Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath/Kildare By-Elections

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Because I think he would be good for Meath and better than the other candidates.... Eh what do you think?
    I don't know anything about the man. You said he'd be good for the constituency. I asked why. You said because he'd be good for the constituency.

Hell, sign me up, I'm convinced.
    Cassells obviously.
    Ah, an anonymous candidate with a name.
    You really are disappointing in your attempt at slagging
    Who's slagging? You're promoting a candidate on the grounds that, um, well, he'd be good. You're dissing another candidate on the grounds that he's an anonymous brown-noser.

Way to debate the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

I was in Naas and Maynooth at the weekend canvasing with Paddy MacNamara for Labour. I would say that he is definitely in there with a bit of luck. I think that Fergal Scully might be his only opposition. I agree that Catherine Murphy is top of the opinion poll and Gerry Browne is polling well. Both of these candiadates are Labour independents. Catherine was in the party until resently and will likely vote with Labour in the Dail on most National issues. Gerry didn't get the nomination and is running as "Independent Labour". Now thats a large amount of support for Labour.

It is my believe that the independent/localism politics is making a well deserved decline in Ireland. I think that Catherine Murphy will not get the largest first preferences and infact FG's Fergal Scully just might get teh most first preferences. But I think the transfers from the independent labour candiadates will get Paddy MacNamara in. He is highly liked and topped the poll in the local elections. He definitly has the majority of Naas votes from what I can see.

As for the electoral system in a by election. It is the most representiative.
    PR, with the Single-transferible vote. Unlike the mismatch of Multi-Candiadate Constituancies with PR. Basically the transfers will continue until a candiadate reachs the quota or all other candiadates are eliminated.

Expect large spoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

oscarBravo wrote:
    I don't know anything about the man. You said he'd be good for the constituency. I asked why. You said because he'd be good for the constituency.

Hell, sign me up, I'm convinced.

To be perfectly honest, I don't give a flying duck if you do not find out why Joe Reilly will be good for the constituency from me. Another one of these click the finger moments eh?

I am not here to sign anyone so unless you intend to find out what the candidates are offering, you are going to find it pretty tough to vote in the Meath constituency.

Ah, an anonymous candidate with a name.

Who's slagging? You're promoting a candidate on the grounds that, um, well, he'd be good.

You're dissing another candidate on the grounds that he's an anonymous brown-noser.

Way to debate the issues.

Cassells has a bright future in Politics ahead of him but he is an anonymous figure to the people I know in the Meath consituency. Maybe he is not anonymous to the people you know in Meath? He is effectively on the fast track programme within FF and for that he will go along with everything Bertie tells him to. A good backbench TD who will not question his leader - It is my opinion that the country can do without another one of those.

I offered an opinion(not a debating paper) that a 4th FF seat in Meath would not be a good thing. I also offered an opinion (not promoting) that Joe Reilly would be good for the constituecy.

I am not here to get you to vote for Joe Reilly and if putting forward a debating paper is now a pre-requisite for contributing to threads on boards, the vast majority of people here will be fcuked.

You have 2 posts in this thread and you have not even offered an opinion (not a debating paper) on either of the 2 by-elections. You seem more pre-occupied with gamesmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mycroft wrote:
    And this is is the core qualification of why you find the discussion of politics on boards.ie frustrated.

The term "all politics are local", can frankly be cubed by any real political observer in ireland.

Simply put because of the small insular state of our nation combined with a delusional nature of a importance on a global scale we've developed two politica arenas.

Most TDs are elected on the "Mrs O dwyer's driveway" vote, the vote that implies a community that a TD can get things sorted in a local community, get trees planted. One needs only to look at the desperate approach waterford had adopted to Micheal Martin, the rampant praise, despite his track record, in his local community, because of the power of td and the infulence a td can hold in his local community.

Once we try and diferentate, you'll get a lil more action and a lil else conversation.

Very true, but one of the reasons for this is that central government were reluctant to give back to local government over the years. Now with the dual mandate gone, that is, someone can't be a member of both local and central government, I think more power will be given to local government. :rolleyes:

However I would add, that many local authorities/governments have not helped themselves by creating nightmares for central government. :eek: you only have to look at carrickmines, hill of tara, to name only two cases, here central government gave money to the NRA who then passed it onto the local authorities to pay architects to draw up the route. And we know the cost of those mistakes.

