Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath/Kildare By-Elections

Options
  • 06-03-2005 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Nothing here so far, so here goes.

Two by-elections in Meath and North Kildare.
    One in Meath to fill seat vacated by former Taoiseach John Bruton who was appointed EU embassador to the US. One in North Kildare is to fill seat vacated by ex-Finance Minister Charlie MacCreevey after he was appointed an EU commisioner.

Although they're only happening in two constitencies, they're very high profile votes, as they are going to be seen as tests of government popularity since the disastrous local elections last June. No sitting Irish government has won a by-election since the early eighties.

Both very significant seats in terms of morale for FF/FG.
    Losing John Bruton's seat to FF would be a major blow for FG and would mean that four out of five Dáil seats in Meath will be held by FF.
    Losing McCreavey's seat in Kildare would be very bad blow for FF.

A voting pact has been declared between FG/Labour. The Greens are still remaining aloof of such an agreement. But it will still be a strong indication of the strength of a possible potential alternative government to FF/PD in 2007.

Poll takes place this Friday the 11th of March.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I wish I could say that Joe Reilly has a good chance in Meath but.....

Anyway, I think it would be pretty sad if FF held 4 seats out of 5 in Meath

Actually, theres speculation that Kildare north may end up the only Dáil constituency with no FF t.d
    Would that be the first time ever?

Dub are you a Sinn Féin supporter? I'd never have known :p

Earthman wrote:

Dub are you a Sinn Féin supporter? I'd never have known :p

If I was allowed to vote (like most other EU countries :p)...... probably. I think Joe Reilly would be a good TD for Meath (much better than some anonymous brown noser for the government).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I wish I could say that Joe Reilly has a good chance in Meath but.....

Joe Reilly will poll well but he's not going to win a seat in first-past-the-post by-election situation.
    Meath is going to be cut into two new constituencies in 2007 because of population growth - Meath West and Meath East.
    Joe Reilly is highly likely to get a seat in the new Meath West three seater in 2007, since his highest concentration of support will nearly all be pooled in that new constituency.

You mean single transferable vote there dont you Gael? not first past the post?

ie pr

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think Joe Reilly would be a good TD for Meath
    Why?
    much better than some anonymous brown noser for the government
    How many anonymous brown nosers for the government are running for election, and how do they remain anonymous on the ballot paper?

Earthman wrote:
    You mean single transferable vote there dont you Gael? not first past the post?

ie pr

Well officially it's the PR system used in a general election. But since there is only one seat for the winning, it's first past the post for all practical purposes. I know there may be a limited amount of transfers from the lowest candidates, but there will be only on winner, as there is in first-past-the-post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Earthman wrote:
    Actually, theres speculation that Kildare north may end up the only Dáil constituency with no FF t.d

I'm not sure if it would be the first time evr or not but I thing Aine Brady will keep FF out here, it'd be a shame after so long. I've only met a few of the politicians and Aine has been the (personally speaking) nicest of them.

oscarBravo wrote:
    Why?

Because I think he would be good for Meath and better than the other candidates.... Eh what do you think?
    How many anonymous brown nosers for the government are running for election, and how do they remain anonymous on the ballot paper?

Cassells obviously. You really are disappointing in your attempt at slagging :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I suspect Paddy McNamara might just clinch the Kildare North seat.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    Why? How many anonymous brown nosers for the government are running for election, and how do they remain anonymous on the ballot paper?

I presume he means the FF candidate, Shane Cassells and the PD candidate Sirena Cambell.

Campbell does not stand a chance

The really odd thing about Kildare North is that there is no SF candidate. So allresources are going into Meath. The Ard-Fheis took Joe Reilly away from Navan on the last weekend before the poll. Not a good way to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Squaletto

Gael wrote:
    The really odd thing about Kildare North is that there is no SF candidate. So allresources are going into Meath. The Ard-Fheis took Joe Reilly away from Navan on the last weekend before the poll. Not a good way to be.

Good point there but there is reason to believe that most of Meath were glued to Adams' speech on TV thereby SF was on the minds of many a voter at the weekend. Go Joe go. :D

Aris Antony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

Gael wrote:
    Both very significant seats in terms of morale for FF/FG.
    Losing John Bruton's seat to FF would be a major blow for FG and would mean that four out of five Dáil seats in Meath will be held by FF.
    Losing McCreavey's seat in Kildare would be very bad blow for FF.

