Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai All Over the Place!

Options
  • 07-03-2005 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a warning to peeps who ply the National routes, I've noticed that the cops are busy, busy, busy, stopping vehicles for tax and insurance checks.

I must go spot two or three a day at the moment.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Two or three a day? Wow :p

Still though, nice to see an increased presence. Now we just need them to enforce the law. :p

When I was in London, you'd see at least one police car every 5 minutes. Almost as bad as playing GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

When I was in London, you'd see at least one police car every 5 minutes. Almost as bad as playing GTA

But to be fair, in GTA they were probably looking for you because you were running around with a machine gun after robbing some place! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

saw a least 5 cop cars this morning and more on the way home.
    not stopping people just mosying around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think the commisioner must have sent out an order to "get some fresh air".

At least when its tipping down you know they'll be sat with a mug of tea in the canteen.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Yeap...looks like motorists on the East region are for it again! Have seen 4 checkpoints in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

seems the comissioner has his eye on a fleet of BMW's this time, Saab's are just not good enough anymore. At least you can still speed/drink etc on the back roads with complete knowledge that you will not be stopped. Just as long as they have their numbers to quote at the media we can all sleep easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

i've seen them the last few mornings driving in the hard shoulder of the M50 in heavy traffic. They don't seem to be doing anything. There was a guy pulled over with his hazard lights on, under a bridge left of the hard shoulder and they guards just pootled right by him. Never stopped to ask was he OK.

I reckon that they are just skipping the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

3 checkies on the N11 on saturday afternoon and one on the n25 outside wexford on sunday afternoon. before that i'd say i hadnt seen one in months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I have been informed that gardai have been spotted in an unmarked car on the m1

Nothing too unusual about that. The difference in this case is that the unmarked car had hackney plates. Anyone else hear of anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

The difference in this case is that the unmarked car had hackney plates

I know that a lot of coppers drive cabs on the side, but that's taking the p1ss.

I saw about 6 motorbike cops on Mespil Rd this morning pulling over every moped/motorbike going past and checking for insurance/licence.

The coffers at Pork HQ must be running dry. Time to get out those speed cameras and nobble the commuters in Dublin again.

EDIT/ Does anyone know if they all go home to watch Coronation St, or should I be on my guard (ho ho) this evening? I've to head out on the N7 later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

WRT to the car with hackney plates - could it be that they were driving this back to the station after confiscating it or whatever? Are they allowed to do this? As Gatso vans and other unmarked cars have no signage on them I would have assumed this was because of some kind of 'entrapment' law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I have been informed that gardai have been spotted in an unmarked car on the m1

Nothing too unusual about that. The difference in this case is that the unmarked car had hackney plates. Anyone else hear of anything like that?

I saw an unmarked pulling over a guy on the M1 last friday, it was an unmarked wine coloured Ford Focus with siren light flashing.

Thought they always went for saloons?

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

mike65 wrote:
    Just a warning to peeps who ply the National routes, I've noticed that the cops are busy, busy, busy, stopping vehicles for tax and insurance checks.

I must go spot two or three a day at the moment.

Mike.

that's good. it will keep all these fancy cars with no tax off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't think there's any provision for "entrapment" in Irish law anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Bike cops mustn't have any thermals. Weather has been $#!+e for past few months, so now they're out. Not a bad thing, IMHO. Hopefully will see better road manners in effect.
    I had a little chuckle on Saturday when some young Biddy driving a Mits Colt along the Chapelizod bypass was flashed and pointed at by a bike cop. She was tootling down in the overtaking lane, not a care in the world. Rear view mirror? That's for make-up! Cop was easy to spot on the long stretch, she just wasn't paying attention. He had to flash the headlights and blues, pointed for her to move left. She duly complied, driving over to bus lane and stopping. Probably didn't even see me either.

Have seen quite a few cops (at least 4 ;) ) over the past 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Goods yard in Waterford at the end of the Sallypark Dual Carraigeway is another hotspot at the moment. Remember folks this excellent dual carraigeway has a 50 km/h limit so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Bond-007 wrote:
    The Goods yard in Waterford at the end of the Sallypark Dual Carraigeway is another hotspot at the moment. Remember folks this excellent dual carraigeway has a 50 km/h limit so beware.
    This is where I got my one and only speeding summons - 38 in a 30 on a dual carriageway at 2 in the morning on my way home from a gig in the Bridge... Big mucksavage copper - 'Is this yure vehickle? - you are in contravinshin of the 1982 thraffic act' etc. LANGER!!!

Cops were on the N17 a mile on the Galway side of Tuam this evening, but it is a popular spot for them. Watch out for the red D-reg Mondeo with the gatso camera beside the drivers mirror.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I read this thread this morning - did it stick in the brain NO, on a country back road in celbridge where the speedlimit is 30MPH (stupid speed limit to be honest) was happily doing 40MPH (sorry cant do KM yet!) when the big jeep in front of me braked real suddenly - then I see guards with thier speed guns uphead.

