Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jove Alphastates olympia saturday march 19th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

roxy wrote:
    I don't get it exactly - are you longing for the gig to be a failure? Think the bands are getting a bit too big for their boots? It sounds to me like you've love to see them fall flat on their faces.

i was actaully only making a critical point towards hot press' lack of involvement/enthusiasm towards the night which i feel sucks. i know everyone is down on hot press but the fact of the matter is they get a hell of a lot more readers into music than pretty much any other media in the country and i feel they should at least recognise the gig even if it is only in the listings. i mean even the Angler Rest in Chapelizod gets a mention in it. if it was an oversight on either sides behalf then fair enough but at least recognise the effort.
    you dont know me.....so its not cool to make suggestions as to where i stand based on 2/3 posts....but i know you....F.S ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

also next edition of hot press wont be til March 24th and the gig is on March 19th so we can only hope that they reccomend/mention the gig after it takes place

Actually this didnt exactly come across as i wanted it to. Apologies. i'm still trying to nail this thing people call sarcasim down on this there interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

Who's going anywho? It's gonna be a late one too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Who's going anywho? It's gonna be a late one too!

I'm affraid that I'll be in the Angler Rest in Chapelizod, I hear its a rocking venue and that Jove won't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Carlsber40

bandit wrote:
    I'm affraid that I'll be in the Angler Rest in Chapelizod, I hear its a rocking venue and that Jove won't be there.

Correct Bandit, Jove will be in the Olympia with 5 other super acts trying to make a difference.

• Advertisement

Carlsber40 wrote:
    trying to make a difference.

Like Bono???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

you dont know me.....but i know you....F.S ;)

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

bandit wrote:
    Like Bono???

haha!

ah leave him alone, bandit.
    he just got screwed by hotpress and mcd!

he's probably a little raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Hotpress is out on friday, check it out, i bet the gig is only mentioned in the listings.

not even in the listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

some unknown artist in siberia has recorded his first song and they want to have him over here so that pat kenny can claim on the late late show that we "found" him/her first !

Well I will be there.

I do suggest however that before next weekend a rough timetable of who is playing and what time is made public and is stuck to on the night.

There is nothing worse than having the bands order mixed up and people not knowing if someone has played already etc.

Best of luck with the gig.

Lets re double the promo for it for the next week in the interests of Irish music as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

this country is ****e

some unknown artist in siberia has recorded his first song and they want to have him over here so that pat kenny can claim on the late late show that we "found" him/her first !

Well I will be there.

I do suggest however that before next weekend a rough timetable of who is playing and what time is made public and is stuck to on the night.

There is nothing worse than having the bands order mixed up and people not knowing if someone has played already etc.

Best of luck with the gig.

Lets re double the promo for it for the next week in the interests of Irish music as a whole.

Hey Buzzer & Co

I will get a post up later at somepoint about time slots on the night so as people know and we HAVE to stick to the timetable on the night or else it will go all over the shop. Thanks for all the positive vibes and we see you on the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

well done to all those involved for putting on this show.

I do love Alphastates and have seen Jove playing and they are very good.Well worth the 15 euro.
    Best of luck to everyone involved. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Fair doors to ye on this. I'm really looking forward to it and I wish ye all the best for it.
    That does indeed suck about HotPress, but I'm not all that surprised to be perfectly honest.
    Promotion for it seems to be in place to me, I've been seeing flyers and posters about the place for the past week or so. Fair dues.
    xm

memaeve... thank you for the support and you Uma. We're starting to feel the publics reaction too. In essenece we we're not originally giving two fingers to anyone but Hot Press has absolutely infuriated Jove & I.

I wont speak for the other acts as that would not be fair, they can make their own thoughts known if needs be but the one major music magazine in the country chose to ignore arguably the most important backlash of Independent music in the last 10 years. So forget them, we'll move on and lets pack the olympia theatre on the 19th!! Someone else on another board called this anarchy i saw today, its a mild form of anarchy now alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

heard the interview with PAul from Jove on newstalk today. very cool. best of luck with the gig :)

Carlsber40 wrote:
    but the one major music magazine in the country chose to ignore arguably the most important backlash of Independent music in the last 10 years.

Would you f.uck off, this won't be remembered in a months time

bandit wrote:
    Would you f.uck off, this won't be remembered in a months time

Bandit you have not liked the idea from the start which is absolutely fine. And if this is not important in your world then thats fine too, but to some people it is important and I would debate your comments fully as to whether or not this will be just spilt milk in a few months time & as to whether or not this gig is important. Nevertheless, I've no interest in this developing into a "yes it was, no it was'nt" contest. Am suggesting to you if its bothering ya as much as it seems to be then dont go to the olympia on saturday. If your interested in supporting something cos you like the bands playing at it, with the exception of Jove, which is also fine, then shut up, buy a ticket and have a great night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Damo Rice

In all fairness.. I think its a good Idea but Its really a risky one! I think your setting your goals too high. I don't think any of the bands will pull the crowds you need to pull. I would agree with the Bandit..He's being realistic! I've seen Jove a few times and they annoy the **** out of me! I like bands that are original not that completely sound like another band!! Jove come across as arrogant, Cocaine snorting, mediocre musicians.

