Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won ticket to Irish Open on Paddy Power last night

Options
  • 06-03-2005 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

Going through a bit of a purple patch at the moment following my WSOP ticket win last week.
    Played the $36 rebuy on Paddy Power last night.
    There were approx 100 players with one package worth $3500 up for grabs.
    Second prize was $2800.

I got very unlucly earlier when my A10 was beaten my 72 on a 10 high flop after I had raised big on the button pre-flop (he ended up with a house of 7s over 2s) Also had KK cracked by A4 so was forced to rebuy.

Got back into it playing very tight for the next while. As you can imagine, the play was very tight down to the last 2 tables due to the limited payouts on offer. Noticed that shortstack got v unlucky with pocket jacks (I think) on second last table. I (pokernikus) was one of the shorter stacks at this point but started to see a couple of decent hands and doubled through when my pocket sixes crushed pocket kings with 10 players left. I was third chip leader going onto final table (46k) with one huge stack of about 140k. I let the big stack (RiskyMurphy) knock everybody out and was heads up with 80k versus approx 230k. At this point I knew I had enough money to buy a ticket so played v aggresively. One crucial hand was when I had Qd5d on SB. Flop was Q4d10d. RiskyMurphy raised 16k on the flop, I called. Turn was another rag so I checked. RiskyMurphy went all-in. I figured I was behind with my poor kicker but had a nice flush draw and also would have been happy with second prize so I decided to call. RiskyMurphy had 2 pair Qs and 4s. River was 3d so I was now chip leader.

RiskyMurphy then doubled through when I called his all-in holding A7 against his A5 when he flopped a 5.

Ended up taking it with KQ v K4 with a K on the flop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Nice one, glad someone from the boards won. I got a break early when QQ stood up against K10, A10 & JJ in a 4 way all in but lost a chunk when my AK failed to improve vs 66. Then two tables out I made that stand with JJ after 2 limpers, BB woke up with AK and hit on the river.

Have you decided what to do with the WSOP ticket ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Shortstack wrote:
    Nice one, glad someone from the boards won. I got a break early when QQ stood up against K10, A10 & JJ in a 4 way all in but lost a chunk when my AK failed to improve vs 66. Then two tables out I made that stand with JJ after 2 limpers, BB woke up with AK and hit on the river.

Have you decided what to do with the WSOP ticket ?

Its funny how winning a tournament always come down to a couple of 50/50 shots - you gotta be able to win with AK against a smaller pair and beat AK in order to win.

Have decided to go to the WSOP as it is the chance of a lifetime. Paddy Power wouldn't allow me to take the cash (I was hoping they wouldn't ;-)) but did offer me places in the Irish Open and Cavendish tournament in return which I declined. The Irish Open will be a nice bit of preparation for the WSOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Congrats and yes YES YES play the two tournies! Was thinking about what I would do if I won a ticket* and could sell it, and decided I would definitely play it. Once in a lifetime experience and all, but not only that - unless $10,000 means the world to you, I am sure you would regret playing. I'd love to have €10,000 fall into my lap, but stepping back a bit, that amount wouldn't change my day to day life one little bit, given that it is only a few month's wages and wouldn't even buy a new 1.0 litre city car! Winning the WSOP, on the other hand, now that really would be a life-changing event and worth a gamble...

*Yeah, not gonna happen, but it is nice to think about!

Advertisement