Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternate cooling for 6600GT

Options
  • 07-03-2005 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Any reccomendations?

I quite fancy using a Zalman heatpipe setup (fanless) for some nice passive cooling, but given the heat generation of the card and the fact that the mounting holes have moved; I'm a bit f*cked.

I've already got an arctic cooler left over from my 9600pro, but again with the mounting holes :mad:

I was thinking of sticking a variable resistor along the fan power cables, looking at the cards temp and seeing if I can get away with a low rpm from the stock cooler... although the card has temp monitoring, I'm not sure how reliable these readings are, since most 6600GTs supposedly haven't implemented this feature in their BIOS... I can see the temp fluctuating in the nV control panel, so I assume it's working on mine (wishfull thinking?)
    Having said that, there is also supposed to be a built-in fan speed control, but this is well and truly borked... even the gainward software that touts manual speed control doesn't seem to have any impact (the fan sounds no different at either lowest or highest, so I assume it's not changing the rpm at all)

Right now the stock gpu fan is, by far, the loudest thing in my rig, so I want this thing STFU'ed asap.

Also, roffle @
    5. The Nipples MUST be tightened by hand.
    Using tools to tighten the nipples may break the tip of the nipples.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

There's an arctic cooler for the 6600gt pcie card, don't know if it'll fit the agp card tho

Advertisement