Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jove Alphastates olympia saturday march 19th

Options
  • 07-03-2005 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Jove and Alphastates along with the 66e and a couple of others play this saturday night in the Olympia.

tixs 15 euro.

sure its a bargain...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

+ Delorentos + Karl Vincent + Jenny Lindfors. Tis on next Saturday 19th. Last band on till about 1am, providing plenty of Paddy's weekend celebrations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

dude its actually saturday week (March 19th). should be quality laugh

Ha ha, beat you!

boat

Where, where????? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

I heard that due to a lack of advertising funds it was moved to the Olympic Ballroom behind Devitts pub.

Can anyone confirm or deny???

funny i heard it was moved to the claddagh ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

well if they get anyone in fair play to them.
    a load of unknown bands + 6 grand + probably a grand for promotion + expensive soundmen + lights + equipment, i mean, if they get change from 9 grand they'll be doing well.

so to make 9000 they need to get in about 700 people (what with booking fes and that). and there's probably a massive guestlist, so thats 700 members of the public.

thats ambitious alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

dude its actually saturday week (March 19th).

isn`t that what I said........... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Doolap

Can anyone from any of the bands tell me what the thinking behind this gig is? I must emphasise that I am not having a go, I am merely curious. If, as is suggested above and is probably not a million miles off, the whole shebang is costing about nine grand what do you hope to gain from it? If you sell it out, you still have two thousand people who got to see you live once. If it's a once off event, would the money not be better spent on releasing and advertising a single or ep which people could have and listen to? With that kind of money you could probably get some decent radio play and pick up some new fans.

But it's not my money so what do I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

most of the bands have eps out and in some cases albums.

Why not put on a show that lasts the whole nite( 8 till 1.30 i think) for 15 euro ?

None of the bands would fill it on their own and it gives them a chance to play in a great venue and the experience that goes with it.

I dont go for this "we`re irish so we gotta play every gig in whelans where the talker sin the bar take over" bull****.

The bands have obviously done their homework on the cost and decided to give it a go. Fair play to them.

Its worth noting that while there are tickets available from ticketmaster this is not an mcd gig but been organised independently.

Fair play is what i say.

Instead of questioning the costs with pie in the sky financial figures, get positive and support Irish music if you happen to like any of the bands.

If not fine but dont question someone for once showing a bit of ambition.

no, i think its good, but financially, i doubt if they will make any money, but i've heard good things about the bands.

either way i'll probably go.

if this works and it becomes a regular thing then the 'loud and clear' people will have loads of bands doing it.

Man seriously i doubt any of these bands are making much money from the currnet scene here anyway and if you think these bands are doing this gig for cash money i reckon you'd be mistaken.
    this gig is more about exposure and stepping up to a challenge.
    approaching breaking even i reckon would be the main objective.

yeah, i suppose so, but at the same time, most gigs you'd play your get a few quid for leads of pints or whatever.
    but if this doesn't work out they could lose a couple of hundred quid. y'know?
    thats a gamble alright.
    i wonder how they decied jove would be headlining? they are the least well know of all the bands playing. it would have made more sense for them to be fourth on thebill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Alphastates

Regarding the money, the idea is to try and break even. Regarding a thousand people seeing you live once, if that is the case, it's up to the band to make the most of having that audience there at that moment in those surroundings. If you do nothing, nothing will happen.
    Hats off to Jove for putting this on, come along and support it because the music will be great, the venue is great, and all of these bands have the potential to go places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Dont mean to be the voice of doom but this has disaster written all over it.

A mate of mine works in Ticketmaster and has told me there's been fook all tickets sold for it so far. The fact that its on Paddys Day weekend means that its competing with about a million other events that are either free or have mammoth advertising behind them so walk in business will be at a minimum. I don't care what any band says if you are on stage (especially in the Olympia) playing to a half full crowd it will affect your performance and finally Jove are god awful...

I'm going myself and hope I'm proved wrong but sadly don't see it happening. (I'll be long gone before the aforementioned headline act amble on stage possibly taking about one of the 19 Tsunami benifits they did)

bandit wrote:
    Dont mean to be the voice of doom but this has disaster written all over it.

A mate of mine works in Ticketmaster and has told me there's been fook all tickets sold for it so far. The fact that its on Paddys Day weekend means that its competing with about a million other events that are either free or have mammoth advertising behind them so walk in business will be at a minimum. I don't care what any band says if you are on stage (especially in the Olympia) playing to a half full crowd it will affect your performance and finally Jove are god awful...

I'm going myself and hope I'm proved wrong but sadly don't see it happening. (I'll be long gone before the aforementioned headline act amble on stage possibly taking about one of the 19 Tsunami benifits they did)

Whats that i hear....Ahh yes the sound of the floodgates opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

as its a gig with unsigned bands most of the ticket sales will on the door on the night, so i don't think thats an issue.
    the major publicity begins at the weekend so i'd say a lot of people will go due to that.

also, for most bands its the biggest gig they've played so far, so they'll all want to bring a crowd.

so i'd say there'll be at least 500 people there regardless.

anyway its very brave stuff, so fair play to the organisers...

Ticketmaster don't do much pre-sales for Whelans/Village gigs. This is just like that. Most of the sales are walk-up on the night.

