Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You're a star

• 07-03-2005 2:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

anyone any thoughts on that terrible song that those two gingers are taking to kiev to represent ireland with. its oddly catchy, and cant get it out of my head :mad: me thinks "Irlande Nul Poin" ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Nul points for us this year then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

RTE's devious "no way are we paying to host that ****e again" plan in action. Has been very successful for the last few years. In fact the whole you're-a-bag-of-****e thing has been a money spinner for them with all the 'tards voting for their local talentless oiks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Must admit to watching bits of the final - I'm so ashamed :o
    Yes it's kinda catchy alright - too repetitive though...

That D'Arcy is officially the worst presenter ever - he'd drown head first without his autocue blasting at him from a 32" plazma in the audience. And the fact he makes no effort to conceal he's reading is even worse. I dunno, young people nowadays...mutter mutter...bring back Charles Mitchell....rant rave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

this show is a complete joke,, and please tell me that the audience didn't have to pay for a ticket? if they did they are the biggest wasters ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

simu wrote:
    Nul points for us this year then.

Actually, I think that's very unlikely.

It's no winner, but it's simple/repetitive, reasonably catchy, chugs along fairly agreeably, has the twee Irish dancing factor etc which will go down well in Europe. I'm sure it'll make it through from the semi-finals into the finals and probably will score somewhere in the middle.

And to anyone who criticises the song, it could be so much worse:
    Ding-a-dong every hour
    When you pick a flower
    Even when your lover is gone, gone, gone
    Ding-a-dong, listen to it
    Maybe it’s a big hit
    Even when your lover is gone, gone, gone
    Sing ding ding dong

Need I say more? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

I thought the girl band were much better and I voted for them :( but no look. And for them gingers they are crap but there song is crap and wrecks the head. :mad:

That jade lot are atrocious!! so very very bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

On some songs, Jade sound OK. But on their eurovision song, they sound like the Cranberries (and not in a good way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You're a Star is nothing more than "GAA the Musical"

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 oomph

tintinr35 wrote:
    taking to kiev to represent ireland with.
    This isn't true, as Ireland did so bad in the last eurovision, they are going to another round with about 10 other countries who also did terrrible last year, and from there one will be selected.

As for the title of this thread.

Your a star X
    __________.__/
    You're a star \/

• Advertisement

TmB wrote:
    On some songs, Jade sound OK. But on their eurovision song, they sound like the Cranberries (and not in a good way).

I agree yesterday they were not the best but usually they perform well

no they don't..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 oomph

Jade are terrible, so crap. And there image is even worse, they are messy looking.

They do well sometimes. Who do you think should of one then eh? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Haha, people actually take this god awful show seriously. Don't worry, after the eurovision, the Afternoon Show is all they will be appearing on. Jade suck donkeys by the way, big huge 7 foot singer mutant and all. Her voice was breaking during some parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

How unprofessional is Ray Darcy. He actually said this to Jade "Now I'll just talk to you and fill in while they set up your junk on stage". Smooth Ray. I think he writes the script with some Moorhouse fella, they should be shot. It has to have been one of the most amateurish shows I've ever seen. Did you see how loose it was at the end when everyone invaded the stage at the end? Ray was nowhere to be seen but you could hear him muttering stuff on his mic. Give him the sack! There has to be someone better and more attractive than him to carry the show.....

Giblet wrote:
    big huge 7 foot singer mutant and all.

LMAO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Mohanned wrote:
    And for them gingers they are crap but there song is crap and wrecks the head. :mad:

I think we have a real Eurovision winner then!!

Seriously though, the Eurovision is all about a performance, not about song writing or singing.
    Jade were talented, and good luck to them.
    However, the gingers song sounds like a total one-off performance perfect for Eurovision.
    I mean, can you imagine it coming from an album??
    And the irish dancing bit in between... cheesey as hell, but the big stage of Eurovision will probably lap it up (they should chug a pint of guinness mid way thro the song too... if the little lad is old enough).
    I think it's actually bad enough to win the damn thing! :eek:

(I cant wait for Terry Wogans comment on the irish jig bit!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Production values on this years show were much better than previous years, fair enough darcy was readin off a plasma screen for autocue, but so did everyone at the oscars! And RTE as for your comment of him drowning without it...well have you ever done 2 hour long programmes without autocue?? Dont think so its practically impossible!

Enii, as for the unprofessional ccomment about Mr D'Arcy, he would not be working in the industry for the past 20 years at the level he is at if he was unprofessional. The Mammys love him, the girlfriends love him and most lads think hes good presenter and someone they would go for a pint with! Explain why he is unprofessional, if his sound was up at end it was sound mixer or director's prob, not his, and as for the stage being invaded at end, that was also planned.

As for the winning song itself, yeah fair enough its cheeeeeeeese, but i tell ya, eurovision is all about cheeeeeese and if you hear it again, stand back and forget about chart positions, or pub/club playability but think if you were hans or johan listening for a song which is catchy, has something relevent to the country in it(Riverdance bit in middle!) and has a quirk(the fact that they are so young and bro and sis) and i think you will eventually see that this song will prob make top 5 in Eurovision this year!

