Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The University Observer

Options
  • 07-03-2005 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

any one write for this paper, whats it like to writ for, the editor is meant to be a rite b1tch but dunno how true that is!!! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

volunteer to be a newsie - one of the news reporters. You'll be assigned a small story

do a good job you'll be offered another one. Always looking for good writers, people with a nose.

Casey's cool. But on deadline day you'd want to have good news for him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I have to say that for a free paper the observer is actually pretty decent - its entertainment supplement and random funny bits 'what would it take to make you score your cousin' and the fashion bits are quite good. I expected it to be terrible when I first saw it but it isnt!

I know thats a bit offtopic but I just thought Id share my positive view of the paper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Whilst i dont agree with the Editors views and many of his editorials, I do think its good quality papaer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Seriously big up to all the peeps at the Observer. Its an extremely good paper produced by people who aren't full time journalists. It takes alot of effort and commitment for these people to offer up their time to write or edit for these papers. I know a bloke who works for the Tribune and from what I hear it takes alot of effort on top of people's studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I have a gripe with the two papers after their right ups of the Law/BnL day posters 'fiasco'.

Think its the tribune I'm more pissed off with but the Observer wasn't much better. Which one had the front page for the poster thing? Would have written a letter to the editor but I'm too lazy and I was doubtful they'd publish after the articles/editorials.
    Major gripes:
    They claim it was paedophilic even though the girls were of legal age AND it wasn't even their bodies. They actually talked about how they were only just eighteen. Yeah, no ****, thats the point...they are of legal age.Also they kicked up a fuss because all the money raised was going to a children's hospital, they claimed they weren't impressed with it even though they had seen the posters before going to print. They didn't care, they were just glad we raised €23,000 for them.
    They claimed it was insensitive to anoerixes even though it wasn't even their bodies.
    They also used tabloid tactics like... getting the opinion of an Arts student and printing it....it read 'one third arts student had this to say'. So what? I could eventually find someone who would admit to racism, that doesn't make it right or general opinion.

Just so many things were wrong with they way the papers approached it was moronic except one editorial while criticising it did so in anunbiased and non-sensational way.

Also it bugged me all the posters were ripped down first without telling us. The Student Advisor said she could even though she had no jurisdiction to, she only covers clubs and societies not faculty days. (the event has no association with lawsoc of BnLsoc). We could have easily put them back up.
    No, I guess it was more important to save a few people's feelings then cost the event €400 in lost posters. Also the fecking SU threw out our tickets the ****ing ***** because it was delivered there for some reason.

Hmm...what the hell has this got to do with the original post, went on a complete tangent there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Sangre wrote:
    I have a gripe with the two papers after their right ups of the Law/BnL day posters 'fiasco'.

Hmm...what the hell has this got to do with the original post, went on a complete tangent there.

Yeah, that story was pathetic TBH.
    Their arguments were nonsensical and/or plain inaccurate and false.

All respect I had for the paper evaporated that day, which is a real pity as the current issue seems, on a precursory read, to be of a high standard and entertaining to boot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 qotsaman

maybe the observer has somethig against faculty days! sure the last issue basically said that those who ran arts day were cooking the books. i heard the guy who wrote it is in serious trouble because think he said the college were in on it or something-turns out he made half the stuff up and has fled the country!

...ok...ok...not so much fled as gone home to america for the break...but still...fleeing makes a better story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

qotsaman wrote:
    maybe the observer has somethig against faculty days!

see the guy right at the back of this scienceday08.jpg

the editor of the Observer. Something against faculty days - prob not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 qotsaman

dont think the editor read the article or if he did skimmed over it because think he getting rid of the guy who wrote the piece. i think he's a reat editor-produces the best paper on campus-his journalists however aint so top notch i dont think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I have found alot of what is written in the college papers to be very biased. Objective reporting is something they're not good at. At all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement