Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resolutions, resolutions.....

Options
  • 07-03-2005 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

So I'm starting a new website which I'm getting paid handsomely for and I'm thinking of browser compatability and resolution probs.

Browser compat. is not my question though, my question regards the designing of a website taking into account the different resolutions people have.

I'm basically stopping at 800x600, in which my front page will nicely fit in horizontally and vertically with my set pixel tables. In 1024x768 and higher there will be space around the deisgn.

My question is this, do you find this acceptable in a website design?
    In which ways do I design differently if I go about with percentage sized table rather than pixels?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

The given standards are:

1. Design it to fit 800x600... that way it can be viewed at all the resolutions 800x600 upwards. I'm sure some day the standard will move to 1024x768! :D

2. Design it for 100% and use tiling techniques, background colours, etc. to have a minimum of 800x600 but it will also expand to 1600x1280 if so wished!

What I have found is that a lot more people are viewing sites at 1024x768 but still you need to consider ppl at 800x600. It really depends on what type of site you are doing. I find that 100% width sites are best suited to high content sites but for a brochure site for a company, i'd use 800x600 (740px fixed width) to be sure that content layed out the way I wanted it. You always run into content layout problems when designing at 100% width. This is why I usually only use 100% widths for high content sites, e.g. there is loads of content to fill up the space and it doesn't look empty.

I think designing at 800x600 is very acceptable... there's loads of room for navigation and content can be displayed nicely without the user having to read from one side of their screen to the other! You can keep things 'neat' with a fixed width of 740px.

Not sure if I understand your second question! :)

Rgds,

Dave

Advertisement