Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest UK/international text messaging?

Options
  • 07-03-2005 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Im currently spending pots of money txting mainly the UK - so much so Im thinking of getting a UK 2nd mobile just for texting.

But before I do I was wondering if anyone else had any other thoughts. My preference would be to just have a single phone. Can you send web texts internationally? Does can the recieving personal reply back to your phone.

The cheapest 'normal' way of texting the uk seems to be at 15c a msg on Meteor contract.

Meteor contract seems to be the best for calling the UK - its just a shame that they dont include UK txt messages in their combined ireland & uk call tariffs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

if you get a uk number, you'll be roaming while in ireland, hence be charged more for your messages...

o2 web texts can be sent internationally, not sure about the others...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭anton

Check out this one: http://jimm.sourceforge.net/

It's the instant messaging program for mobile phones, may be a good alternative for SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah ... use web text ...

You get 30 international web texts if you are on Meteor Anytime or Meteor Leisure Time (you can't send international web texts on the other packages). If you are a heavy international texter and net user than maybe move to O2 and get 25 free international web texts a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

anton wrote:
    Check out this one: http://jimm.sourceforge.net/

It's the instant messaging program for mobile phones, may be a good alternative for SMS.

But if I understand that correctly the recipient needs to have jimm running too? Not sure that is gonna be a runner for me.

Also whoever mentioned roaming on a uk phone. DOH I completely missed that one!!

Advertisement