Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation Gown Gripe

Options
  • 06-03-2005 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey
    i'm supposed to graduate on the 15th and i need a gown, but they are 37euro to rent for about two hours. this level of consumer gouging sickens me and I want to get around paying this. if anyone has a gown suitable for a graduate diploma from the smurfit school, i will rent it for 15euro. otherwise anyone got any ideas to avoid being ripped off like this?
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The gowns are probably exactly the same ones used for graduations in every other university and are probably rented by the same company. They've always been a rip off and by the sounds of things nothing has changed.

There are probably plent of people out there with non-returned gowns but you'll have more difficulty getting whatever colours you're supposed to graduate in to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Did they specific what type of gown needed?
    If not, dressing gown all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

You can be conferred in absentia. You stay at home watching TV and eating crisps and are conferred as though you were there. If you want to go, it's 37 euro to rent the gowns. It sucks, it's not fair, it's a pain. Not much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

It sucks, it's not fair, it's a pain. Not much you can do about it.
    True, the colour of the scarf on your gon is specific to your college (Humanities, Electronics, etc)... so finding one that matches is a long shot...

Advertisement