Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS Getting slated!!

Options
  • 07-03-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

To be honest I was never really planning on getting a DS, well there was a few days there before I actually learn't anything about the PSP, but anyway, I just read an article by the editor of 1up.com and he dosen't really have anything good to say, but it could just be his choice of games.

here is the link to check out fer yerselves. .....LINK.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well what you expect from a person who likes the lost prophets.

ahh no that's harsh, he's entitled to his opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah thats nothin. sure ive already seen articles in the sun and the mirror talking about christmas and th psp and sayin how the ds will basically not be a threat. see this is why little gob****es will convince their parents to buy the psp for them.

not that the psp is bad but....ya know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

To me the DS is all a bit of deja vu (sp?)

Nintendo DS = Sega Saturn .... why is that Wicknight, I hear you all say .. well let me tell you

The DS is really a top of the range 2D games platform with some limited 3D capabilities thrown in to make it at least appear Next-Gen ... just like the Saturn was.

The majority of games seem to be 2D, and apart from the touch screen (which I think is a bit of a gimmick) the system doesn't seem much more than a GBA with a bit extra.

Compared to the processing power and 3D power of the PSP it is a calculator, and just like the Sega Saturn eventually lost out to the original Playstation, I can easily see the DS going the same way for the same reasons, its limited power and Sony's marketting.

Of course with Nintendo you can never write off the quality of the games, and while I suspect the DS will not perform that well when head to head with the PSP, I don't think it is going to be another N-Gage because, as with the N64 at least the games themselves are probably going to be top quality even if the system isn't that sucessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Bad article. Not being a fanboi, but it was a bad article. Everyone knows what warioware is about, it's not the graphics, it's not the length of single player, it's the sheer blast of immense fun in under 10seconds.

I don't mind people not liking the DS, each to his owns, but this article was a bad one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wicknight wrote:
    Nintendo DS = Sega Saturn .... why is that Wicknight, I hear you all say .. well let me tell you

The DS is really a top of the range 2D games platform with some limited 3D capabilities thrown in to make it at least appear Next-Gen ... just like the Saturn was.

The saturn also had some of the finest games ever created. Just because it was ignored by everyday joe bloggs doesn't mean it won't be a great console. Remember the PS2 sold out for ages and it had nothing good on it for a whole year.

But I do see what you mean. The DS might have quality games but the buying public are going to go for the flashiest gadget and that just happens to be the PSP. I don't see the DS failing. However the PSP will almost certainly topple Nintendo from the top of the handheld market.

Wicknight wrote:
    at least the games themselves are probably going to be top quality

I'm sorry, but why else do you buy a handheld GAMING console?

{EDIT} Agree, 100% with Retr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm sorry, but why else do you buy a handheld GAMING console?

{EDIT} Agree, 100% with Retr0

That is the reason why we buy consoles, for the games. It is the reason why I have a GameCube even though the GC section in HMV takes up about a tenth or less than the PS2 section. But I also have a PS2.

My point is that your average gamer will want the system with the cool new graphics and the abillity to play PlayStation 2 style games not a slightly advanced GBA with some very good, but very unflashy games. Even hard core gamers will not ignore the PSP, though they might buy a DS as well. But put the DS and the PSP head to head, like the Saturn was with the PSOne, and the PSP is going to win.

I'll put this down to mis-understanding on my part.
    I don't doubt that the PSP will win this fixture. To say it is comparable to a sega saturn though :rolleyes: :p .

DS FOR TEH WIN!!shift+1!1 :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

See the writer's profile on the left - "My Tastes: Could be better"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think psp will definately and unfortunately win in the handheld department. Sony cant do any wrong in the public eye when it comes to computers :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ah thats nothin. sure ive already seen articles in the sun and the mirror talking about christmas and th psp and sayin how the ds will basically not be a threat. see this is why little gob****es will convince their parents to buy the psp for them.

not that the psp is bad but....ya know....

Yeah, saw a piece in the Sun about the PSP which said it was coming out soon and its price was 230euro or something, also how it was going to be the biggest gadget since the walkman etc. etc. Obvious that the article was commissioned by Sony to get the boot in before the DS launch, just like those stupid stories over Christmas about slimline PS2s being stuck in the Suez Canal... fluff anyone?

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

psp is a horse of a handheld.
    My pockets are not big enough.

but despite... that, i have to admit some of ds games do look like post gba , 3d illusion. I dont see why Bomber man is still 1d, and castlevania 2d.
    Retro classics maybe ? since NFS is 3D.
    I see DS more of a proper hand held , but above comments and reviews like such and Nintendos DS Re-Design rumours put me on the spot and push me towards the psp.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i like nintendo and love my gamecube and advance sp but i have to admit the lineup of games so far for the DS is very dissapointing, i think the machine looks good but im not going to buy it untill i see some better software, i may go for a psp in the end as theres a few good games coming out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

Well he's judging the DS on two games alone which is quite blinkered. I actually agree with him on both Wario Ware (which I prefered the GBA version by far) and Mr.Driller (which I simply must not be getting). In fact, as I'm sure I've said here far too often, I am very disappointed with the DS releases in general but to drop a console based on two games is ridiculous.

As for Saturn comparisons? Nothing has yet shown me any similarity between the two. Yeah the Saturn had great 2D ability but the DS has yet to show that it can do any 2D visuals above the level of the GBA. Castlevania looks like it could change that as it looks to me to be PS1 standard graphics but nothing so far shows the DS to be a 2D powerhouse. And the Saturn was far better supported than the DS is.

Dogg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I dont see why Bomber man is still 1d, and castlevania 2d.

Well Castlevania has always worked better in 2D. The N64 games were crap and the PS2 one was good but not up to castlevania standards.

The N64 was a 2D powerhouse but was only used in for a few 2D games. If the DS is more powerful than the N64 I'd say it will have no trouble with 2D.

Yep, 2D Castlevania is always excellent.

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Retr0gamer wrote:

The N64 was a 2D powerhouse but was only used in for a few 2D games.

Errrrr, no it wasn't. It was strictly a 3d machine. It didn't have half the ram required to buffer in heavy amounts of sprites, perhaps if they actually made use of the ram upgrade, it might have made a difference but it was all too little too late.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

PSP takes a bashing in a few places:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000743034952/

Well the N64 pulled off some amazing 2D stuff with starcraft and bangai-oh. It had mire ram than the saturn (correct me if I'm wrong) and definitely more video ram. The saturn was an awesome 2D machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Tis fairly simple really, n64, bugger all storage space on those carts, 4 meg internal ram, which is better than the saturn (tho the saturn had a useable 4meg upgrade cart for kof and other fighting games with heavy sprite animation) but the saturns cpu was designed to throw sprites around, the n64's wasn't.
    Capcom were many times rumoured to be porting one of the SF alpha games to the N64, but never did it, either the machine couldn't manage it without losing alot of frames or lack of interest, dunno.
    Neither were particularily powerhouses of 2d gaming, that honor goes to a few arcade systems and the neogeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Rew wrote:
    PSP takes a bashing in a few places:

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000743034952/
    Why? Why did Sony insist on putting an optical drive in the PSP when it had to compromise on so many other issues? Simple, Sony wants to sell you movies and music on the UMD. They want you to buy a UMD movie for $20. That UMD movie has 1/3 the resolution of a similar priced DVD. That UMD movie can’t be played back on a TV. That UMD movie does not have additional DVD features, menus, subtitles or other cool things you may find on a DVD. Sony makes nearly 100% profit on movies and music.

my favourite bit in that article and the reason that i'm buying a ds now instead of ordering a psp

There are, however, a coupe of flaws in that reasoning - Sony could have put movies on other formats than optical disks. Anything with a decent amount of memory can hold a movie - including the memory stick used for saves. To say it only takes UMDs because of movies assumes that UMDs were the only formats they could use. They were not. In that scenario they might have also been encouraged to limit how the memory stick could be used - allowing people to use their own mp3s or encode their own movies from dvd doesn't quite work with that thinking.

I have no doubt that Sony are hoping to make a bundle off the UMDs but they would make more from dvds simply from the number of units sold. Acting as studio, publisher, distributor, music publisher they get almost 100% of the profit anyway. So I find it hard to believe that the only reason that the machine uses UMDs is for Sony to sell movies. Sony sells movies anyway and could do it on any format - just as Majesco does with the GBA carts.

Dogg.

I don't think it assumes that umd was the only format they could use, it just assumes it's the format the gives sony the most control.for them the problem with flash memory would be that sony wouldn't have as much control, i mean why would you buy a flash cards with movie when you could just download and rip your own. Umd isn't a common format like DVD so you won't have people burning their own.

Exactly, people can't rip UMDs but you're almost proving my point here - how are Sony going to sell a lot of UMD movies when those same movies can be ripped from dvd and popped straight onto the Memory Stick with no hassle at all? They are controlling UMDs and yet have made a system that is designed to play movies straight from the Memory Stick which people can transfer from any home computer.

That doesn't fit with the logic of dooming their system to a short battery life for no other reason than to sell movies. I'm not saying that they don't hope to make money from UMD movies (though at that price I sincerely doubt how many they'll sell), but it doesn't seem like that was their primary goal.

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Having imported my ds from america almost 2 months ago i can honestly say it was well worth it

i agree with your point but somethng that is often forgotten here on boards is that we're not exactly the "typical" consumer that sony would target. most people on boards are very tech savvy but we are only a tiny minority of sony's target customer range. How many of us would buy a full price dvd in hmv if we could get it cheaper online? not too many i'd bet however there are lots of people who will either because they don't realise they can get discounts or because they can't be bothered waiting 5 or 6 days for a dvd.

I think the same people will buy umds rather than spending loads of time ripping films, encoding and sticking them on a memory stick. Thats only my opinion though.

In any case if UMD movie sales aren't a big factor in the decision to go optical (at a time when flash memory is v. cheap and improving) i do wonder why sony decided to use the optical disks?

No idea. Price would have been a factor. I'm sure they are far cheaper to produce than carts. They aren't all that practical - unlike the nice DS cart, you can't just chuck a few in your pocket as you go out the door because they are bigger and exposed to scratches. As Sony love their eye candy and use it as a selling point you can be sure they's want loads of FMV which could be done on other formats but, again, would be cheaper on disks. Who knows...

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Dogg Thang wrote:
    As Sony love their eye candy and use it as a selling point you can be sure they's want loads of FMV which could be done on other formats but, again, would be cheaper on disks. Who knows...

Dogg.
    YEP gotta agree. But another reason would be that kids (I am presuming that they are a main chunck of the target audiancd) are pre-occupied with what is hip, new and cool, game cartridges have been around since the dawn of time as far as these lot are concerned.
    The new tiny disk is exactly like the kinda thing we see in futuristic movies and the likes, imagine how cool the kids with UMD's first will feel, let alone be to their friends, and we all know that parents can only put up with so much nagging before they cave!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I don't think it assumes that umd was the only format they could use, it just assumes it's the format the gives sony the most control.for them the problem with flash memory would be that sony wouldn't have as much control, i mean why would you buy a flash cards with movie when you could just download and rip your own. Umd isn't a common format like DVD so you won't have people burning their own.

Havent Sony said they plan to market UMD technology to other companies and use it outside the PSP (for movies, not games)?
    If so I don't see them holding onto the format for long as UMD-RW's will be available shortly after UMD players start to sell. Saying that I imagine the UMD will be far from successful for a number of reasons (mainly that portable DVD players are becoming cheaper and more compact which allows people to enjoy everything a DVD has to offer without having to buy into a whole new format that is in many ways inferior)

flogen

Advertisement