Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leverkusan vs Liverpool

• 07-03-2005 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

huge game for us. with a 3-1 led we should win it. But i am not very confident. 3-0 and the tie would be over. But all they need is 2 goals, and with are defence and dudek, thats certainly not difficult.

Also we cant afford to sit back for the 90 minutes, We must attack. Hamann and kewell are expected to be back. If hamann isnt back i really dont think we will make it through.

Fingers crossed gerrard will pull is finger out, and try. Same with baros, take the chance to put himself in the shop window.

Leverkusan defender juan has been ruled out now.
    They will be without five regulars for the return game with Juan joining the injured Jens Nowotny and Roque Junior along with suspended duo Robson Ponte and Paul Freier on the sidelines.

they beat Madrid 3-1 at home aswell this season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

with the three goals I'd a been confident.

Now I'm merely hopeful.

A professional side should be able to do this, their defence looked porous as well. So... Liverpool, in a nervy one

heart, somewhat over head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

OK, if Leverkusen had their full team they'd be favourites to go through in my mind but Placente is the only first team defender they have left. Callsen-Bracker and Dum are the only other two registered defenders afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As far as I remember from the last match 2 of their key midfielders will also be missing due to an accumulation of yellows. I'd say that I'm hopeful of Liverpool going through but by no means feeling confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

3-1 up and you guys are only giving Liverpool a whisker of a chance? My old man said to me that Liverpool would be the only English club left in the competition before these series of matches began, to think I laughed at the suggestion ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I posted the same thing. (who's having a laugh thread) which when you look at my sig means I should begin to visit some bookmakers :p

They should go through. But they're a brutal team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

leverkusen at home are a very strong side who score goals... At 3-0 it seemed to be over, but at 3-1 they have a very strong chance of nicking the tie from liverpool.

If the 'bad' liverpool turn up, I could see leverkusen turning this one around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As a Liverpool fan, it's going to be hellish to watch. still though, with a 2 goal cushion, I think Benitez might try to kill the tie off with an away goal. I really, really hope they don't sit back and defend for 90 minutes, my heart can't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

leverkusen to win 2-1 is my prediction

be interesting to see how benitez plays it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i read a quote from benetiz saying they wont try to sit back and he wants to get an away goal, hopefully thats what he does

a riise rocket after 40 seconds would be nice

pool really should go through, its pretty much theres to throw away
    lets see if stevie turns up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My only (ha!) real worry is how Liverpool approach the game, they MUST MUST MUST playing attacking football. Leverkusan obviously have to get 2 goals and they won't be able to play "on the break" if they want to win.

So its really in Liverpools hands, just get out and play pressing football like we know you can.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i don't even want to watch this one, i know i will, but its going to be horrific, i just know it :)

I'll tell you the worst bit - its on RTE 2 which means Giles, Dunph and Okey-Doke will tear 'Pool to pieces even if they win 3-0

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If Bayern has their full team available I would be very worried. At the moment I am just worried..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

its on sky ports 2 aswell if you have it. dont think i could hack listening to george hamilton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I am not all that worried, Steve G back sitting in front of the defence and a four man midfield, probably going to be a long night, anybody know what odds you could have gotten on liverpool being the only english team through to the next round ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Must admit, I'm not too confident in the team at the moment. The first goal on Wednesday night will be crucial. If Leverkusen get it, they'll put incredible pressure on us and I can see us defending deeper and deeper until we concede a second. Maybe, we could then get one back if there was time. I'll go Bayer to win 2-1. Hmmm....Champions League Quarters.

Shamrok wrote:
    Hmmm....Champions League Quarters.

hmm, last time, if we'd beaten them like we should have it would have been the semi's against united
    given that at the time liverpool were beating united in the league (i.e. in pool vs united matches), im still pissed off we didn't make the final that year, and graciously bow out to real madrid....most likely

oh well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I'm more concerned about Everton than wednesdays game. If they qualify for the champions league rather than us Rafa will find it harder to attract the players he wants to ‘rafautionize’ Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder who will play left back with Traore out? Pellegreno is cup-tied AFAIR (thankfully!) so I suppose the obvious move would be to move Riise back, though I'd like to see Warnock in and Garcia dropped after his pathetic performance in Newky. I suspect each of Biscan, Hamann and Gerrard will play in central midfield, with the latter supporting Baros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

If Bayern has their full team available I would be very worried. At the moment I am just worried..

