Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

idols

Options
  • 07-03-2005 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

just wondering - who are yours? i don't mean like your mam or your dad, or your creepy english teacher, but more like famous people or people in the public eye

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Gen. Michael Collins, Commander-In-Chief of National Forces
    Comdt. Jim Moran, 4th Western Division, I.R.A.

Gen. Collins because of what he did for Irish independence and how he set the standard for all Officers of Óglaigh na hÉireann. Comdt. Moran because he died in active service for the I.R.A. on the 7th March, 1923 - today 82 years ago - yet secured the safety of his troops in exchange for his life.

Other people... Andrew Wiles for his work on Fermat's Last Theorem and being about the only mathematician to have brought maths to the worlds' front pages in as long as I've known. Bertie Ahern, T.D., because I believe he's one of the finest leaders our country has seen.

Keith Wood because he was a brilliant rugby player and the finest captain the Irish rugby team has ever seen. Peter Schemichael because he was the best goalkeeper to ever grace a football pitch.

Can't really think of any more for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I really admire Neil Hannon from the Divine Comedy. Not sure why, just seems really interesting or something.

I admire a lot of people though, not to the stage of worship or i wouldnt build my life around them or anything but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

It's gotta be Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows fame...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have infinite respect for anyone who goes in the face of doubt and adversity to acheive their goals and who works to do so. The problem is though that they never get the credit they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hrmmm....ok idols....dont really have any.

People who i admire?

Jeff Buckley - because i think that he managed to put a lot more of himself than most musicians manage both into lyrics and every other part of his music. because to be able to work through a musical career with the shadow he felt of his father on his back can't have been easy - "they'll say i stole my music from my father, but i say, the only thing i ever stole from him was a fleeting glance" (paraphrased, but an amazing quote)

John Forbes Nash Jnr. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_nash) would be another - that ability to work through your own mind to achieve what you want i find very admirable (read up on him, quite interesting)

Richard Buckminster Fuller (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller) - who "In 1927 at the age of 32, bankrupt and jobless, living in inferior housing in Chicago, he saw his beloved young daughter Alexandra die of pneumonia in winter. He felt responsible, and this drove him to drink and the verge of suicide. At the last moment he decided instead to embark on "an experiment, to find what a single individual can contribute to changing the world and benefiting all humanity."" - and if you visit the link you can see just what he accomplished in his life.

Guess i have slightly morbid idols huh? theres something in my head that says so many people have gone through a baptism of fire and come out the other side ok that i can manage it too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Humblebee

It sounds weird, but Dr. Kevorkian. He's a compassionate person, willing to put his a$$ on the line for what he believes in. He does seem a tiny but nuts, but what doctor isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Jack Black. Seriously. Legend.

Anthony Keidis and Dalí and Gandhi too. And Marx. Karl, that is.

Wow, imagine getting those guys in the same room for tea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Yoji Biomehiniaka - Brilliant producer of excellent dance music

W.M. Bird - Founder of Funderland years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Charlize theron

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Freddie Mercury- Even when AIDS was rampant in the 80s he still persisted in slutting it up- not somethnig to be admired for I know but he put his own enjoyment first and lived life to the full, died too young though. Even when he was very sick he managed to pour so much emotion into his songs.

Tim Curry- He looks great in suspenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Keith Moon - He's a God, couldnt be killed by conventional methods, until he died.

every member of the Pixies - theyre crazy

Billy Corgan - Genius

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

ColHol wrote:
    I really admire Neil Hannon from the Divine Comedy. Not sure why, just seems really interesting or something.
    Haha he's my cousin you know. He's real nice, but real short - I'm actually taller than him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn in LOTR). Not only is he an actor, but a published poet, artist and photographer. He is also an incredably dedicated man, insisting on using the real (and heavy) steel sword for as many scenes as he could in the films, not opying for a lighter, easier to weild, stunt sword. He also got a tooth chipped during the filming of the battle of helm's deep, and asked them to superglue it in rather than postpone filming (but they insisted on bringing him to the dentist). I think that he is a consumate professional, and not some histrionic primmadonna, so I admire him.

I admire Jack, too, cause he's got THE most active libido I have ever met (yes, it is a separate entity)

Fishie wrote:
    Haha he's my cousin you know. He's real nice, but real short - I'm actually taller than him!!
    Wow, you should be privileged! he a genius, comes across that way anyhow. Tell him i said hi (he wont know me but still)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Dante Aligheri
    Douglas Adams

Anyone who has ever followed their dreams, no matter what the obstacles in their path

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

wow, i thought this might happen. guys seem to take their idols waaay more seriously than girls do.
    mine would have to be (no laughing down the back there)

martha stewart. yes, i have respect for her, other than the whole insider trading-ness. i mean in regards to her being such a great homemaker.

kathleen hanna and ani difranco
    twiggy
    vivienne westwood.

i think, without them, i wouldn't have as strong a sense of myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Twiggy? Ex-Manson bassist? I admire him solely for the fact that he has a pet Hare Krishna. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I think she was refering to the model!

My idol would be Glenn Danzig. I think. He is just an amazing musician in all aspects. Reinventing himself a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Idols? woah, that's pretty damn tough. Yeah, I guess there's a lot of people I admire, but way too many to list them all. Maybe not what I'd call 'idols' as such though..

Gregor(Johann) Mendel..(yes, I'm serious)...'father of genetics'...would we have so much knowledge if he hadnt made those early discoveries?

Marie Curie...by the discovery of radium, her work essentially paved the way for cancer treatment and nuclear physics...she dealt with racism and sexism throughout her time in France, but look at all she achieved...she stuck to her goals despite everything.

Anyone that's worked to help others like Mother Teresa did, people who have dedicated their lives to attempt to achieve peace in various areas of the world.

Artists, musicians, poets. They all add something to our lives. They've maybe made us smile, made us truly appreciate the world for what it is and what it has given us.

My friends. They're all fantastic(you guys rock!).

I have nothing but admiration for any of these people as they've all made the world a better place to live in for one reason or another. I hope some day I'll be able to say I've done the same.

That's all I can think of right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Fabulo

Sir Ian McKellen. As most people who know anything about me know. He's amazing. I have no words to express how amazing he is, so here's this space where you can all contemplate on his greatness:

Ok, no space could ever be enough for that much contemplation, I realise. But still.

http://www.mckellen.com/images/1429.jpg

I mean, look how good he looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

His website mis-spelt his name? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Fabulo

Heh, I edited it, so now you look stupid. I hadn't noticed that, I just copied the link... But apparently both the mispelling and the actual spelling link to his site... Presumably enough people mispell it, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Shigeru Miyamoto
    General Choi Hong Hi
    and others I can't think of offhand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Commandment 1:
    "I am your God, you shalt not have false idols befor me."

Thats a direct quote, right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Jello Biafra
    Allen Ginsberg
    Ron Jeremy
    Steve Wozniak
    amidst others.

pinkpimp wrote:
    Commandment 1:

Interesting Idea...
    *meanders off to ponder it as procrastination for his essay which is due in, oh, all of 16 hours...*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

pinkpimp wrote:
    Commandment 1:

Actually, all three currently accepted versions of the Bible use the word gods:

King James Version
    3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

New American Standard Version
    3 You shall have no other gods before Me.

New International Version
    3 "You shall have no other gods before me.

And no, the 3 does not refer to which number the Commandment is... it refers to the line of Exodus 20 that it is to be found on. The Ten Commandments are to be found in Exodus 20: 1-17

So, um, that's not a direct quote. Don't believe me? Go and look in your Bible.

wow, you really showed him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Bit mean Bob

Advertisement