Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ Tommy Vance dies...

Options
  • 07-03-2005 1:27pm
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THE radio world paid tribute to the veteran broadcaster and rock-music lover Tommy Vance yesterday following his death at the age of 63.

The former Radio 1 DJ and Top of the Pops presenter died in the early hours of yesterday at the Darent Valley Hospital in Kent. He was admitted to the hospital on Thursday after suffering a stroke at his home in Kent.

The DJ, who started out on radio in the United States before joining pirate station Radio Caroline and then Radio 1, will be best remembered for his gravelly voice.

His agent, Jon Roseman, said: "He was a great bloke and was held in very high regard for his knowledge of rock, which was unsurpassed. I had known Tommy for 35 years. He certainly had one of the most recognisable voices on radio. Without Tommy there will be a hole that is not going to be filled."

Andy Parfitt, controller of Radio 1, said: "Tommy Vance was a great broadcaster. He presented for many years on Radio 1 the seminal rock show which a whole generation of music fans remember very fondly. He will be sadly missed by listeners and fellow DJs alike."

Vance’s real name was Richard Anthony Crispin Francis Prue Hope-West, and he began his DJ career using the name Rick West.

He adopted the stage name Tommy Vance when he filled in for a DJ of that name who had not turned up; the American radio station concerned only had a jingle for a DJ with that name.

When the Vietnam War started, he returned to the UK to work on Radio Caroline, a common training ground for DJs, before being signed by Radio 1, where he worked for 15 years presenting the Friday Rock Show.

There, he had the chance to showcase the bands he loved, mostly at the heavier end of the rock spectrum.

A lover of music who was a DJ first, rather than an entertainer who moved into radio, he compered during 1985’s Live Aid concert.

Vance held a similar position in the rock world that his fellow Radio 1 DJ, the late John Peel, occupied for fans of alternative music.

His late-night rock shows were required listening for any true rocker.

Latterly, Vance made a move to television, presenting the Friday Night Rock Show on the digital channel VH1 and making appearances on various comedy programmes. Recently, he also had his own show on the digital radio station Virgin Classic Rock.

The DJ is survived by his ex-wife Stella and two children, Daniel, 22, and Jessie, 19.
    Very sad news. Brought me many a good video on his Friday Rock show, I stayed up all night for the very last extended show. All I can say is, wherever he is now, I hope he's rocking with the music legends that have left us...

RIP Tommy Vance, you will be missed.

"Rock on!" :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The mans voice just oozed rawk. Plus he was a good sport about being hoaxed by Chris Morris.

A sad loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

heard it on the news yesterday and just said awww ****. shame that he is dead. used to love his rock show on vh1. pity they stopped making it

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another broadcasting legend dies..that obit says it all really. Mentioning Peely in the same piece is appropriate, he and Vance kept thier respective flames burning bright in the late evening darkness for so many years.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Very sad news, I used to love this guy on his VH1 show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm deeply saddened that Tommy Vance has passed away. I really enjoyed The Rock Show on VH1 and he truly knew his music. Man didn't he have such a cool voice! With John Peel passing away last year music has really lost some of its top DJs.

All we can hope for is that Zane Lowe stays safe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Just found this picture of Tommy Vance. Says it all about the guy really...
    tommy_vance_se.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

Heard about this in the briefest of brief snippets on MTV news with that incredibly annoying Tim Kash tosser yesterday. Usually when there's a death in the music/dj world these presenters have a sullen tone and reflect on the career. That little twat spent a few minutes advertising some useless "band/artist", pretending its news and then less than 5 seconds saying that Tommy had died, keeping his stupid happy/chirpy voice of course, and finished with "our thoughts are with his family" with a smile on his face. Gimp. :mad:

RIP Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Only just heard about this tonight and that was just because mike65 mentioned it in the Dave Allen thread in After Hours. Completely shocked and gutted by this news.

All I can say about Tommy Vance is what a voice! If ever a voice was made for presenting shows on rock music, it was Tommy's. Even hearing him doing the voiceovers for the ads for 'American Chopper' on the Discovery Channel and the like would make you want to start headbanging. And he was fantastic on 'The 11 O' Clock Show' on Channel 4 a few years ago as well.

"You've been listening to the Friday Rock Show. Thanks for your company. I'm Tommy Vance and now I'm off down the pub. Goodnight!"

Have one on me, Tommy, and keep spinning the discs with Peely up there in the great big radio studio in the sky. R.I.P. :(

Advertisement