Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Frontman?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Surprised it took this long for Morrissons name to be mentioned. Frontmen have to front bands not solo artists whereby they have to have some kind of stage prescence anywhooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Jesse Lacey---Brand New

Matt Davies----Funeral For A Friend

Adam Lazarra----Taking Back Sunday

Bert McCracken----The Used

Emo and a half or what?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Surely it's obvious that the greatest frontman of all time has to be someone we've heard of? From a band that sells more than 5 records per release?

Keep your "i'm more obscure than you" commentary to a thread that needs it.

As for Glen Hansard, please... please... why are Frames fans so deluded?

Bono's a good frontman but he's not the greatest.

Morrison, Jagger or Hendrix for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Surely it's obvious that the greatest frontman of all time has to be someone we've heard of? From a band that sells more than 5 records per release?

Keep your "i'm more obscure than you" commentary to a thread that needs it.

What does it matter how well a band sell? If a good frontman is a good frontman, it wouldn't matter if he's playing some ****hole pub, or slane, he'd still be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Because if he was such a great frontman he'd sell more records?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Because if he was such a great frontman he'd sell more records?
    In the words of Jesus Christ

BOLLOX!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

David Coverdale and Bruce Dickinson! And may I add, they are both still alive!! Freddie was good but has since departed for greener pastures so lets try keep it present tense hey. Billie Joe (Green Day, for those who don't know) has got to be in the running too as he has great stage prescence for one of the younger folk. Also anyone who's ever played (guitar) and sang at the same time will understand and appreciate how hard it is to combine the two flawlessly, which imho he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Kitsune

Mike Patton or Freddie Mercury, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

It took four pages for someone to mention Mike Patton.

Are you all deaf? Mike Patton is the most versatile, vocally, and outrageous frontman. EVER.

He took out his cock and pissed on the crowd once. If outrageous is what you're after... That's outrageous.

His voice is unmisstakable. The plethora of genre-defining bands he has been in.. Faith No More, Fantomás, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk. And many more "obscure" bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Billy Corgan,Axl Rose,Mike Patton,Brian Johnson,Perry Farrell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Gotta be Eddie Vedder, the man commands so much presence on stage, look at any dvd, bootleg or whatever, even better, look at Live At The Garden, one of the greatest concerts ever and he kicks so much a$$ its unreal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 olly

i have to go with Freddie Mercury. he was just pure class! he had the ability to interact with the crowd like no one else. he vocal range was phenomanal and he was a very talented pianist and lyricist. THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 QueenAdreena

I know you all seem to be going for classic rock but what bout chino moreno from deftones? hes a fantastic vocalist and communicates really well with the crowd! all that said matt bellamy from muse is brill, as in katie jane from queen adreena, and before someone bitches at me for them bein "obscure" you can go suck a f*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭open_book

axl rose in his element was unstoppable. Bon scott was magic on stage too, what an entertainer.thought justin hawkins was pretty good when i caught them in a smaller venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Someone make this a poll

I go with Mercury - epitome of a front man. No-one else comes close although can't argue with a lot of the other names apart from Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I would agree that Mercury is the best front man by far, and Axl should come second.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Martel

Bazz wrote:
    It took four pages for someone to mention Mike Patton.

Are you all deaf? Mike Patton is the most versatile, vocally, and outrageous frontman. EVER.

He took out his cock and pissed on the crowd once. If outrageous is what you're after... That's outrageous.

His voice is unmisstakable. The plethora of genre-defining bands he has been in.. Faith No More, Fantomás, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk. And many more "obscure" bands.

Actually he was mentioned on the very first page ;) .

He might get my vote too. If not the best frontman, Patton is still almost certainly the best rock vocalist ever in that he is versatile and doesn't rely on one style like alot of vocalists. He can growl and scream like metal vocalists, use a more general rock sound like the Bonos of this world or sing something like Easy with a sound Lionel Richie would be pleased with. Plus he does some weird novelty voices :D . And like Bazz said he's mad, says some off the wall **** and does crazy **** on stage, jumping through drum kits and even masturbating I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pugwash wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me how much bono is ignored in these conversations. When he's dead he'll be an automatic 'given' for everyone talking about said topic. It's no accident that U2 are still able to sell 170k tickets in less than an hour IN IRELAND.

The Ipod outsells all other MP3 players, but is far from the best.

Has to be Freddie Mercury for me. He has it all. As a fronyman he hasnt got a weak point as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Obzer

Id say Rory Gallager gets the crowd going and can sing incredibly while playing the guitar better than most new lead guitarists. Think Mustaine but 2/3 times more skilled

Advertisement