Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying used car, what questions to ask?

Options
  • 07-03-2005 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I’m going to look at a car I’m hoping to buy tonight, it’s a Seat Ibiza ‘96 and was just wondering what do I need to be looking out for, what questions should I be asking about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

check service history is complete. When was it last serviced - are you going to be buying something that needs loads of money straight away? I don't know if these have timing belts but if they do, has it recently been replaced?
    What are the tyres like? Is there much tread on them and is there any uneven wear on them?
    Has the car been modified (in any way!) and if so how? Some modifications may pump your insurance up quite a bit!
    Ask if it was ever crashed - also look for misaligned panels or uneven gaps between panels, changes in the paint colour, etc..
    Look at the mileage on the clock. Does it tally with the NCT cert, the seat & foot pedal condition, etc.
    Does it have a valid NCT? Is there much tax on it?
    Check they are the valid owners (compare the owners document against their drivers licence). Are you viewing at their house?
    Your best bet it to bring a mechanic with you if you don't know your way around a car!
    Also remember that your insurance probably won't cover you fully on their car so they may not want you to drive it - don't take it personally!

Advertisement