Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pinnacle studio 8 se - any good?

• 07-03-2005 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

I got a version of this free with my Canon video camera and I was wondering if anyone here has used it and if it is any good. I have the camera a while and have only recently decided to edit some of my footage, mostly family occasions and holidays. I was hoping to edit them down to small music-video-like-movies to give to family and friends, like a sort of highlights so as not to bore them. Will Pinnacle be good for this or should I invest now in something that will make my life easier in the long run rather than try to get to grips with this software.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its pretty good, i used it for a while then moved to premiere, only cos i got it free tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Used (and occassionally still do) Pinnacle Studio 7 for years. It's a great program for quickly getting a video edited, very intuitive and easy learning curve. Ideal for what you want. You would do well to learn it, it won't take long. Only drawback I found with v 7 was the quality of the MPEG2 encoding (a bit blocky), might be improved in 8. I export edited footage from Studio instead and use cinema craft encoder (excellent quality, watermarked trial version available as download also).

All the best,

Dave

ps make sure to download the latest patch for Pinnacle, as I find the earlier versions can be a bit flaky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

Thanks, I did have a look around it and have decided that I will use this from now on. I have also been looking at Movie Maker 2 and had created a few small movies with it. I had to convert the MM2 avis to Pinnacle avis as they are a different format. Pinnacle have a lot more transitions and titles, and what I really like is the sounds in there, they can really transform the mood of a piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

leuler wrote:
    Thanks, I did have a look around it and have decided that I will use this from now on. I have also been looking at Movie Maker 2 and had created a few small movies with it. I had to convert the MM2 avis to Pinnacle avis as they are a different format. Pinnacle have a lot more transitions and titles, and what I really like is the sounds in there, they can really transform the mood of a piece.

I've had the Pinnacle Studio 9 version (have recently purchased the upgrade and am waiting for it to arrive) for over a year now, and it's excellent. I have completed two wedding videos (a good test!) as a favour for friends and they were top class.

The only things to watch out for are:

1. If you use chapters the only thing that will copy the video is Pinnacle's own Instant Copy Program. Nothing else (even Nero) will do it.

2. Take the patches down from the Pinnacle site (you will need Broadband or someone who has it). These will stop any synch probs between the audio and the video.

3. It will take five hours to render and burn a completed two-hour DVD. (unless you have a real-time card).

4. No point in running it on a low-spec machine. It will vomit. Ideally you should be running it on a P4 (not a Celeron) with at least 512 MB of RAM nad a standalone 7200 RPM hard drive.

Hope that helps! :D

Advertisement