Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icons

Options
  • 07-03-2005 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

How exactly do you do these things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They're the logo's and names of websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

sorry to butt in,

but on the topic off icons, how do you get rid of the small little curling arrow at the bottom left of shortcuts?? any ideas?

and any suggestions on what icons to get rather than where to get them?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

http://www.html-kit.com/e/favicon.cgi here is everything you need to generate your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

Goodshape wrote:
    They're the logo's and names of websites?

No. They're the logos/icons that appear in the address bar when you are on a specific website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How exactly do you do these things?
    You make a tiny little picture, then you save it in the root directory of your webserver as "favicon.ico". When a browser requests a web page, it also requests that site's favicon.ico, so it can display it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No. They're the logos/icons that appear in the address bar when you are on a specific website.
    I find they rarely work in the address bar of IE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i second that, they never work in IE for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, IE doesn't really support them. Every other browser seems to though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It does have some kind of support for them in that if you drag the IE icon to the right in the address bar it can sometimes force the favicon to appear. However, this obviously isn't ideal.
    This icon does appear in the IE favourites folder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

They do work in IE... sortof! The first time you save the favourtie it works. It downloads the icon to your machine and works for awhile but when you fill up your allocated temp folder space, it gets rid of them and doesn't take them back. That's what I've noticed!

Maybe IE7 will work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

or maybe you should get firefox :D

Advertisement