Anyway, don't worry your little heads about the finance side of it. It doesn't make a difference to yez in the end. Just go see six great acts in a great venue for the Irish weekend that's in it!

yeah, but MCD don't want this to work. they can't have independent promotors running big gigs in venues like the olympia!
    apparently they've stopped publicity for the gig as much as possible, for example, they put a bit of pressure on Hotpress so that they'll pretend it doesn't exist. Hotpress is out on friday, check it out, i bet the gig is only mentioned in the listings.
    so if it works despite this against them even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

yeah, but MCD don't want this to work. they can't have independent promotors running big gigs in venues like the olympia!
    apparently they've stopped publicity for the gig as much as possible, for example, they put a bit of pressure on Hotpress so that they'll pretend it doesn't exist. Hotpress is out on friday, check it out, i bet the gig is only mentioned in the listings.

Ah here,

This is a bit conspiratorial isn't it! The bands concerned seem to be doing a very good job of getting publicity for this gig and will continue to do so. No one is being leaned on not to publicise it! What Hot Press decide to print, or not to print, is in the hands of its editor and nobody else.

As an idea, the gig sounds like a good one and has to be worth a try. If it works, then thats just brilliant, everyones a winner. And if it doesnt, then at least they gave it a shot. And isnt that the trick to this whole thing. If you want something enough, at some stage you have to get up off your arse and do something positive.

Best of luck to them all and I look forward to the night.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Pete Reed wrote:
    What Hot Press decide to print, or not to print, is in the hands of its editor and nobody else.

The dream.

Generally speaking, the reality of corporate puppetry looms a little too large for it to just be ignored. Though I see what you're saying: it's hard to imagine that it's going on between MCD and HotPress, probably because it's a case of everyone knowing everyone else (Dublin being Dublin) and it seems a little too close to home for us potential HP readers.

I would love to know the basis for your statements, Milkman. You sound very sure of what you're saying! If they're true, then I'd definitelylove to know more! :)

Anyway, on the subject of the gig, I can personally vouch for the quality, professionalism, and all round good-guy-nature (like that counts for anything...) of three of the acts involved anyhow. And the others, well I don't know too much about Jove, but Alphastates, c'mon! Fantastic fantastic band.

I'd be so delighted if this was a success in any sense of the word (even if it means simply breaking even). The way I see it, if the lads (and lassie..) can pull it off then it has the potential to be pretty groundbreaking and may pave the way for similar ventures. Is that a good thing? Yes it's a feckin good thing. I think the cynicism people seem to have here is quite misplaced. The people putting on the gig don't deserve it, frankly.

there is not ONE mention of the gig in this weeks hotpress, not even in the listings section

Talk about conspiracy theories! The hamster working overtime?

there is not ONE mention of the gig in this weeks hotpress, not even in the listings section

Well just as well HP isn't the only gig listing source out there isn't it....

And voilà another reason to steer clear of it!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

think you've been watching the x-files too much!

This gig is the biggest independent unsigned bands gig in a good while, HotPress aren't going to ignore it. it will definitely be mentioned and i'd say they might even do something on it. Its pretty silly to suspect that it'll be pushed out by a promotions company that aren't even involved.

kirn wrote:
    think you've been watching the x-files too much!

This gig is the biggest independent unsigned bands gig in a good while, HotPress aren't going to ignore it. it will definitely be mentioned and i'd say they might even do something on it. Its pretty silly to suspect that it'll be pushed out by a promotions company that aren't even involved.

see my previous post. Hot Press did not mention the gig once in its new edition. not even in the listings section which covers pretty much every music venue in the city let alone the olympia. also next edition of hot press wont be til March 24th and the gig is on March 19th so we can only hope that they reccomend/mention the gig after it takes place

see my previous post. Hot Press did not mention the gig once in its new edition. not even in the listings section which covers pretty much every music venue in the city let alone the olympia. also next edition of hot press wont be til March 24th and the gig is on March 19th so we can only hope that they reccomend/mention the gig after it takes place

I don't get it exactly - are you longing for the gig to be a failure? Think the bands are getting a bit too big for their boots? It sounds to me like you've love to see them fall flat on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

HP pretty much ignored and developments in the rock licence after Phantom got the nod from the BCI,
    the lesson, if u want the latest news don't read hp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Carlsber40

hi guys

This is Karl, Jove's manager, seeing as we started this show I better answer a few questions which have been posted on this thread. Firstly, why was it done? Simply two fold, too raise the profiles of the acts playing & secondly to attempt to show that outside of the monopoly that is MCD, things can happen, people can make things happen and that they can, hopefully be successful. We took acts with different styles and ones who we felt were ones to watch for 2005. 66e's album, in my opinion is one of the strongest albums to come out of this country in a long time, Made From Sand is fantastic and seems to have hit a real chord with certain areas of the irish media and public. Delorentos are one of the best live acts i have seen and portray serious on stage attitude. There have been alot of posts and threads about Jove this year, come down and see them and make your own mind up. Not everyone likes one band, its what makes bands different, but don't sit in on Saturday 19th March or go to the usual place. Come down to this night, support Irish Acts whether you like them or not. We moan constantly about MCD, Hot Press and ticketmaster all the time... so here is a night which is about unsigned acts and a chance to make some changes in the music scene.

A number of things have taken place in the last two weeks which have made life difficult for this night in question. The Hot Press listing was merely the icing on the cake. One of the biggest independent nights in this country and they didn't even carry a listing. It says it all.

So, I hope to see as many of you there as possible, and any further questions you have please let me know.

For those who don't know yet, The Last Splash's Alison Curtis will MC the night.

Best
    Karl

Advertisement