Carlsber40 wrote:
    Bandit you have not liked the idea from the start which is absolutely fine. And if this is not important in your world then thats fine too, but to some people it is important and I would debate your comments fully as to whether or not this will be just spilt milk in a few months time & as to whether or not this gig is important. Nevertheless, I've no interest in this developing into a "yes it was, no it was'nt" contest. Am suggesting to you if its bothering ya as much as it seems to be then dont go to the olympia on saturday. If your interested in supporting something cos you like the bands playing at it, with the exception of Jove, which is also fine, then shut up, buy a ticket and have a great night. :D

I've not been against it, I plan on going and will gladly support the "independant music scene" my original query was as to wether it will make any money seeing as the week thats it it with so much else going on in and around town but as someone already pointed out thats not for me to worry about.

I also just thought it was a crazy statement to say it will be the most important backlash for independent music in the last 10 years, what about republic of loose ambassedor gig, WAV ticketsales, Hotpress unsigned battle of the bands, Dave Fanning Sessions, etc etc

In the end its all just a matter of taste and I wish you luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Damo Rice

Don't Back down Bandit!!

bandit wrote:
    I've not been against it, I plan on going and will gladly support the "independant music scene" my original query was as to wether it will make any money seeing as the week thats it it with so much else going on in and around town but as someone already pointed out thats not for me to worry about.

I also just thought it was a crazy statement to say it will be the most important backlash for independent music in the last 10 years, what about republic of loose ambassedor gig, WAV ticketsales, Hotpress unsigned battle of the bands, Dave Fanning Sessions, etc etc

In the end its all just a matter of taste and I wish you luck with it.

See now we're getting on!! Your spot on its a matter of taste and as i said to you not everyone likes Jove which is dont expect nor would ever force on people. Its not possible for everyone to like them. I never get into slaggins matches with people however I am about to break that cycle at the end of this post with regard to "new member" (presuming that cos he has one post) "DamoRice".

Ok with regard to Dave Fanning sessions, backed by dave fanning, not independent, great stuff but backed by people with influence. Hot Press magazine battle of the bands, backed by Hot Press, and its debatable now whether they really are held in high regard anymore, as in the past 2 years they appear to have become a "lifesytle" magazine. fair play the republic of Loose! had forgotten about that night, apologies. This night is about four bands, taking one of the best venues we have over and putting on a brilliant night which all four acts will. we pay for it, no one backs it, Alison Curtis MC's and we all have a ball. Stay for jove bandit and then you can message me on the monday and if you dont like them thats totally cool, no problems at all with it and never will have. Right so, me and Bandit are cool now and thanks for all the comments, the latter being much more constructive.

Now DamoRice - with regard to "arrogant, cocaine snorting, mediocre musicians" - you dont like the band, thats cool. Accusations like that, completely untrue, blatantly have no idea what your talking about and with regard to "mediocre musicians" - shove it up your ass!

Thats all from me folks on this thread. See whoever is coming on the 19th!

Thanks again

Karl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 66e

Carlsber40 wrote:
    I wont speak for the other acts as that would not be fair

Hotpress have always been good to us. Just to be clear these opinions are not those of us.

See ye on Saturday, or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭delorentos

66e wrote:
    Hotpress have always been good to us. Just to be clear these opinions are not those of us.

See ye on Saturday, or not!

Likewise. Looking forward to saturday, 6 very different, but very good acts. Hopefully something to suit all tastes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

4 very different, but very good bands

AND Karl Vincent AND Jenny Lindfors...

roxy wrote:
    AND Karl Vincent AND Jenny Lindfors...

Doh!!! .... thought i was supposed to leave this thread! Apologies to both Jenny and Karl. Very much part of this and have not been in my posts...

Sorry guys!
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

its not about making money and thats the beauty of the gig.

Its about giving value for money to the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Carlsber40 wrote:

Now DamoRice - with regard to "arrogant, cocaine snorting, mediocre musicians" - you dont like the band, thats cool. Accusations like that, completely untrue, blatantly have no idea what your talking about and with regard to "mediocre musicians" - shove it up your ass!

Sue for slander.

xm

memaeve wrote:
    Sue for slander.

xm

I cant....... he's Damo Rice !!!! :D

K x

• Advertisement

memaeve wrote:
    Sue for slander.

xm

Its actually only slander if someone saws something, you could sue for libel though. When you post as many and insults as I do you learn these things :D

Advertisement