Well set up an Arsenal BAYERN thread so and stay outta this one :)

With Dudek in net we could be in a hell of a lot of trouble, Kewells defo out.
    Stevie Hollywood passes Gerrard is back though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Defo Think Pool will go through ... but still think it will be a nervous night ... 4 - 3 agg to the Pool ....

Just read this which confirms what some of us suspected but were'nt entirely sure about -
    The Toffeemen are eight points ahead of their local rivals and currently hold the crucial fourth Champions League spot in the Premiership.

But if Liverpool win the European trophy then they will take the fourth berth in the competition away from Everton.

"That would be unfortunate but I am not sure that will add to our motivation," added Parry.

"There is sufficient motivation in our team to win the Champions League already. That would be a tremendous prize for manager Rafa Benitez in his first season."

Ian Rush writes

My guess for the line up

======Dudek

Finnan===Hyypia===Carra===Riise

Nunez==Hamman==Biscan==Garcia

===========Gerrard

==========Baros

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

BolBill wrote:

eh, Something tells me hes talking about Bayer leverkusan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

BolBill wrote:
    eh, Something tells me hes talking about Bayer leverkusan

hehe.

I dunno :: after tonights games I have a feeling we wont progress. Dunno why but after seeing Chelsea come back when I didn't expect them to [so well mind you].

god dammit...heart sez we'll win :: head sez I'm stoopid to even think about it and just watch the game.

fs.

god i hope liverpool win
    its so depressing seeing chelsea win all the goddamn time (very almost)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

i think ive tempted fate.....last time liverpool played leverkusen i organised a ticket for the quarter final before they got through (made sure there was one kept for me) and we all know what happened in leverkusen.
    Im sorry but ive done it again :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I dont think Leverkusen are particularly solid at the back. And with a few defenders out I think Liverpool will score, and at least force extra time.

I think people are underrating Liverpools performances away from home in the CL this year. 2-0 against Graz, 1-0 against Depor, 0-1 against Monaco where they were done by an awful referees decision, and 0-1 against Olympiakos. They have more than what it takes to qualify from this.

Having said that, I held off my nails tonight in preparation for tomorrow.

BolBill wrote:

I couldn't be arsed typing Leverkusan..

Bayern are missing three central defenders and two of their better players from the last leg are missing also I think. They leaves them with a very inexperienced back 4 which can only be a good thing..

I have to admit, it would be hilarious if the pool did win and competition and it meant that Everton did not qualify for the compeition next year.. Talk about a kick in the sack but a total classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I can't see Liverpool winning tomorrow. They have been hopeless on the road this season and especially in Europe. That performance against Monaco was a prime example. Liverpool will find it very tough tomorrow.

Leverkusen are 5/6 in Paddy Powers. That looks a good bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Bayern are missing three central defenders and two of their better players from the last leg are missing also I think. They leaves them with a very inexperienced back 4 which can only be a good thing..

I have to admit, it would be hilarious if the pool did win and competition and it meant that Everton did not qualify for the compeition next year.. Talk about a kick in the sack but a total classic.

bayer nicht bayern :eek:

liverpool winning the champs league?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

They have been hopeless on the road this season and especially in Europe. That performance against Monaco was a prime example.
    In Monaco the game was going nowhere until Monaco were gifted a goal. It was one of the worst games of football Ive seen and was heading for 0-0. Even then Hyypia (I think) was very unlucky not to equalise with a header at the end.

Apart from that they have won two and lost one. They have only conceded two goals in four away games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

In Monaco the game was going nowhere until Monaco were gifted a goal. It was one of the worst games of football Ive seen and was heading for 0-0. Even then Hyypia (I think) was very unlucky not to equalise with a header at the end.

Apart from that they have won two and lost one. They have only conceded two goals in four away games.

Liverpool have been awful away from home in Europe and the league and the cup competitions. They were terrible in Monaco.

They flooked a win with an o.g against a La Coruna team that were in a slump at the time.

Did you see the Olympiakos match away? Liverpool barely got a touch of the ball.

Leverkusen have been awesome at home in the Champions League. Everything says it will be a home win, Steven Gerrard won't make a differance.

Liverpool have been awful away from home in Europe and the league and the cup competitions. They were terrible in Monaco.

