Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance in the US

Options
  • 07-03-2005 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this is in the right area for this.
    Am going to the US on a J1 Visa in the summer and there is 6 of us going. We are plainng on buying a car just for getting around probably an auld banger $1000-$1500. Just wandering if anybody the situation with getting insurance over there. Am going to NY state, Scarsdale to be exact. And i have my full licence 4 years I'm 22

Any help would be great
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

The appropriate question is, How long have you had a US lic and in the state you are applying for ins.
    Typically the idea is, if <3 years, may as well be never.

International DL, etc are only valid for renting cars. Getting a local lic shoud not be a problem. 2~3 weeks at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

IIRC you can drive over there on some driving licences for a fixed amount of time (1 year?). I dunno if Irish is one of them. Alternativly swap your licence for a UK one and when you get over there you can do a straight swap for a US one (at least that's what I've been told, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

IIRC you can drive over there on some driving licences for a fixed amount of time (1 year?). I dunno if Irish is one of them. Alternativly swap your licence for a UK one and when you get over there you can do a straight swap for a US one (at least that's what I've been told, someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    Oh no you can't. You must do the full learners Permit and driving test to get a US licence.

Depending on the state, your Irish licence is valid for 2-12 months only. Best to get an International licence from the AA.

As regards insurance, you won't get any unless you are resident in the state in question for a min period, at least a year.

If you buy a car you must register it within 21 days (in nevada) and buy the licence plates. Very severe penalties for failure to comply with these laws. You risk having the car being crushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Bond-007 wrote:
    Oh no you can't. You must do the full learners Permit and driving test to get a US licence.

Depending on the state, your Irish licence is valid for 2-12 months only. Best to get an International licence from the AA.

As regards insurance, you won't get any unless you are resident in the state in question for a min period, at least a year.

If you buy a car you must register it within 21 days (in nevada) and buy the licence plates. Very severe penalties for failure to comply with these laws. You risk having the car being crushed.

Again, it varies from state to state, but, typically, any external lisc. (be it Irish or another state) is good for a temp period of 2-12 as stated above.

I'm sure with a local lisc. you will get ins for 6 mo. You donot ned to be in state for 12 mo, just a resident.
    It may be high, but I'm sure you will get it and a letter from your current ins co may or may not be useful. GEt one and bring it along.

Rerigestering the car, is relatively cheap and fast. Just do it.
    Getting a state lisc, is equally fast and cheap. No 10 mo waits, etc. 10 days would be normal and maybe faster if you choose a quiet locatioin for the test.

Advertisement