impressed by it, so maybe worth a look - site prices are sterling, but convert into Euro's & you'll get almost the exact price of B & Q Dublin

Andip wrote:
    Sounds like you want a pro-install, but may be worth looking at the stuff B & Q are doing for self install out of Dublin

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/category/category.jsp?&CATID=7730003

Builder friend of mine put one together & was pretty impressed by it, so maybe worth a look - site prices are sterling, but convert into Euro's & you'll get almost the exact price of B & Q Dublin

Sounds cheap enough , if you want a cheap selfbuild.

But a couple of things to note here.
    Roof panels are 16 mm twin wall polycarbonate. Try to inpsect some of this material, it is very light in construction., and fragile. :(
    Light roof panels , mean light roof fabrication materials, as they do not need to be major structural support elements.

In my opinion, fitting polycarbonate panels to a new conserveratory is false economy. Look around , they give a cheap appearence to a new build. There is a significant visual difference between polycarbonate and glass.

All external glazed panels are indeed doubleglazed. But are they 12mmm, 16mm, 20 mm, double glazed units, as this would have an impact on cost.
    So when you are comparing these to a manufacturers quote, make sure you are comparing same specifications, for an accurate assessment. :confused:

Happy hunting :)

Advertisement