Production values on this years show were much better than previous years, fair enough darcy was readin off a plasma screen for autocue, but so did everyone at the oscars! And RTE as for your comment of him drowning without it...well have you ever done 2 hour long programmes without autocue?? Dont think so its practically impossible!

Enii, as for the unprofessional ccomment about Mr D'Arcy, he would not be working in the industry for the past 20 years at the level he is at if he was unprofessional. The Mammys love him, the girlfriends love him and most lads think hes good presenter and someone they would go for a pint with! Explain why he is unprofessional, if his sound was up at end it was sound mixer or director's prob, not his, and as for the stage being invaded at end, that was also planned.

As for the winning song itself, yeah fair enough its cheeeeeeeese, but i tell ya, eurovision is all about cheeeeeese and if you hear it again, stand back and forget about chart positions, or pub/club playability but think if you were hans or johan listening for a song which is catchy, has something relevent to the country in it(Riverdance bit in middle!) and has a quirk(the fact that they are so young and bro and sis) and i think you will eventually see that this song will prob make top 5 in Eurovision this year!
    someone needs to get out more

• Advertisement

Fair enough comment... Back it up though:)

ok so

;)

Wow D!ve^Bomb! its amazing how most of your answers consist of up to 5 words max or LMAO, Haha, LOL, and so on.. your nearly on same mental level of a monkey now!Congrats :D

Seriously though, if you had to do the whole eurovision thing how would ya go about it and who would you have presenting?

whiskeyman wrote:
    I think we have a real Eurovision winner then!!

Seriously though, the Eurovision is all about a performance, not about song writing or singing.
    Jade were talented, and good luck to them.
    However, the gingers song sounds like a total one-off performance perfect for Eurovision.
    I mean, can you imagine it coming from an album??
    And the irish dancing bit in between... cheesey as hell, but the big stage of Eurovision will probably lap it up (they should chug a pint of guinness mid way thro the song too... if the little lad is old enough).
    I think it's actually bad enough to win the damn thing! :eek:

(I cant wait for Terry Wogans comment on the irish jig bit!)

TBH I dont see amything happening

Wow D!ve^Bomb! its amazing how most of your answers consist of up to 5 words max or LMAO, Haha, LOL, and so on.. your nearly on same mental level of a monkey now!Congrats :D

well actually, if you look up any of my posts since september of 2003, you will see that i have only EVER replied to a thread with 'LMAO' ONCE, and i never use lol.. good try though

and that was the LMAO in this thread:) Havent time to go through others posts again, but cam across a few alright:) Anyway anything constructive to say about the point of thread rather than just giving out about it, or is that the limit?

giving out about anything to do with you're a start or the eurovision seems constructive to me..

Ah thats where your getting confused, you see you are being "destructive" with nothing to say of any intrest or value to making the programme better, except for moaning and giving out and going on a rant. You are not being constructive by giving out about everything without giving a valid point and explination on how to solve it:) Does it make sense now?

(and before you say cancel it, which will not happen as ireland have to find some way of gettin people to sing in the god damn competition and RTE Are makin too much money off it! i mean changes in your opinion to improve it)

i say cancel it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That winning song is brutal, and the performance just looked so fake. It didn't seem like they wanted to be there, they're not natural performers. Having said that, I thought Jade were equally as poor. I couldn't see either of these songs making it out of the qualifing round this year.

This is the first time I've seen You're a "Star" this year and if that's the best they can come up with after 6 months then the rest of it must have been some bag of horse poo.

I've seen better performances from people on Faking It, after just a weeks training. These people had six months!

I'm sure RTE are lapping it up again with all the millions they've made from the show and only having to spend peanuts on putting it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I am absolutely delighted to see a return of 90's childrens fave Mossop and Tiddler reunited as 'The Riddlers' represent our country in this years eurovision

mossop.jpgtiddler.jpg

I Rest my case:)
    D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    i say cancel it

When is the eurovision this year anyway people?

oh actually one thing that truely pissed me off!!!! and i mean PISSED me off!! was when all the previous 'contestants' came on at the start and sang that Paddy Casey song.. WHY!!!????? just to fill up the hour i guess, they just kept singing the same thing over and over.. but the thing that pissed me off was.... THEY WERE MIMING!!!! AAARRRGHH!!

True that was utter balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Two things came to mind when I seen the winning song last night, firstly it reminded me of one of those kiddie karaokes that you would see at Mosney, when Mam and Dad would be having a drink and the kiddies get up to sing a song and everybody gives them a charitable round of applause at the end.

Secondly the song sounded much the same as those Eastern European efforts that we have all laughed at for years, thinking to ourselves thank god we'd never come up with something like that.

Seriously though, I thought it was supposed to be a song contest, how can RTE justify selecting just 3 songs on the countrys behalf? It's no coincidince that Ireland Eurovision entries have been so bad since You're a Star started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

for gods sake grow up will ye?
    eurovision is crap and d'arcy is annoying but calling the girls in jade 'Freaks' and the other group 'gingers' is frankly childish and stupid.

i don't give a crap about the show or the acts that perform on it but that sort of talk is very irritating to have to read.