Neither me or the other car werestopped but one guard nodded at the other as we drove past (at 30) so wondering what the likelyhood is that my 1st points will be sent in the post in the coming weeks....

Could kick myself as had only read that the Garda were out in force!

still good detterent - have stuck rigidly to the speed limits for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

samo wrote:
    I read this thread this morning - did it stick in the brain NO, on a country back road in celbridge where the speedlimit is 30MPH (stupid speed limit to be honest) was happily doing 40MPH (sorry cant do KM yet!) when the big jeep in front of me braked real suddenly - then I see guards with thier speed guns uphead.

Neither me or the other car werestopped but one guard nodded at the other as we drove past (at 30) so wondering what the likelyhood is that my 1st points will be sent in the post in the coming weeks....

Could kick myself as had only read that the Garda were out in force!

still good detterent - have stuck rigidly to the speed limits for the rest of the day!
    Speed limit for that zone would be 31MPH, chance are you may recieve something, you were 30% over the limit after all. If the jeep in front of you was hiding you from the cops, you may get away with it as they couldn't get a picture of you, otherwise, it's 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ah B*ll*cks - off to VRO in the morning on my Brit plates, 'bet I cop for it on the way :( (what with my luck at the mo')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This is where I got my one and only speeding summons - 38 in a 30 on a dual carriageway at 2 in the morning

That just sucks :(

Sure if it was a fixed camera or a gatso, those things are just programmed in a certain way. But to be actually pulled by a Garda in those circumstances is crap. Surely people here will now point out to us that you were doing 27% over the speed limit :rolleyes:

Most Gardai do apply discretion more appropriately. The one that pulled you over is just a sad little wanker imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

At least the cops are out there doing something. I'm glad their out stopping for tax and insurance and speeding.

My tax and insurance is up to date, and there's nothing better than seeing someone stung for something, no matter how trivial it is. Especially [people of the travelling persussion] and women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jildy

I drove from Dublin to Tipperary town and back again yesterday and I did not pass even one speed check on the road over the whole 350km !!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

samo wrote:

not really..
    general rule of thumb
    any 100 or 80Km/hr limit where it should be lower + generally light traffic = drive as fast as you like

any 50/60Km/hr limit where it should be higher + high volumes of traffic + drive at 95% of the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    That just sucks :(

Sure if it was a fixed camera or a gatso, those things are just programmed in a certain way. But to be actually pulled by a Garda in those circumstances is crap. Surely people here will now point out to us that you were doing 27% over the speed limit :rolleyes:

Most Gardai do apply discretion more appropriately. The one that pulled you over is just a sad little wanker imho
    Mmm - I felt very sorry for myself up in court, suit freshly shined up but it cost a days holidays and £40 but that was ten years ago and I haven't had one since. I hadn't known that an artic had crashed into a wall on the way down that hill from Slieverue the previous week and killed a little girl - the cops just weren't taking prisoners on that stretch.

There are several of these 50kph stretches of 'dual cabbageway' around the country - the Quincentennial Bridge in Galway is an obvious one where everybody does 100kph and the students run kamikaze fashion between lanes of traffic trying to cross it. I drive it four times a day and in two years I have NEVER seen a cop on it.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

samo wrote:

Was the speed gun on a tripod? If it was hand held, I don't think they can take pictures, so they would have had to pull you in.

I was stopped as well near Lansdowne road at night a couple of days ago for a tax check etc - no problems with that. What really pìssed me off was the cop totally ignoring my pet hate - a cyclist going right past him with no helmet or lights. :mad: Why are cyclists allowed to break every bloody rule of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

eoin_s wrote:
    What really pìssed me off was the cop totally ignoring my pet hate - a cyclist going right past him with no helmet or lights. :mad: Why are cyclists allowed to break every bloody rule of the road?

Cyclists don't have to wear helmets but their bike should be lit. They are allowed to break every rule of the road because it is too much hassle stopping them, checking their identity, proving their identity and taking their bike. Happy days for cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

What really pìssed me off was the cop totally ignoring my pet hate - a cyclist going right past him with no helmet or lights. Why are cyclists allowed to break every bloody rule of the road?
    More money in motorists I would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyclists don't have to wear helemts but should be lit.

I didn't realise that, I thought it was mandatory like it is for motor cyclists?

When they are hit by car when breaking a red light while wearing no helmet, no lights and all black in the middle of the night, it seems that the motorist is always at least partly at fault if it gets to court. :mad:
    They are allowed to break every rule of the road because it is too much hassle stopping them, checking their identity, proving their identity and taking their bike. Happy days for cyclists.

I guess so, still annoys me though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wednesday I went through 2 Garda checkpoints in the space of five miles. One In Clontarf and one in Sutton. Since before Christmas I've been stopped once a fortnight on average travelling from Rathfarnam to Glasnevin

Advertisement