Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being short Changed

Options
  • 07-03-2005 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    sorry if wrong forum

here is what happened to me :
    I had 50euro note, bought something in post office for 4.90, got back
    15.10 (ie change from a 20) I only realised this after I left the shop - as when the girl handed me my change, I was distracted as she lost my receipt.

Now when I went back in, the girl said, she'd have to wait till end of day to cash up - fair enough I used to work in retail, this is what we used to do.

Now at the end of the day, the till was actually short money (they wouldn't say how much) - and they said I can't get money back.

I asked them could I see the till receipt (as since the girl lost the receipt that was printed out, she hand wrote one. and they refused saying they don't enter the 'cash tendered' in the till (this is an Post by the way) they said everything is done by head calculations.
    I then asked could my transaction be on camera and they refused that too

I've to wait for the guy who deals with this in head office to get back to me.

any advice ?? is this a case of my word Vs theirs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

It is a case of your word against theirs but stick with it. Keep on the phone to her boss and don't back down until your money back. They obviously make many other mistakes if the take was out when you went back. Just keep insisting. Most banks have a slush fund that they will prob. just pay you out of. Write a letter in to the tellers senior, that should get some results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

same thing happened to me before in Dunnes in North Earl St.
    I didnt realise till I left the store and went back in to complain.

They said they would check the till at cob but it was down too, so they could do nothing about it as i didnt check my change at the time of the transaction.

Once bitten, twice shy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Since An Post is a state body, you can discuss this matter with the Ombudsman, and of course you can also use the Freedom of Information Act (to get that video, for example). I found the Ombudsman very helpful, but it's a slow process. I'd be inclined to work your way up the chain locally first, mentioning that you're aware of these options, but that you'd like to get it sorted out with the minimum off fuss. If they have any sense, they'll take the opportunity.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

dahamsta wrote:
    Since An Post is a state body, you can discuss this matter with the Ombudsman, and of course you can also use the Freedom of Information Act (to get that video, for example). I found the Ombudsman very helpful, but it's a slow process. I'd be inclined to work your way up the chain locally first, mentioning that you're aware of these options, but that you'd like to get it sorted out with the minimum off fuss. If they have any sense, they'll take the opportunity.

adam

super thanks for this, I got a call from the department who deals with teh complaints and they said they are waiting for the branch to get back to them with their side of the story, and they would then get back to me ..

Advertisement