Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetical Heads-up Question

Options
  • 07-03-2005 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Stolen from 2+2 forums as usual:

You are playing a billion dollar heads up No Limit Holdem head up freezeout against a weird fellow who has legally promised that he will move in every hand while turning his cards face up for you to see before you make your decision to fold or call.

The game is honest and he is legally bound to his promise. The blinds are one dollar and two dollars. You are a multi billionaire who is not worried about the money. There will be no rematch.

You fold the first three hands, all worse than his, and on the fourth hand he turns over a seven and a deuce and puts in his billion plus four (blinds from the first 3 hands) dollars.

Here are four possible hands for you.

I. Two aces

II. Two sixes.

III. AK offsuit

IV. 94 offsuit

Please answer the following question choosing one of the choices below WITH NO EXPLANATION. If you choose, you may add how certain you are that your answer is best.
    Which of the hands should you call with?

A. All hands

B. No hands

C. I only

D. I and II only

E. I and III only

F. I, II and III only

Just post a letter and possibly your degree of certainty.

So don't post a full answer until plenty of people have answered with their choice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

None. The hammer will prevail!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

My first reaction was A. All hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

E

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Question in white text:

Why would people call with AK but not 66? You're further ahead with the pair than you are with AK surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

A...although I'd really prefer to have the 7 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

C

87% with AA, 72% with 66, 66% with AK, 62% with 94, you will have many oppourtunites where you will be more than 80% ahead with the blinds at $1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Vamos

F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

At first I thought C..now I'm a B Man.

AA is "only" a 88% fav against..Why not use your practically unlimited time to wait for a btter opportunity like AA vers A6...!

At first I thought C..now I'm a B Man.

AA is "only" a 88% fav against..Why not use your practically unlimited time to wait for a btter opportunity like AA vers A6...!

Aha, but if you were a multi-billionare who 'is not worried about the money', would you really wait for possibly hours for a AA vs. A6 situation? Your time is money, my friend, gotta take the weirdos cash ASAP then head over to Cheetahs (assuming this is Vegas) for action of a different (and better) kind...:)

Right, whats the best choice in terms of EV?
    My first answer was to call with all the hands because you're ahead of 72o with each of them and since money is no object who cares if he outdraws you every once in a while.

But since Poker is all about teh long term value whats the correct answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

"aha". Fair play IonaPaul..I merely considered the odds..Not the fact that the billionaire could be off getting ceann from Condoleezza Rice or whoever

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Call with them all. You're getting even money and you are winning more than 50% of the time with all hands. Add to that the fact that you don't care about the money...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why do I have the strongest suspicion that the blinds from the first three hands make some fooked up difference to this rather contorted question...
    Something in the line of "He'll be left with 8 chips and will go all in each time afterwards.... yadda yadda arse ****".

Since the money is of no concern, I guess the only interest is in winning. But how long is Mr Billionaire prepared to wait to win? How are we supposed to know that etc?

I dunno that there is going to BE a right answer to this but I would say C at a reasonably high level of certainty personally...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

C....

odds in white:

AA 88%
    66 72%
    AKo 68%
    94o 63%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭POKERKING

A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If I was a MULTI billionaire I'd go A.
    Of course if I won, he would have the blinds from the first 3 hands I folded!
    Otherwise C to have a better then evens chance of winning.

Answer:
    The best odds you can get for a headsup hand is KK vs. K2o where his 2 is suited with one of your Kings. Can't remember the exact odds off the top of my head.
    With stacks of ~$1bn, and blinds of $1/$2, you can afford to wait around for the hand where you have KK and your opponent turns over K2o.

The probability of this exact deal is [(4/54)*(3/53)]*[(2/51)*(2/50)*2] = 1/76,675. However since the blinds are so small compared to your stack, you can afford to wait for this spot. The probability of this deal not occurring after 1,000,000 hands is [1-(1/76,000)]^1,000,000 = 1/516,000. After just 2 million hands, the probability of this deal not occurring is already 1/2x10^11. But since you only lose $1.5 per hand, even after 2 million hands you would only have lost .3% of your stack.

I didn't do the maths by the way.
    Aren't you all glad I was bored in work today and brought this to your attention!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I'd say C

No billionaire is going to hang around for an infinite amount of time waiting for that deal, particularly one who doesn't care about the money...I wouldn't hang around for that specific deal if €10,000 was on the line!

I think for the purposes of reality* this situation should have featured two computers playing against one another, the first a snooty multi-billionaire machine with all the bells and whistles, the other a malfunctioning mainframe with rodents chewing on its wires, and the million or so hands could be dealt in a few seconds...by another computer of course, quite possibly that evil one that Arnie helped John Connor destroy.

*:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

But then he'll still have half a billion left assuming you finally hit KK v K2 with the 2 suited to one of your kings very late on so youll only be back to better than even and then youve to wait to get the kk v k2 again hoping to get it before he goes over half a billion again sounds like a lot of patience for half a billion and then youve got to pay all the dealers luke as you seem to like the maths so much how long would this game take.

Too long if you're dealing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hyzepher don't just close this thread, burn it out of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

C

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I know this has done the rounds, but according to this site, 72 is the "best damn hand" in poker. So, fold 'em all.

Advertisement