It will take time, but as the population grows in the various areas, central government will begin to realise that a 1-size-fits-all in terms of laws may not work, and the local authority will be given the power to selctively impose laws. the classic example would be the new speed limits, which are to be set by local government. another example was the 9 oclock watershed for kids in pubs etc.

As for a Sinn Fein candidate for Kildare, can't see this happening.
    Don't know their recent policies, but in the 1997 election, my interpretations of their policies was that they proposed to increase corporation tax whilst reducing personal taxation. They also wanted to increase waste charges on industry and charge individual households nothing, thereby creating no incentive for individual households to cutback on their waste. They also want the same model applied to water charges.
    Hence, cripple industry with charges and allow individuals pay less tax. Kildare as we know is home to big American IT companies who came MAINLY BECAUSE OF OUR TAX STATUS, increasing taxes on them would cause them to consider leaving. Are the people in kildare going to vote for policies whch may cause them to loose their jobs. As for Meath West, I'm at a loss with regards to the number of big multinationals there :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

To be perfectly honest, I don't give a flying duck if you do not find out why Joe Reilly will be good for the constituency from me. Another one of these click the finger moments eh?
    My my, aren't we defensive. Why bother expressing an opinion if you're not prepared to back it up?
    I am not here to sign anyone so unless you intend to find out what the candidates are offering, you are going to find it pretty tough to vote in the Meath constituency.
    Being a registered voter in Mayo, I'd find it pretty tough anyway.
    Cassells has a bright future in Politics ahead of him but he is an anonymous figure to the people I know in the Meath consituency. Maybe he is not anonymous to the people you know in Meath?
    Where I come from, anonymous means "without a name". Even allowing for a figurative interpretation of the word, I find it hard to reconcile the concept of "anonymous" with "bright future in politics".
    He is effectively on the fast track programme within FF and for that he will go along with everything Bertie tells him to.
    How do you know?
    A good backbench TD who will not question his leader - It is my opinion that the country can do without another one of those.
    What TD would you hold up instead as a role model of rebellion?
    I offered an opinion(not a debating paper) that a 4th FF seat in Meath would not be a good thing. I also offered an opinion (not promoting) that Joe Reilly would be good for the constituecy.
    ...and I asked you the basis for those opinions. Why is that such a problem for you?
    I am not here to get you to vote for Joe Reilly and if putting forward a debating paper is now a pre-requisite for contributing to threads on boards, the vast majority of people here will be fcuked.
    Who said anything about prerequisites for contributing?
    You have 2 posts in this thread and you have not even offered an opinion (not a debating paper) on either of the 2 by-elections. You seem more pre-occupied with gamesmanship.
    Right now the most interesting thing about this thread for me is how upset you seem to be at being asked a straightforward question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

oscarBravo wrote:
    My my, aren't we defensive. Why bother expressing an opinion if you're not prepared to back it up? Being a registered voter in Mayo, I'd find it pretty tough anyway. Where I come from, anonymous means "without a name". Even allowing for a figurative interpretation of the word, I find it hard to reconcile the concept of "anonymous" with "bright future in politics". How do you know? What TD would you hold up instead as a role model of rebellion? ...and I asked you the basis for those opinions. Why is that such a problem for you? Who said anything about prerequisites for contributing? Right now the most interesting thing about this thread for me is how upset you seem to be at being asked a straightforward question.

I have bigger fish to fry (so to speak) so you will have to wait for your little games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gael wrote:
    However, the Minister's version of events are at odds with those of the farmer, Michael Dunican, a prominent farmer and former captain of the Meath county football team during the late 1950s and 1960s.

