Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Weird problem....

• 07-03-2005 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

This happens every now and then on my computer ant its starting to annoy me. I'll describe it as best as i can but it is hard to explain

What happens is that when i'm just doing normal things like browsing the net or word proccesing the computer starts going crazy and tries to shut down whatever programss i'm using,t he cursor goes crazy to flying all around the screen. It usually brings up the start menu and expores it. Other times it tries to close down whatever i am doing. It tries to right click everything aswell. I usually stop what is happening by just pressin escape or bringing up Task manager. This seems to stop it.

Anyone know what going on, it is getting more frequent so i want to try stop it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Sounds like a virus, or someone has remote control of the PC. Does it do this when you are not connected to the web?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

first of all i suggest you scan your pc for adware and spyware seeing as you haven't mentioned it in your post.

spybot 1.3

ad aware SE

i advise to get both programs update them and then scan your pc.

tell us then how it went on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd recommend Microsoft Antispy. It's still a beta but it's quite effective.

I've linked to the download page below...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en&Hash=MKFS5F4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

scanned them using both last night, nothing was found and they are both up to date. Yep im connected to the net when this is happening. Have azuerus running , i cant seem to pinpoint if it is happening with certain programs running because it doesnt happen that often. Has happened three times in the last 5hours i reckon and it only last bout 30 sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

it looks like someone is using remote desktop sharing. disconnect from the net and try this. rightclick on my computer and select properties or press the windows and pause break keys which will brig up system properties. go to advanced and unclick allow users to connect remotely to this computer. if that`s not turned on get back to us. also do you use a firewall such as http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp .if you dont you should.

• Advertisement

I'll try this, i use Sygate firewall, its not like someone is actually controlling my computer as its like they are doing about 10 different things all at once. I'll take a screen shot of what happens the next time, knowing the way these things happen it prob wont for ages!!!

Thanks for all the help btw

Edit: allow remote users is not turned on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

that happens me sometimes when i have the usb mouse plugged into the ps/2 port.

theres some feature in something or other that pops the mouse up to the x in the top right corner , kind of like focus [ i HATE focus btw...] anyway its like the mouse does it to all the screens at once and closes them.

thats why i dont use the ps/2 port anymore heheh.

fully secure sytem btw

ps/2port? heard of it before but what is it?? My mouse is connected to the "mouse" connector at back of pc, not a usb port. Its the standard connection on a dell pc

ps/2 is the mouse port, sorry for not being clear.

Chalk wrote:
    ps/2 is the mouse port, sorry for not being clear.

Thanks,

so is there any fix for that or it just get a usb mouse

• Advertisement

i dont know if theres a fix or if its a know isue of sorts.
    just that when i plug my mouse into that port it goes haywire sometimes.

I'm assuming that might be it but never heard of that problem before. Assuming mine goes to the bottom left and then starts right clicking, and when i move it i end up right clicking the toolbars down the bottom and closing programs down. I just did it there to try it out and the start menu folder opens if i do that at the start button.

Cheers for all your help, looks like either new mouse or just live with it

http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/09/17/230839.aspx

might be of use to you, kind of half suggests it could be a faulty mouse.
    i think it explains my problem anyway as im suing a lapotp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

apeking hasn't mentioned the sort of machine he has (laptop/desktop) but
    On laptops there's a tendency for the mouse control stick in the middle of the keyboards to get stuck making the mouse drift to one side, even with the laptop docked. Cleaning around the stick usually helps.

Diagnosis would go like, At each stage use for a few minutes to see if the problem reoccurs.
    borrow a usb mouse? If problem stops, then problem is likely to be ps2 issue

On a laptop, temporarily disable the onboard pointer controls through the bios.
    if issue stops, issue might be dirt or short around keyboard/touchpad

Swap PS2 mouse. issue might be with the mouse cable

Are there any special function mouse drivers supplied with the mouse? Might be worth removing them, if other steps fail.

Its a desktop PC, have to get a loan of a mouse and see if that is the poroblem. I'm nearly sure it is but want to know if it is the port or the mouse. Its a standard dell mouse so dont think it comes with any drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭smorton

i had that problem myself. it only started after the mouse got a whack so i thought that was the prob. got a wireless mouse and it had the same prob. i put it down to wireless mice being carp. changed mouse again and i haven't looked back. ive loads of reinstalls tho so it could well have been a virus or something that was software related. newho try a new mouse. I've loads if you want one :D a total of four working ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have seen it several times in the past, both with my machines and other peoples. always ps/2 mice, so have always replaced with ps/2 as i never found another way to fix it. tried new ps/2 mice, but it came back, tried removing & re-installing both keyboard and mouse but no different.

the one time it was a usb optical mouse it turned out that the mousemat was too shiny and the lasser was being deflected by the uneven surface. worked fine on the table tho, so problem solved that time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Peeps1977

Defo mouse had mad prob meself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

ok Here is something to try next time it happens.

If you press down on the palmrest (beside the touchpad thingy) on the right hand side of the notebook ( i assume that is what you are using) and it gets worse .. then it could be a issue with the Cable connecting the onboard mouse (Touchpad, Pointer device) and that would require replacement .. all depends on you warrenty ofc .

Advertisement