Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Packages, Exactly When?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Bodan wrote:
    Eircoms , dont they usually wait until after eircom has shown its hand , so they can offer a superior service.

For the most part they just resell Eircoms product.

Best you can hope for is a higher cap, as that is all they can change from their end. Esat BT do have 40 exchages unbundled but they stopped any further work years ago. They're no better a company that Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

kasintahan wrote:
    For the most part they just resell Eircoms product.

Best you can hope for is a higher cap, as that is all they can change from their end. Esat BT do have 40 exchages unbundled but they stopped any further work years ago. They're no better a company that Eircom.

but how can they offer more cap for less prices then eircom if they buy from eircom? how does this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

If eircom were to upgrade the upload speed of bitstream they would concede defeat to blueface. By keeping the upload speed of "Cheap" DSL at 128k they are effectively making it uneconomic for anyone to move to a decent VOIP service.

Must be awful for eircom to have to fight the Irish consumer on so many fronts - I almost feel sorry for the tw@s

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

By keeping the upload speed of "Cheap" DSL at 128k they are effectively making it uneconomic for anyone to move to a decent VOIP service.
    Huh? Can you explain that please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

causal wrote:
    Huh? Can you explain that please?

I think he's saying if you want to use VOIP properly you ideally need a better connection than 128 up (for better reliability)... VOIP is a potential threat to Eircom, so by keeping the 128k they are reducing the chance of VOIP catching on. The uneconomic part is just highlighting the fact that as yet, to get faster than 512 you need to have business broadband which is HUGELY expensive and really you wouldn't save on VOIP calls anyway...

Personally I think Eircom has threats from normal telephony providers such as tele2.ie and telestunt.ie which thrash Eircoms butt on all prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Xcellor wrote:
    I think he's saying if you want to use VOIP properly you ideally need a better connection than 128 up (for better reliability)... VOIP is a potential threat to Eircom, so by keeping the 128k they are reducing the chance of VOIP catching on. The uneconomic part is just highlighting the fact that as yet, to get faster than 512 you need to have business broadband which is HUGELY expensive and really you wouldn't save on VOIP calls anyway...

Personally I think Eircom has threats from normal telephony providers such as tele2.ie and telestunt.ie which thrash Eircoms butt on all prices.

Much more eloquent!

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Yes they can. They have never upgraded before we have always had 512kb 1Mb would be heaven but we will not be getting it :mad:

1mb is just slightly more better than 512kb. 3mb or higher is heaven in this country. We really need some of them ISP's from Europe in this country. Then we might actually GET real broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

live somewhere else udd be waiting to long lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

move to japan. 100mbit is getting common and i believe some area's are moving to gigabit internet round about now. one can only dream!

vibe666 wrote:
    move to japan. 100mbit is getting common and i believe some area's are moving to gigabit internet round about now. one can only dream!
    wow that wow this, 100mbit, u don't need it.
    rather have a good price and something u need and use, then 100 mbit regardless the cheap price they pay

• Advertisement

Subc wrote:
    rather have a good price and something u need and use, then 100 mbit regardless the cheap price they pay

I think the point is to highlight just how backward broadband in ireland is compared to other countries.

As far is the 'information superhighway'* goes we're stuck in a pothole in the hard shoulder.

causal

* haven't heard that expression for a while!

every country is backward compared to Japan. Better to compare yourself to countrys like France and Germany and such who are way ahead of Ireland, but honestly many countrys are ahead of Ireland in different sectors.
    In france u can get 20mbit for like 35euros, that includes a bunch of tv channels and phone too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Subc wrote:

don't you know? there is NEVER enough bandwidth ;)

Subc wrote:
    every country is backward compared to Japan
    No. Only napaJ is backward compared to Japan :D

CyberGhost wrote:
    don't you know? there is NEVER enough bandwidth ;)

Your right there!
    The people want MORE Bandwidth.
    The people want MORE Access.

The only things we need less of is Eircon, and caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I had an Eircom Engineer out yesterday in part 35 of my ongoing saga to get broadband and asked him about new packages, he knew nothing, but did say from March they are cracking down on people exceeding their caps and charging accordingly. He reckoned that there are a lot of people with Wireless set-up who will get screwed because they are unsecure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

was talking to someone tonight who is a dsl engineer for eircom. they said that new packages were to be announced in april. i didnt get any more detail than that.

mag wrote:
    was talking to someone tonight who is a dsl engineer for eircom. they said that new packages were to be announced in april. i didnt get any more detail than that.

If that's true then we can all thank eircom. They really do a good job at screwing over all us good Broadband customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Subc wrote:
    That's true, I'd be happy with 20Mb.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Make that May... or June... 2020.

And the government are seriously trying to attract foreign companies to Ireland with the state of broadband as it is.

/me in a bad mood </rants>

• Advertisement

Yeah, and aren't we supposed to be the e-capital of europe :rolleyes:

Bit of a jokembarassment really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lads you're missing something here, ireland is very competitive on leased lines depending who the customer is,

think about it these e-companies NEED broadband like the human body needs water. if they don't get exactly what they want they set up somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

The foreign companies are fine because they just get a load of leased lines and they are sitting pretty.

Its the S.M.E.'s who are harmed by ComRegs impotence due to the Governments inability to stand up to Eircom and its monopoly.

Imagine the speeds we would have if Eircom were forced to LLU their exchanges....ADSL+2 would be in every second house for €40 a month!!!

We can all dream...cant we????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

every second house?

i sure hope i would be in one of those "every second houses" lol

Let's pray that ComReg stops pussyfooting around and gets serious with them.
    If they can't get eircon to co-operate the they should sick the EU hounds on them, then they'd get off their asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Havent Eircom been against LLU for long enough now???

The EU commision will make Eircom co-operate but it could take years!!!

I'm getting pretty tired of friends of mine in Scotland(Telewest Blueyonder) and England(BT 2Mbit) having a far better service than I can possible get in Ireland.

It could be years before Smart makes a dent on Eircom and only if Eircom allow them into their exchanges to feed the 2Mbit lines to their customers.

Am I the only one here who is depressed over their Broadband situation???

Maybe we could get them back with an anti-eircom campaign. "Anyone but eircom". Get as many people as possible onto alternate ISP's and reduce their customer base to a point when they'll wise up and respect their customers want's.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Cremo wrote:
    if they don't get exactly what they want they set up somewhere else

And they do... I realise about leased lines but this is not what a lot of SMEs want, as has been said. I was recently at a talk about the state of the gaming industry in Ireland and it was hilighted that lack of decent broadband has kept a number of companies from setting up base in Ireland. Sickening to think of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I take it nobody likes Eircom..

And it's not the 11th yet! Hold your horses.

• Advertisement

It's a real pity the non-DSL broadband providers don't YET have a sufficient coverage that they really put the pressure on eircom to get their finger out with llu.

IBB already offer residential 1024/1024, ntl offer 1500/256;
    eircon offer only 512/128 from what I can gather on their websh1te.

BIG question for ntl: Will ntl will seize the opportunity to increase their speeds to a level that will get a lot of people to use voip and then cancel their eircom fixed line altogether?

I suspect one of the reasons eircom are draging their asses is because they want to get as many people tied into contracts and then hope that the inertia of the masses will prevent them from even thinking about changing provider.

So will the other providers offer compelling reasons for the masses to change over? Hopefully they will.

causal

Advertisement