That dubbed part was woeful! I had to turn it off it was so embarrassing. The girls were the worst cause their recordings were much more intimate than others and sounded completely out of place on a large stage.

Father ted9t9, Mr D'Arcy is completely unprofessional in such a context on television. Hosting a successful radio programme and presenting the Den does not automatically make you professional: in those fields yes, but hosting You're A Star no.
    He thrives, indeed his whole act centres around being clumsy, highlighting production matters, making light of the pathetic script he churns out with that other guy, and all round comes across as crass and clunky as Marian Finucane on Crimelinex5.

I've no problem with autocue, indeed I advocate its use if the presenter is capable of using it. I even like Ray, he's just not the man for that job. Somewhat like Tubridy, the highlighting of production matters to cover your own unprofessionalism wears a bit thin after a while.

As for the production values this year, I didn't watch the other shows cause I so dispaired at the vision mixing and camerawork last year - as mundane as the day is long. The finals last night seemed an improvement alright.
    And that bit at thye end where Ray could be heard muttering was the sound mixer's fault, although saying that Ray should've at least said goodnight out of common courtesy and as a means of cueing the director to close sound...

for gods sake grow up will ye?
    eurovision is crap and d'arcy is annoying but calling the girls in jade 'Freaks' and the other group 'gingers' is frankly childish and stupid.

i don't give a crap about the show or the acts that perform on it but that sort of talk is very irritating to have to read.
    shut up ya freak.. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

(and before you say cancel it, which will not happen as ireland have to find some way of gettin people to sing in the god damn competition and RTE Are makin too much money off it!
    Umm why not use the old "Song for Europe" system that worked for years, allowed us to win it, and didn't take 864 editions a year to get through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

They still have to qualify from a 10 country group to qualify for the Eurovision, these gingers are going nowhere

• Advertisement

RTE wrote:
    And that bit at thye end where Ray could be heard muttering was the sound mixer's fault, although saying that Ray should've at least said goodnight out of common courtesy and as a means of cueing the director to close sound...
    The Director is boss RTE, and as you well know what he says goes, when he wants to kill sound he does it, its not down to getting cues from a presenter, its down to a bit of cop on and in fairness, as he was reading off autocue, the dir should have known when it was over by just listening and checkin script for roughly when the end line was read, now unless Mr D'Arcy went off on a tangent(Which he didnt) Its not that hard to spot when he finished, he did cue different cameras and roll end tune but didnt kill sound, it was his mistake not Mr D'Arcys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I still stand by my point that was unprofessional of Darcy to refer to Jades equipment as "Junk" - don't even think of defending this as being in anyway professional. And then the way he let us know that what he was doing was filling in time while the stage is arranged. Thanks Ray but we don't need the running commentary of what is going on, it is fairly apparent. Professionals don't draw attention to these things they just get on with the job. Inept so-called professionals.....well that's a different story......

As for leaving the two sets of contestants hanging on for the result while he again repeated the poor attempt of a joke re. mother day - professional? I think not.

well afaik he didn't say 'junk' he said they would talk while they get her drums onto the stage.. unless i missed somethin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's no coincidince that Ireland Eurovision entries have been so bad since You're a Star started.

Well they were quite dismal in the couple of years prior to You're A Star, so we can't blame it for the demise of Ireland's Eurovision "fortunes".
    Umm why not use the old "Song for Europe" system that worked for years, allowed us to win it, and didn't take 864 editions a year to get through?

Because they won't make all the lovely weekly income of the voting. Nor will they have a nice schedule filler of the "Pop Idol" ilk (without the hefty royalty to Simon Fuller) which gets lots of attention.

The old "Song For Europe" system came in for just as much criticism as You're A Star anyway, so RTE are in a bit of a no win situation really!

I thought the Mother's Day quip was quite funny actually :) He introduced a similar delay last year as I recall.

Agreed Father ted9t9, it is the director's job to call the shots - I referred to the sound mixer being at fault as the control room in general, they should've wrapped up properly. They didn't even have the cop on to fade up the sig tune at the end to smooth it off nicely. I maintain though that D'Arcy as presenter should have offered the director the opportunity to wrap up rather than leave it hanging in the way he did. To put another person in that position Pat Kenny or Gay Byrne would've had a final conclusive word and then left it up to the director when to close.

Of course what is ironic above all is that he has that much-vaunted earpiece in his ear! Eh communication...?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Maybe there is hope that the abomination that is You're a star will be cancelled:

See here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

we can live in hope :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

oomph wrote:
    Jade are terrible, so crap. And there image is even worse, they are messy looking.

exactly. they look well...jaded. double chins and too much make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What costs more though, winning the eurovision (and subsequent staging in your own country) or the produtcion costs of you're a star.

Hosting the eurov cost millions but you're a star most cost a good bit too.
    Either way it is sickening to see my hard earned money being used to fund this absolute shlte, hopefully that something happens with that EU investigation and the licence fee gets scrapped, fuucking rapists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

...jaded. .
    Good 1.....Original.... Not... :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement