Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utvip XL gradually slowing down

Options
  • 06-03-2005 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for asking what may seem like a stupid question.
    I have an acct. with UTVipXL for well over a year now, and recently the speed that I connect at has been getting slower and slower.
    I used to get 28.8k all the time and occassionally 31.2k
    now I always get 26.4 and occassionally 24.4k.
    This has been happening over the last month and I was getting annoyed with this, so I rang the Tech support and after 20 mins I got hold of a techie, who said: We don't guarantee that you will connect at any speed at all.
    have you tried?:new cable,modem shorter cable etc etc.
    The fact is I haven't changed a thing! I am right next to the only Eircom jack in the house and my modem hasn't been magically renewed.
    Whats going on? anybody know what might be at fault?
    I have a Oli'net V92 ready ext modem is that worth a try?
    I am getting really browned off now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

CJhaughey wrote:
    Sorry for asking what may seem like a stupid question.
    I have an acct. with UTVipXL for well over a year now, and recently the speed that I connect at has been getting slower and slower.
    I used to get 28.8k all the time and occassionally 31.2k
    now I always get 26.4 and occassionally 24.4k.
    This has been happening over the last month and I was getting annoyed with this, so I rang the Tech support and after 20 mins I got hold of a techie, who said: We don't guarantee that you will connect at any speed at all.
    have you tried?:new cable,modem shorter cable etc etc.
    The fact is I haven't changed a thing! I am right next to the only Eircom jack in the house and my modem hasn't been magically renewed.
    Whats going on? anybody know what might be at fault?
    I have a Oli'net V92 ready ext modem is that worth a try?
    I am getting really browned off now.

well i've had utvipXL for well over a year aswell. When I was living in Tralee i used to connect at 54.4k all the time. Now that Im living out in the country (20 miles outside tralee) i only connect at 19.9k-31.2k!! this quite frankly is ridiculous this day and age. I cannot get broadband. I have to pay E25 euros a month for UTVipXL (nearly the same price as broadband users with 512k speeds. It takes 30 mins to download a 4MB song. Sorry CJhaughey but I think it’s not your computer. I have a 3.4Ghz, 1024MB DDR2 Ram, 250GB computer that might as well be a 486SX with windows 3.1!

Does anyone know if I can use a single ISDN modem (64k) with UTVipXL. It might be worth investing in if I could. Please any advice for two slow couches 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe it's a Kerry thing? I am outside Kenmare, Funny thing is I thought that maybe 31.2 would be OK but 24.4k? JOKE!
    I might actually give up on UTV but who else competes?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

CJhaughey wrote:
    Maybe it's a Kerry thing? I am outside Kenmare, Funny thing is I thought that maybe 31.2 would be OK but 24.4k? JOKE!
    I might actually give up on UTV but who else competes?

It might not be UTV, but your phone line. Have you tried dialling up to anybody else to see what happens (e.g. Oceanfree or one of the other non-subscription crowds)? If you get the same speeds (more or less), then it's almost certainly your line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

IOL Anytime wud be another one u cud try

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yeah I guess its the phone line itself.
    Thanks to Eircons substandard and ****ty network.
    What to do now? I can already hear the Eircom customer service answer.....We don't need to have the line internet compatible , just as long as you can make telephone calls it's OK.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Connecting at 45.1k all the time now since my isdn stopped working.

My isdn worked fine when it connected (64k every time)
    So yes single channel ISDN should work fine. It did for me.

However my modem stopped working and I had to go back to 56k Modem.

However major problem I have with my XL account is disconnects randomly. Even worse sometimes I can connect and have to wait anything from 5 mins to a few hours to gert online.

Is there a second number I can dail when this happens. Should I be using the dialer thats on the utv website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Try connect with a few ISPs (search boards for their modem numbers).

If they are all the same as UTV then it's not UTV's problem.

Azza wrote:
    Connecting at 45.1k all the time now since my isdn stopped working.

My isdn worked fine when it connected (64k every time)
    So yes single channel ISDN should work fine. It did for me.

However my modem stopped working and I had to go back to 56k Modem.

However major problem I have with my XL account is disconnects randomly. Even worse sometimes I can connect and have to wait anything from 5 mins to a few hours to gert online.

Is there a second number I can dail when this happens. Should I be using the dialer thats on the utv website?

Yes. Download the dialer. It dials a second number when the first one is engaged.

To get a single line ISDN what do i need? Is it just a ISDN modem I need and continue using UTVipXL.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You need the modem and another isdn box (don't know what is exact). Usually expensive to install too.

Azza wrote:
    You need the modem and another isdn box (don't know what is exact). Usually expensive to install too.

Oh. Thanks Azza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I have had ISDN for a good few years now and it as gotten steadily worse and worse with UTV/Eircon. Even though I connect at 64k it runs about as fast as a good 56k Modem. And the price for ISDN Line Rental is ridicules. I honestly think that ISDN users should be allowed to connect at 128k for no extra cost because people can now get BB (which is a lot faster) for much less.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

I've noticed UTV XL connection speed has slowed down in the last 2 months or so.
    Also the amount of random disconnects is really pissing me off now.

Does anyone know the second number that the dialer dials?

I would like to be able to connect without using the dialer when the first number is engaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Your a lifesaver.
    Thanks for that.

Advertisement