Not necessarily. The Govt lost every single by-election in their first term and went on the win the General Election.

Also, no Govt has won a by-election for 21 years.

Not necessarily. The Govt lost every single by-election in their first term and went on the win the General Election.

Also, no Govt has won a by-election for 21 years.

Yes I stated that in my original post. :rolleyes: And my point was that it's not any seat, it's the seat of a high ranking Minister(until he was moved). It is more significant to lose those type of seats than some anonymous backbencher seat.

Squaletto wrote:
    Good point there but there is reason to believe that most of Meath were glued to Adams' speech on TV thereby SF was on the minds of many a voter at the weekend. Go Joe go. :D

Aris Antony!

The Gerry Adams popularity magic has taken a beating recently. Joe would be better to emphasise his local work as a councillor at the moment, than emphasising the fact of being one of Gerry's understudies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

Gael wrote:
    Yes I stated that in my original post. :rolleyes: And my point was that it's not any seat, it's the seat of a high ranking Minister(until he was moved). It is more significant to lose those type of seats than some anonymous backbencher seat.

No I still feel the principle applies.

Also, I could be argued that that actually makes it harder for a Government to hold a seat since whatever candidate is parachuted in will pale in the former seatholder's political shadow.

Well it depends on the situation. Brady is in a very uneviable position, since she's not well known and is under a lot of pressure to keepa FF seat. But FF could have taken that seat a lot easier if Charlie McCreevey Jr.had been prepared to run. Ditto for Matt Bruton. The whole dynasty thing count counts for a lot(unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Matt Bruton is one of the most boring individuals in the world. Had a pint with him a few times.

In fact, he could create a "The Most Boring Man, Ever!" CD and it wouldn't sell at all.

• Advertisement

How do you know him?

I'm in YFG.

But ssssshhusssshh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

How do you know him?

And this is is the core qualification of why you find the discussion of politics on boards.ie frustrated.

The term "all politics are local", can frankly be cubed by any real political observer in ireland.

Simply put because of the small insular state of our nation combined with a delusional nature of a importance on a global scale we've developed two politica arenas.

Look at the by election. The traffic problems of a feeder county of dublin, become a national issue, not just because the candiate want to highlight it, but also because of a scariesty of regional news.

Most TDs are elected on the "Mrs O dwyer's driveway" vote, the vote that implies a community that a TD can get things sorted in a local community, get trees planted. One needs only to look at the desperate approach waterford had adopted to Micheal Martin, the rampant praise, despite his track record, in his local community, because of the power of td and the infulence a td can hold in his local community.

The majority of people on boards.ie are fed up with local politics I can remember the highlight of the PD member who canvased for Liz O Donnell outside my parents house when I was eligable for my first vote, I told him I was voting green and the best argument he offered was "The green party TD was the worst representive this area has ever recieved" I mean theres negative campaigning and theres just slagging. In the End I liked O'Donnell and through gritted teeth I watched her make several public stands on several issues, and finally about a few years afterwards I met her and said "seriously how can anyone with ethics work with the pds, and she gave me a smile"

The point of this rambling ancedote is this, the majority of us, I think are fed up with "Mrs O Dwyers tarmac politics from our tds, while are CCs are screwing us on bin tax and land rezoning. We need to seperate local politics and national politics, and stop expecting a TD to stand a round at his local as part of campaigning as a ordinary part of campaigning.

Once we try and diferentate, you'll get a lil more action and a lil else conversation.

I'm in YFG.

But ssssshhusssshh

I see. Well I think he intends to run in Meath in the long term.

mycroft wrote:
    And this is is the core qualification of why you find the discussion of politics on boards.ie frustrated.

The term "all politics are local", can frankly be cubed by any real political observer in ireland.

Simply put because of the small insular state of our nation combined with a delusional nature of a importance on a global scale we've developed two politica arenas.

Look at the by election. The traffic problems of a feeder county of dublin, become a national issue, not just because the candiate want to highlight it, but also because of a scariesty of regional news.

