Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are ye calling the pre's mocks???

Options
  • 07-03-2005 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I first heard this term about a week before i started and one of my teachers was saying all we should study for and the whole class had no idea what he was talking about and since then about 5 or 6 people have said it to me!!! and now i come here and it's all 'mocks' the papers even say 'pre junior cert' where did ye get it from???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

mock exams, as in pretend.

theyve been called mocks for years and years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I never hard the term 'pre's' before this topic. We call them mocks in our school.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Before this forum I'd never heard the term. Crazy term, I say! The mocks are the mocks... if you're bored it rhymes with frocks, or socks, or docs or box or fox or... you can see how this continues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

never heard the term mocks either tbh. Theyre called "pre's", even on the papers. mocks is just some slang word thats used for them afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Before this forum I'd never heard the term. Crazy term, I say! The mocks are the mocks... if you're bored it rhymes with frocks, or socks, or docs or box or fox or... you can see how this continues.

They rocks? Never heard of "pre's" before I saw them on my papers, and I still havent heard anyone say it, it just sounds wrong..."pre's", "did you study for yer pre's?"...... urgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've heard both.
    In my town the CBS called them Pre's and the Convent called them mocks.
    What does it matter anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Its just that the first time every one was staring at the teacher, without a clue that he was talking about the pre's. He's from Galwey, but i asked in school and my materials technology (wood) teacher told me that it used to be called mocks so people are age usually call it pre's and olders call it mocks. So i guess if you hang around with old people your more likely to call it mocks but if you hang out with teens you'd call it pre's. Long story short.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

In my experience, people from Dublin tend to call them mocks and people from Cork and Kerry call them pres. I don't know about the rest of the country though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

Fishie wrote:
    In my experience, people from Dublin tend to call them mocks and people from Cork and Kerry call them pres.
    I've noticed that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

To the OP: Why in the blue hell are you calling the mocks pres?

To the OP: Why in the blue hell are you calling the mocks pres?

Why are you calling the pre's 'mocks should be the question? where did you get the term it says pre's on the papers and in all documents regarding the pres ... even the dublin press.

And another thing that same teacher calls the papers 'scripts' is this another one of those things that is said in some parts (particaully Galway) ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

we use that term here in dublin too it means like the text that you have written on foolscap pages as opposed to being literally on the papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Some culchies call them "pre's".

Anybody that counts calls them mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this... but... we gotta.
    Reasons why the mocks shouldn't be called the pre's
    1) "Pre's" sounds like you're about to say preschool.
    2) "Pre's" sounds like priest.
    3) "Pre's" takes more effort to pronounce.
    4) "Mocks" rhymes with lots of things as I've already said.
    5) "Mocks" encapsulates the essence more, because they're mock exams, that's what they are.
    6) "Pre's" sounds like somebody who has difficulty with their ls and rs trying to say "please". Remember the Korean guy from Team America? Yeah.

And now I should probably do my homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

pwnage analysis young sherlock :p

Personnally I prefer Pres but i guess its what i'm used to, but i was just wondering where the term came from!

I read that culchies call them "pre's", but the exam board is based in Dublin??? And thats the offical name!

Also "Pres" encapsulates the essence more, because they're exams before the JC, that's what they are. While mock means fake... those exams were not fake.

Pre-School - Before primary school
    Pre-History - Before written history
    Pre- Junior Certificate - The exam before your JC, to prepare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

*ahem* Les examens blanc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

While mock means fake... those exams were not fake.

In a sense they are. In most schools (as in, every school bar mine), the mocks don't actually matter at all, they just exist to show you and the teachers if you're ready for the junior cert yet...

• Advertisement
Advertisement