And as you noted earlier in this thread "All Politics is Local" and a Golden rule of same in Ireland is 'Never Offend the GAA' :)

At least they won't trouble Mary by making her canvass in Meath in the miserable could again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I watched Q&A tonight, and I have to say that Shane Cassells wears red lipstick and brown nosepaint. He speaks with no conviction, I can't believe how well he remembered and recited what FF PR had told him to say prior to the show. He speaks like a nervous schoolboy, and he and Sirena Campbell are no-hopers. They used their 30 second slot at the end to say what, exactly? Im in a government party, we've two years left, get me in there so I can get used to the Dail bar??!!?? O Gogain didnt seem to have a lot to say for a man who complained for lack of media coverage. Joe Reilly seems a puppet too. Hannigan or McEntee, folks? A man with a background knowledge in planning and infrastructure is exactly what Meath needs at present, with rail links, motorways, toll roads, unfinished housing estates, communities without schools, playing fields or hospitals and incineration plans are bound to affect Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

gom wrote:
    Fergal Scully
    gom wrote:
    FG's Fergal Scully

Graham, his name is Darren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 gerrydublin

upmeath wrote:
    I watched Q&A tonight, A man with a background knowledge in planning and infrastructure is exactly what Meath needs at present, with rail links, motorways, toll roads, unfinished housing estates, communities without schools, playing fields or hospitals and incineration plans are bound to affect Meath

rail links - any new route/ design is decided by Iarnrod Eireann or the RPA in association with local government not central government. As said earlier central government only provide the finance to these agencies!

motorways, toll roads- again any new route/ design is decided by NRA in association with local government and perhaps NSC but not central government. As said earlier central government only provide the finance to these agencies!

unfinished housing estates- that's between local government and the builder

communities without schools - that's between local government and the Dept of Education. Central government only agree the annual budget for the each dept.

playing fields - that's local government, perhaps some assistance from Dept of Environment, either way central government only agree the annual budget for the each dept.

hospitals - that's local government and dept of health, again central government only agree funding for the dept each year.

incineration plans - that's local government, part of their waste mangement plans

so why the hell is this man running for central government and not local government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

upmeath wrote:
    Hannigan or McEntee, folks? A man with a background knowledge in planning and infrastructure is exactly what Meath needs at present, with rail links, motorways, toll roads, unfinished housing estates, communities without schools, playing fields or hospitals and incineration plans are bound to affect Meath

You don't need to be an engineer to realise that you shouldn't be building hundreds of housing estates all over a county, without providing the adequate infrastructure for the extras thousands of people who will occupy them. It's about plain cop on.
    To be quite honesty I'm not convinced of Mary Hanafin's ability to deal with the problems of the education system just on the basis of here background as a teacher.
    Anyway, engineers are the people who do the practical work on the ground, they don't do the planning and the political level is where the planning happens. My Da's a Civil Engineer with a PhD and he doesn't know squat about social planning. All he wants to know is "Where do I pour the concrete?"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would anyone like to stick their neck out at this late stage and say who they think will take seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

i'll go indepeandant in Kildare and Shane cassells ff in Meath, apparantly ff have giving up hope on Kildare and don't want labour or fg winning the seat so will push for the indepentant candidate, can't remember the name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

FF will win neither too mcuh anti-gov feeling at the mo but come 2007 general election i can see the same two parties in power

Now go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Badabing wrote:
    i'll go indepeandant in Kildare and Shane cassells ff in Meath, apparantly ff have giving up hope on Kildare and don't want labour or fg winning the seat so will push for the indepentant candidate, can't remember the name.

I think Murphy and Walsh are the only 2 independants in Kildare.

Yeah thats right catherine murphy, i think she is now favourite to win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

But her and McNamara are the only 2 that I havent seen campaigning around where I am. The rest ahve been around but I havent spotted either of them. Maybe I just missed them though. I still hold hope for Brady

Would anyone like to stick their neck out at this late stage and say who they think will take seats?

In Meath, Cassells(FF) will probably get the highest number of first preferences, but I think Shane MacEntee(FG) will get it on the basis of anti-FF transfers.

I reckon it could be the same situation in Kildare North, though the independent there is very strong so she could be a good bet.

I'm more confident of my Meath prediction.

Also if Shane Cassells wins ff will have 4/5 tds in meath and cause nightmares for the party come the genral election.

There will be an extra seat in 2007 though(i.e. two three seater constituencies) although yes it will still be very hard to keep four seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

Badabing wrote:
    Also if Shane Cassells wins ff will have 4/5 tds in meath and cause nightmares for the party come the genral election.

No because Meath becomes 2 constituencies in 2007, Meath East and Meath West (which will include part of Westmeath), so technically it wont be a question of "this constituency still having 4 out of 5 as FF TD's.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Arabel wrote:
    I think Murphy and Walsh are the only 2 independants in Kildare.
    Walsh is a PDer!

Advertisement