Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance terms/period?

Options
  • 07-03-2005 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Do insurers here ONLY allow your period of being insured to be 1 year??? I know in the states you can do it month by month, quarterly etc etc.. Great for competition as you can switch any time... one of the reasons its so cheap there i would say.

As far as i know you pay for a year and you can cancel but you loose a lot of money in your refund... Am i wrong? Are there companies out there that do shorter terms? It would be great even if it was like the Tax.. do it for 3, 6, or 12 months. It should be the law and companies have to do it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

nothing fair about insurance at all,a law onto them selfs,fat cats with top hats :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Only thing you could do is pay on easy-pay terms, ie. over ten months. Then you can cancel and only lose a small proportion. Beware that after doing this a few times, you'll run out of insurance companies and also you'll never accumulate an NCB - they only give credit for full years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you take out full insurance it has to be for a yearly term. Although if you are name driver then the policy length can be what ever you want as long as it doesn't exceed the end of the policy date held my the owner of the main policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I just sold my car and was given the option to cancel my account and get the rest of the years money back now, or suspend my insurance and in november, I get an extra years NCB's + my money back from March! I dont think you could do much better

Advertisement