Most TDs are elected on the "Mrs O dwyer's driveway" vote, the vote that implies a community that a TD can get things sorted in a local community, get trees planted. One needs only to look at the desperate approach waterford had adopted to Micheal Martin, the rampant praise, despite his track record, in his local community, because of the power of td and the infulence a td can hold in his local community.

The majority of people on boards.ie are fed up with local politics I can remember the highlight of the PD member who canvased for Liz O Donnell outside my parents house when I was eligable for my first vote, I told him I was voting green and the best argument he offered was "The green party TD was the worst representive this area has ever recieved" I mean theres negative campaigning and theres just slagging. In the End I liked O'Donnell and through gritted teeth I watched her make several public stands on several issues, and finally about a few years afterwards I met her and said "seriously how can anyone with ethics work with the pds, and she gave me a smile"

The point of this rambling ancedote is this, the majority of us, I think are fed up with "Mrs O Dwyers tarmac politics from our tds, while are CCs are screwing us on bin tax and land rezoning. We need to seperate local politics and national politics, and stop expecting a TD to stand a round at his local as part of campaigning as a ordinary part of campaigning.

Once we try and diferentate, you'll get a lil more action and a lil else conversation.

You make some very good points that I agree with. But don't be so sure that Ireland alone is like this politically.
    The American politician Tip O'Neill stated that "All politics is local"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

mycroft wrote:

The problem here, I think, is the multi-seat constituencies. People, if they want something done, will play one TD against another until they get what they want. It makes far more sense than going to the appropriate county councilor since, if there is a refusal, where else can they go? The TDs therefore compete with one another on local infrastructure issues when their job is supposed to be representing local areas on national and legislative issues. Very few people would think to approach a CC these days on issues about pot-holes and street lighting.

Gael wrote:
    I see. Well I think he intends to run in Meath in the long term.
    Good for him. He's a nice, genuine guy. I'm sure he'd make a good politician. Wouldn't exactly beg him to come to my party though.

I presume you know him via NUIM channels. He pops round my part of the university world now and again too. I'd give him a vote, if he was in our constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Any Chance of adding a pool to this thread Mods? We haven't had one in a while.

I think the lack of infrastructure in Sallins and Clane will be the main voting point for most people in kildare, houses have been thrown up everywhere but no extra schools have been provided. The bad planning of FF is producing alot of issues in Kildare and Meath.

Seems we've had our first election "infamous incident" :p

Minister apologises for swearing at farmer

Minister for Agriculture Mary Coughlan has apologised for swearing at a farmer during a heated exchange while canvassing in Co Meath.

The apology followed newspaper reports yesterday that Ms Coughlan told a farmer to "f*** off" during a visit to his farm at Ardrath on the Meath/Dublin border.

However, the Minister's version of events are at odds with those of the farmer, Michael Dunican, a prominent farmer and former captain of the Meath county football team during the late 1950s and 1960s.

In a statement yesterday Ms Coughlan confirmed an incident had occurred. "On arrival in the yard this man seemed very upset by events relating to a herd test," she said.

"This had taken place earlier in the week. Very early in the conversation he became more upset, raising his voice and becoming very aggressive. I apologise for any bad language that slipped out in a situation of my feeling very threatened."

She also praised her Garda driver for "dealing with the situation expeditiously".

Ms Coughlan said she had asked her officials to examine any issues arising from the test.

Telephone callers to Mr Dunican's home yesterday were told he was not available and was away.

However, in an interview with the Sunday Independent, the farmer who said he was a lifelong Fianna Fáil supporter, claimed Ms Coughlan swore at him several times after he had raised a number of agricultural issues, and the Punchestown event centre.

"Then I asked her if she knew what the difference was between liquid milk [ production] and creamery milk," he is reported to have said. "She asked me if I thought she didn't know. I said back to her if she knew it then she could explain it. Then she replied: 'Would you ever f*** off.' Then she said it again and again."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Gael wrote:
    You make some very good points that I agree with. But don't be so sure that Ireland alone is like this politically.
    The American politician Tip O'Neill stated that "All politics is local"

I'm aware of the quote.

But people expect there TD to sort out problems that are more the CC remit. Planting of trees on roads, planning permission etc.

We take our local politics to an absurd level

Advertisement