Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linux/xp network

Options
  • 06-03-2005 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

im currently running xp home on one machine and ive just installed linux fedora on another machine i have. i want to network them via a crossover cable.

im completely lost. ive been googling but havent found the right answer yet.

can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Network them to what end? Controlling one from the other? File\Printer sharing? Routing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

im using the linux machine primarily for storage so i just want to be able to send file to it or read from it. i had xp on the linux machine and it was just a matter of plugging in the cable. i was able to send files to it and if i ever needed them again i could just go to my shared folder and access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you know much about Linux?
    What distribution are you using?
    Whatever it is, you will need to configure your ethernet card with an appropriate IP address and subnet mask. For Windows file sharing on Linux, you will need to run Samba (comes with most distributions).

You'd probably get better results asking about this on the Unix board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

dont know much about linux. thats why i installed it. yeah ill post on the unix board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Theres 2 ways to go about it.... as the previous person eluded to you'll have to familiarise yourself with samba. When installed it has a default smb.conf and nmb.conf config files and rtfm should balance you up.

Alternatively, you can set up nfs on the linux box and the install SFU3.5 (Services for Unix) onto XP. This will allow XP to map nfs shares.

osmethod

• Advertisement
Advertisement