Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leverkusan vs Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I actually forgot about Smicer...

how could you !? :eek:
    :D

shamrok, they can win by a single goal and i'll be happy enough
    heres to an early pool goal, please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heres the starting 11

Dudek

-Finnan--Carragher--Hyypia--Warnock-

-Garcia--Hamman--Biscan--Riise--

Gerrard

Baros

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

why are any of rtes football pundits allowed live???
    idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Should have been a penno for Liverpool there, baros chopped down.
    Liverpool are actually playing pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As blatant a penno as you'll ever see. Hope we don't end up regretting the ref's mistake.

Great bit of play from gerrard there - great shot too. Saved though, 0-0.

Jaysus. 1-0 to the pool! Garcia with a flick on from Gerrards cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Garcia wo0t!

"Are you watching Manchester?" - dont know why those germans hate man utd :)
    Berbatov off now, leverkusen look shakey. All you can hear is the pool fans singing.

Fúckin yeah! 2nd form garcia!!!

• Advertisement

Unbelievable....... Garcia with a second!

Leverkusen need 5 now to go through AND they lost their best striker (Berbatov) - looking good for Liverpool.

i love him

almost a hat-trick for garcia!
    and even stranger... baros passed :D

garcia missed - sell him, what has he done for us recently??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

mayordenis wrote:
    garcia missed - sell him, what has he done for us recently??

Are you a Man utd fan :D

fcuk 2-0 arse game is fairly good will stick with that 2nd half , pool tru now.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Those RTÉ pundits are clueless. Wrong again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well that's sorted then, wonder who we'll have in the Quarters. Well deserved win for the pool, believe it or not I am going with the win, couple of penalties could have gone our way so far too, plenty more to come from this team, quick passing, good touches and everybody working back when we need with plenty of options going forward.

And a third, deserved for Baros really, has worked hard all night and got his reward.

Good goal for BL, well struck, Dudek is not happy that his clean sheet is not kept after a good performance from him. Who knows, they could score 5 in 2 minutes.

Fair play to the Germans, good game and You'll never walk alone over the speakers after they were beaten.. Nice touch. Another great European night for the reds, who knows, champions league place next season could even come as champs...

Yipeeeeeeee! :D

Baros does my head in! A forth goal begging to be scored and he does'nt look up.

Pundits are ****...

Mike.

• Advertisement

wonder who we'll have in the Quarters.
    Liverpool would have a very real chance of making the semi's if they draw PSV or Bayern. Even if they were to go out then, it'd still be great to see Liverpool progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

good result for Liverpool. RTE got it all pete tong. They played very well, Rafa looks like the real deal

whens the draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

congrats to liverpool

liverpool have a chance of winning it ah can you just imagine benitez winning the champions league in his first season that would shutup up a large section of idiot fans

well i'm happy they're through
    why can they never keep a clean sheet?
    always leave a sour taste :(

c'mon psv in the next round!
    would also like to know when the draw is...this friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Liverpool have been awful away from home in Europe and the league and the cup competitions. They were terrible in Monaco.

They flooked a win with an o.g against a La Coruna team that were in a slump at the time.

Did you see the Olympiakos match away? Liverpool barely got a touch of the ball.

Leverkusen have been awesome at home in the Champions League. Everything says it will be a home win, Steven Gerrard won't make a differance.
    The game in Monaco was awful. But it was down to both teams. A 0-0 draw was on the cards until the ref handed it to Monaco. A 0-0 draw away from home to a top seed is a good result in my book.

They didnt fluke a win against Depor. They put in a solid performance and were unlucky not to score a second.

Olympiakos was awful Ill admit that.

As for tonight :D

As was pointed out by one of the commentators tonight. Only Juventus conceded less in the group stages. I dont mind them conceding one a game in the knockouts, once the keep banging them in like that. :D

Shamrok wrote:
    An intersting stat is that in all competitions this season Leverkusen played 15 matches in the BayArena and lost just once (against Schalke). They played four home CL matches (incl the Qualifier) and won all four, scoring 14 and conceding 1. So, I don't accept that Leverkusen are not going to be dangerous tonight.

not to pick on you, but this kinda shows how useless stats and such can be

btw, as the commentator on sky said, why can liverpool play like that, and yet lose to newcastle, b'ham, everton, southampton etc
    argh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congratulations Liverpool.

I'm off to lie down in a darkened room. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Liverpool were ok. They didnt have to play well.

because

Leverkusen were terrible.

Don't do anything stupid Muppet, I know that now that you have admitted united are not good enough it is going to be tough for you for the rest of the season but at least you have two more Liverpool games in the CL to watch ;)

Apple, you do realise that sometimes the reason that a team play badly is because they are hurried and hassled and not given the ball. Leverkusen had no time on the ball and that is why they had such trouble scoring. Dudek and the defence were good all night and with a couple of penalty decisions could have been a romp.

• Advertisement

Hats off to Warnock and to Welsh when he came on, neither looked at all phased and Warnocks clearance on the edge of the area was brill!

