Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good antivirus software?

Options
  • 07-03-2005 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

i download some files from p2p programs such as eMule and KaZaa occasionally, obviously this leaves my computer somewhat vunerable, anyone know of a suitable antivirus program with adequate firewall protection?
    thanks in advance,
    steppen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

zone alarm pro
    and avg free anti virus
    way better than norton its free and easy to use
    hope this helps ya

http://www.uant.net/antivirus/avgguide.html?osadcampaign=googleavg

tip.kazza is a waiste the files are not correctly named
    full of spywares and what not.
    well i found it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

If your using XP Pro SP2 the built in Windows firewall + AVG should be more than adequate. If you share files yourself consider setting the directory with very minimal permissions.

osmethod

• Registered Users Posts: 4 amuga

Yeah, totally. Watch the file sharing. It's the file sharing business I'd worry about more than the actual viruses.

When I want to do file sharing. I boot up for a FAT32 hard drive that I only use for file sharing which can't see my NTFS hard drive partitions. But then again, I'm a little paranoid when it comes to these things :)

As the dudes here said, AVG is quality.

Try LimeWire instead of Kazaa. Far better share program.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiderbeast

Personally I would recommend AVG ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

BitDefender has got to be the best in my view:Also BlackICE for your firewall.

The best paid options tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

osmethod wrote:
    If your using XP Pro SP2 the built in Windows firewall + AVG should be more than adequate. If you share files yourself consider setting the directory with very minimal permissions.

osmethod
    Only if you don't browse the internet as well
    don't forget to get script and spyware blockers and the XPSP2 firewall isn't any good if you already have been compromised

If you allow windows to share to the internet then there is a new full control vunerability discovered every couple of months or so, and the patch time can also be measured in months in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

joePC wrote:
    BitDefender has got to be the best in my view

Totally agree, great piece of software. dont know how this thread made it into net/comms though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

AVG and Zonealarm on three PCs

Trying out BlackICE and Bitdefender at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

and the XPSP2 firewall isn't any good if you already have been compromised

Very true Capt'n.... but... neither is any other firewall any good if already compromised....;-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Agreed, you can't really beat AVG. Try www.shareaza.com for quality p2p.

• Advertisement
Advertisement