Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which PDA

Options
  • 07-03-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking to buy a PDA of some sort.....considering the axim x30 or x50......need word + excel and some form of connectivity to my main pc, may consider the xda from O2.

Would appreciate some ideas from people who have one or intend getting one

tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I have the Axim X50 and I think they're great. When I used to get the bus a lot I even put TV programs on it to watch. Personally I'd avoid the XDA, I've never had one, but I did have an Ericsson P800 and I discovered I'd much prefer a smaller phone that was just a phone and have a PDA that did all my PDA needs so I wouldn't have to carry it on my person at all times (could leave it in my jacket...etc). I'd also get a 1GB card with it as well, you won't have to worry about needing any disk space then too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The I-mate Jam (aka Xda Mini) is getting a lot of good reviews basically its a handset sized PocketPC and mobile phone.

I would guess your first decision is whether you want a pda or a mobile phone. I got rid of my axim and bought a MS smartphone coz it could do all the things I was using a pda for.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

Cant fault it.

battery excellent,

Processor speed, good, (Mines the 332 mhz) can run a little slowly with lots of programs running

Wifi, this is why I really got it, use the wifi in work and at home, both excellent, also possible to browse interent with out it being too annoying,

Bonus,

was in Paris recently, had Pocket streets with entire map of Paris, Also most places I was able to get onto a Wifi connection and surf away free, some were free hot spots other unsecured personal networks.

I have also taken to reading novels off it via MS reader,

Really great peice of kit,

R

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Thanks redzer,

starting to get some ideas now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

my laptop died a few weeks ago (yeah I know; too bad, so sad), I was also thinking of getting an X30 with one of those foldable keyboards (not the bluetooth one though). The dell site says the keyboard is usb, does the x30 actually have a usb port or is there some kind of adaptor needed? They look like decent little gadgets, I'd rather get one of those for €350 than pay megabucks for another ipaq. Have a 3600 series ipaq and the battery has shuffled off it's mortal coil. Let us know how you get on with your impending purchase wideband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

rymus wrote:
    my laptop died a few weeks ago (yeah I know; too bad, so sad), I was also thinking of getting an X30 with one of those foldable keyboards (not the bluetooth one though). The dell site says the keyboard is usb, does the x30 actually have a usb port or is there some kind of adaptor needed? They look like decent little gadgets, I'd rather get one of those for €350 than pay megabucks for another ipaq. Have a 3600 series ipaq and the battery has shuffled off it's mortal coil. Let us know how you get on with your impending purchase wideband
    I've got an X50, one assumes if the X30 had a USB port then so would the X50. The X50 doesn't, but if you need an adaptor they must give you one too. Out of curiousity why not the bluetooth keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

No usb on mine anyway

but I forgot to mention the SD slot (up to a gig of storage)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Out of curiousity why not the bluetooth keyboard?

To be honest... I dont really know why not. Probably because I dont have a great history of getting bluetooth devices to work, I only once managed to pair my phone with another phone. That and it's twice the price might have something to do with it. And the battery life. what is the battery life with a bt keyboard anyway?

Advertisement