Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rule Change

• 07-03-2005 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=260280&Title=New+rule+governing+throw-in+is+improvement&lid=Main+News&sub=New+rule+governing+throw-in+is+improvement&navlid=&sublid=
    www.fai.ie wrote:
    AN important change to the Law governing the throw-in was ratified at the meeting of the International FA Board in Cardiff.

Under the new regulation opponents must be at least two metres from the thrower until the ball is in play.

Until now an opponent could attempt to distract the thrower by standing right next to the touchline, directly in the line of vision of the thrower.

This tactic was occasionally used by defenders attempting to prevent a player, noted for possession a long throw-in, from delivering the ball with accuracy.

Occasionally it was a source of aggravation and even confrontation in consequence.

This change, to Rule 14, is an improvement. However, the legislators would have been better advised to state bluntly that opponents had to remain two metres from the TOUCHLINE until the ball was in play.

The new rule will come into effect on July 14.
    what do ya think? another useless rule change? it says u have to be 2 metres from the throw taker until the ball is in play but i'd imagine that as the taker moves towards the touchline, the defender will have to retreat back aswell. might cause annoyance among spectators wit re-takes etc if refs stick to the book on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well it gives the thrower a better chance of playing a 1-2 with another user i.e. thrower throws it to a player who knocks it straight back to the thrower then he plays it on.

Other than that it doesn't make much difference, as the rule stood you couldn't jump anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

In a couple of games I have reffed, I have seen the thrower strike the guy standing on the touchline on the follow through from the throw, when I asked at the loacl refs association meeting, I was told that if you are stupid enought o stand in front of a guy who is throwing the weight of his body forward, through his arms and head, you deserve what you get.

There could be trouble with this one, but at least it has clarified it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

a bit stupid imo, it just means more time wasting in the dying seconds. players will be wanting opposition to move back the full 2 metres and then take a short one wasting a few seconds (like a corner i suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Well if a player can throw long it is obstruction if a defender gets in his way.

When they gonna start giving frees for players not actually throwing the ball correctly? ie 2 feet together ball behind head.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Bit of a stupid rule i think... as one of the previous posters stated, if you are stupid enough to stand in front of a player taking a throw, you deserve what you get.

Gary Neville stands in front of throw-takers all the time..... really really annoying...

It sounds to me as a throw now gives posession right back to the throwing team. If a player on the same team as the throw-taker stands within 2ms (say 1m for sake of argument) of the throw-taker he cant be challenged as opposition players have to be 2ms away... bit silly imo.

• Advertisement

You would be doing well to take a throw correctly and only throw it two metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You would be doing well to take a throw correctly and only throw it two metres.
    Unless you stand a few metres from the line. :)

True, but in that case your player and the opposition player would be standing on the touchline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Good and bad. Standing infront of the thrower always gave him a great excuse to follow through and into the obstructor. 2 Meter's is a bit much tbh. Not really going to make much of an effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

when the rules bring brought in?

i take it now, you can jump up and down when your two metres away? mightnt make a difference, still might distract him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

when the rules bring brought in?
    Next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

We always put a man on the thrower to stop any one twos etc, tbh this just means we be standing a few feet back.

kdjac

Advertisement