It is not always about good performances. They have been poor in nearly every away Champs Lge match this season yet have still been very tight defensively. They were robbed of the draw against Monaco when Saviola blatantly handled the ball..

Bayern are a totally different proposition than the teams we have met so far. I also agree that Gerard wont make too much a difference, however I am still inclined he is better off the pitch than on it..

Liverpool will hopefully play like this:

Dudek
    Finnan----Carra
    Hypia----Riise
    Hamann
    TicTac---Gerard
    Biscan---Garcia
    Baros

LeTallec has not done much this season but IMO Nunez is the biggest waste of space..

This is a massive blow for Bayern in my opinion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4321531.stm

"Leverkusen are without defensive trio Roque Junior, Juan and Jens Nowotny.

With the three first-choice defenders injured Carsten Ramelow will partner 20-year-old Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker at the back. Klaus Augenthaler must also do without suspended midfield duo Robson Ponte and Paul Freier."

All the Liverpool pessimists, I can't even remember seeing one Man U fan who thought they'd lose in Milan. :) Thats the way to be, don't expect anything and its all the sweeter if you qualify. :)

edit - BTW, Richie Partridge picked up his third injury of the season (and his 150th of his career) for Liverpool's reserves tonight. One of the unluckiest footballers ever. :(

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    All the Liverpool pessimists,

Its sorta been bet into us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Its sorta been bet into us :)
    That night with bayer leverkusen.
    The 4-4 agg match.
    That was the most ive ever shouted at a tv.
    Could be another one of those nights.

rkm wrote:
    That night with bayern leverkusen.
    The 4-4 agg match.

Considering the results Bayern have got at home this season against big clubs I was very worried. The injuries affecting both sides should balance things out..

Note:

Injured:

Kirkland
    Josemi
    Traore
    Alonso
    Kewel
    Cisse
    Mellor
    Pongolle

Thank god the spine of the team is there along with some experience players or we would be screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

eirebhoy wrote:
    edit - BTW, Richie Partridge picked up his third injury of the season (and his 150th of his career)
    :eek: while I don't doubt you that seems like rather a lot. That'd be 3 a year for ten years but I suppose he's been round for quite a while - longest serving player at Liverpool AFAIK.

Bayer Leverkusen
    Bayern Munich

thank you
    :)

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    :eek: while I don't doubt you that seems like rather a lot. That'd be 3 a year for ten years but I suppose he's been round for quite a while - longest serving player at Liverpool AFAIK.
    sarcasm. ;) He just seems to get injured every time he regains full fitness.

eyerer wrote:
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Bayern Munich

thank you
    :)

God just realised what I was doing. Doh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

LeTallec has not done much this season but IMO Nunez is the biggest waste of space..
    "

LeTallec hasnt really had an opportunity to do much, but I think Smicer might start on the right ahead of him and Nunez. I've sensed a semblance of improvment from Nunez in recent appearances (he couldnt get any worse, of course), and at least he tries his best, unlike Garcia....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

IMO, Liverpool put themselves under too much pressure to perform. If they just forget their history, and just composed themselves and played focusedly, they would be alot better. Plus, the standard of players they get in needs to improve drastically.

Benitez,IMO, is a good coach but he brought in Pellegrino, Garcia and NUnez, whom he judged to be able to handle the Premiership. He was wrong. The only one who is performing is Alonso and Morientes.

No doubt Leverkusen pose a threat, with Berbatov, but it can be made easier if they just relax.

Leverkusen lost 1-0 to poor german opposition in the weekend.

LeTallec hasnt really had an opportunity to do much, but I think Smicer might start on the right ahead of him and Nunez. I've sensed a semblance of improvment from Nunez in recent appearances (he couldnt get any worse, of course), and at least he tries his best, unlike Garcia....

I actually forgot about Smicer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

rkm wrote:
    That night with bayer leverkusen.
    The 4-4 agg match.

Yeah you'll never forget it I bet, you might have remembered that it was 4-3 on agg to Bayer though :rolleyes:

p.pete wrote:

No, that's Carragher, I'm sure.

An intersting stat is that in all competitions this season Leverkusen played 15 matches in the BayArena and lost just once (against Schalke). They played four home CL matches (incl the Qualifier) and won all four, scoring 14 and conceding 1. So, I don't accept that Leverkusen are not going to be dangerous tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement