Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the CCNA exam any good?

Options
  • 07-03-2005 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey all!

I have a question :). Is the CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) exam worth it? I took a look at Google and it says that it's good to have in that it shows that you have good knowledge of networks and that it's the required first step to taking more advanced cisco exams.

There's a course on offer here (Egypt) and I'm not sure whether or not to go for it so I thought I'd ask you experts :). I'm a grad of Electronic & Comp. Eng. Galway and I've a pretty good understanding of networks, protocols etc.

The course is 48 hours long and is for the equivalent of about 200 euro with the exam the same amount. Is this a good price and, more importantly, will the 48 hours (done in about a month) be enough to take the internet-based exam?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Holy crap....200 euro for 48 hours tuition? The 5 day boot camps here for CCNA are 2500 euro! :-(

I think you'd need longer than a month, unless you're used to working with routers regularly. I'd recommend you do the INTRO exam first, a lot of people fail the first time round taking the regular CCNA exam, if you do the INTRO it's split into two exams so it's not as tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

eth0_ wrote:
    Holy crap....200 euro for 48 hours tuition? The 5 day boot camps here for CCNA are 2500 euro! :-(

I think you'd need longer than a month, unless you're used to working with routers regularly. I'd recommend you do the INTRO exam first, a lot of people fail the first time round taking the regular CCNA exam, if you do the INTRO it's split into two exams so it's not as tough.

Anymore information on the intro exam? Sounds interesting

It should be on the cisco website, a friend of mine did it, it's just the normal CCNA exam split into two exams, you do the 2nd one whenever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

eth0_ wrote:
    It should be on the cisco website, a friend of mine did it, it's just the normal CCNA exam split into two exams, you do the 2nd one whenever you want.

Ok just been lazy, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Yes it is good and for €200, very good. If you are successful with the exam you can then consider CCNP which is an excellent qualification to have and will get you good contracts/salary when successfully passed.

For the CCNP you will need to get the lab (routers/switches) and the course materials. Might be cheap where you are.

osmethod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 amuga

Thanks guys for answering. Very much appreciated. I'm pretty tempted. I'll find out more about doing the intro exam and stuff.

This is clearly a great place to get information. I hope I can return the favour anyway I can in the future. Thanks again!

The main thing to remember is that no one is gonna give you a job JUST because you passed the CCNA. You could pass it without ever having used a router. Try and get hands on experience.

Advertisement