Real Madrid are out so no dream tie at Anfield, no Spanish teams in quarters.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Liverpool were ok. They didnt have to play well.

because

Leverkusen were terrible.

my thoughts exactly as the match went on. Leverkusen came into it in the second half when we slacked off but the 3rd goal from Milan killed it altogether.
    The excuse Lever had lads mssing via suspension/injury etc doesn't cut it tbh. So did Liverpool but we got thru.
    And I dont think we had the handiest draw of the quarters :: would have been a different game v Werder or Lyon [examples only]

I'm really delighted with the win but we will have to play better to beat whos left :: on tonights form I dont think we could beat Milan or Juve. Those who doubt Lyon, remember they should have beaten Utd in the groups.

I am however optiminstic we *could* make the finals :: Liverpool v Lyon CL 2005 ?
    jesus :: I can see the utd fans posts now... :D

well done Rafa and the lads.
    gg pld etc

They didnt have to play well.
    But they did. Very well. They were unlucky not to score six or seven. And the only reason they conceded was because they took off key players towards the end and just lost shape.

Leverkusen could have scored plenty as well.

You are absolutley right, they could have scored loads, they could have suffered a massive bout of gastric flu aswell, liverpool killed the game off early and then took their foot off the pedal, makes sense really no need to push yourself when there is nothing at stake.

BTW how much did you lose betting against the pool tonight ?

Not until the game was dead and buried.

I had a €20 treble of Chelsea, Leverkusen and Lille. Odds were around 7/1

I was hoping I would be able to hedge my bet after tonight but it wasnt to be. Liverpool were 7/2 for the match tonight. Hindsight it great.

mike65 wrote:
    no Spanish teams in quarters.
    I don't know why people here rate Spanish football so highly. Just look at Deportivo and Real Madrid, they both flopped in Europe this season. As for Barcelona? They've got a truly world class player in Ronaldinho, quality players in Eto'o, Beletti, Puyol and most of the rest about average.

The Italians have the real quality, La Liga and the Premier League are about level.

got them at fours for £50, so not only am I happy but I am 200 quid up.

Hopefully we can carry that type of performance into the league and not suffer an CL hangover.
    I had a €20 treble of Chelsea, Leverkusen and Lille. Odds were around 7/1

I was hoping I would be able to hedge my bet after tonight but it wasnt to be. Liverpool were 7/2 for the match tonight. Hindsight it great.

• Advertisement

A few seasons back they had 3 of the last 4 which is pretty good. At the same time the Italians had forgotten how to play knock out CL football.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Congrats to Liverpool, a very professional performance.

It was a good game to watch also (not something i normally say about liverpool games). Congrats to them, their fans can be proud once more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kicks asssssssssssss :)

All in all, an good rock solid performance.. At least we turned up for this one..

Wonder who we will get inthe next round..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Don't do anything stupid Muppet,

I knew you cared. I,m sure you will be delighted to see I resisted the temptation to do anything stupid.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

We'll gladly take the good with the bad. :D
    Rather go through than play well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Chuffed the pool are through but I can't believe how easy the win was last night :eek: . I was expecting far more from Leverkusen tbh, I though they'd be bombarding Dudek's goal from the off. I switched over to RTE after the game and I also couldn't believe how much praise Dunphy/Giles were heaping on Liverpool, I'm still in shock :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Dunphy and Giles were made eat humble pie last nite, they both slated pool before the match and then they both back tracked and reversed and ended up heaping praise on benitez and the pool players ... Anyone see the pics of benitez in the Irish bar in cologne on tuesday, watching chelsea / man u games :) fair play to him ... Roll on the 1/4's

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

LizardKing wrote:
    Dunphy and Giles were made eat humble pie last nite, they both slated pool before the match and then they both back tracked and reversed and ended up heaping praise on benitez and the pool players ...

Yeah , Thankfully they were proven to be a pair of baffoons . Now i remember why I hate watching the Pool on RTE ! Pro UTD fools the lot of them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Great win for liverpool.

One player i wanted to single out for praise was warnock . He was amazing all night tackled brillantly on a number of occasions and got forward when ever he could.

Don't want to be negative but Gearad shows up and so do liverpool. When he plays well so do the team. Will this continue in the premier league ?

Massive game against everton !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well reading over this thread this morning helps bring the butterflies and joy right back up again :D

great result.

I still have quibbles though.

Garcia gave the ball away too easily too many times, kept on trying daft back flicks. Equally showed some quality touches as well though.

Baros. What a guy. On more than one occasion he was put into great space and seemed oblivious until the chance had passed - in the first half before we scored he'd had at least two opps. And that one in the final few minutes explemified why I won't be too sorry to see him leave. I would work hard for the team as well, but he needs to punishing defences more IMO.

Anyone spouting on about Leverkusen's injury concerns is deliberately ignoring Liverpools problems in that respect.

Giles and Dunphy gorged themselves on humble pie.

Gerrard as captain? Dunno TBH, if we made the final (live in hope) I'd make Carragher captain if Gerrard hadn't committed himself to the club at that stage - he wouldn't deserve it.

We've a good chance of a relatively weak side in the 1/4s now. AC wouldn't rip us apart - they're too controlled for that. Nor Juve. But I'd expect them to beat us. As for Inter not sure - they'd be favourites alright

Bayern would be manageable, and PSV, Lyon, Porto you'd hope that Liverpool would be favourites.

And now Owen gets to watch the 1/4 finals from even further from the sidelines than usual. Which is nice ;)

edit: my favourite moment of the match was the Bayer goal. I think It was Warnock he slammed the ball into the net again in frustration. They wanted the clean sheet. I liked that show of commitment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement