Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS Getting slated!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

1huge1 wrote:
    Having imported my ds from america almost 2 months ago i can honestly say it was well worth it
    I think the exact opposite, im gutted that i spent my money on a glorified GBA. But my PSP on the other hand is my new best friend, i use it in the car or just around the house, games are good too and before anyone starts, im not a fanboy, i like all consoles that have good games and the DS does not have any that suit me, and none of the future releases look interesting either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Probelm with the DS atm is the game line up is not as good as it should be, where is zelda and metariod?, if gta is good on the psp and they drasticly reduce the price of UMD movies it will beat DS in my opinion, also Nintendo should get creative with the touch screen it does not add much to the games at the moment.

I have a psp and have seen the ds and there is no comparison between the two GFX, however I would buy the DS if it has the killer games for it.

Battery life is a problem for the PSP btw, that the only area the DS beats PSP hands down

flogen wrote:
    Havent Sony said they plan to market UMD technology to other companies and use it outside the PSP (for movies, not games)?
    If so I don't see them holding onto the format for long as UMD-RW's will be available shortly after UMD players start to sell. Saying that I imagine the UMD will be far from successful for a number of reasons (mainly that portable DVD players are becoming cheaper and more compact which allows people to enjoy everything a DVD has to offer without having to buy into a whole new format that is in many ways inferior)

flogen

also the UMD eats battery which is at a premium on the PSP, and theyre insanely expensive, no the best alternative is 1gig+ memory stick which are dropping in price all the time, also hopefully sony or someone else will release a better battery for use with the psp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Gizzard wrote:
    also the UMD eats battery which is at a premium on the PSP, and theyre insanely expensive, no the best alternative is 1gig+ memory stick which are dropping in price all the time, also hopefully sony or someone else will release a better battery for use with the psp
    You can get an extra battery for about 30quid.

UMD's are used because, like all optical media they are a lot cheaper per MB than flash memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Anyway, all these arguments about the PSP will 'win' or whatever mean feck all!

Nintendo admit, and I beleive are damn proud, that the DS was the fastest designed console ever, going from concept to sales in less than 18months!

And every DS is sold at PROFIT, whereas the PSP loses approx $100 for each sale!

The DS was a kneejerk dreamed up because Nintendo were probably genuinely shocked at the PSP's surprise announcement at E3 '03 and had no plans for a GBA2 (GBFuture??) yet.

But it all seemed to work out for them, the DS is a good console with a 'unique' selling point, even if it isn't to everyone's taste.

[I'm still getting a PSP 'cos I'm poor and want to play Lumines/Wipeout/ProEvo :D)]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Surely UMDs make perfect sense whatever way you look at it. DS games come on 128MB carts, PSP games come on 1.8GB discs. Quite a huge difference there, and one thats needed for games as much as movies. Yes they *could* have come up with 1GB memory cards... but I'm not sure how happy consumers would be to pay 100 quid for a game to cover the price of the format.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

In fairness, the people who designed the DS were not idiots like the PSP designers.

FACT - the PSP is sub-standard to wat it should be
    the reason for this is look at the amount of problems with the basic design of the console. A square button which locks up because of the size of the screen. sony knew about this but decided to go with it neway cos the screen size was "cool", ("f**k praticallity image is more importent", one of the sony CEO's probably said).

There has also been problems with the disks firing out the bottom of the device because of faults, considering it took sony a good time to get it right (it was conceived, planned and produced in about 2 1/2 - 3 years) and nintendo took about 1 - 1 1/2 years on the DS you would think these problems shouldnt be there.

Then there is the battery life, apparantly 3 hours of playing ridge racers is enough for the poor batterys. yeah its got cool graphics and is more powerful etc. than the DS but the games look below par (except ridge racers).

Problem is ppl will buy it in spades anyway because of that Playstation tag although because again of sony f-ing up the whole thing it undersold in Japan compared to the DS at xmas time, they didnt produce enough and had all sorts of teething problems. anyway because playstations are most successfull in Ireland (I read somewhere it has a 85% market share here), expect PSPs to become the new iPod here.

I'll be happy to get a DS though, and when the batterys run out on the PSP, ill still be playing Advance Wars DS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

Unfortunately most PSP owners here can't back up your "FACTs". I've not had one button lock-up (anyone here had that happen?). I have not heard of one case of the disks firing out except for that one video which looks quite deliberate (anyone here had that happen?). I get double that time playing RR on my PSP (anyone here only getting 3 hours on RR?). Before you use the word FACT, you may want to check some of them.

On the flip side of that, Dearg Doom, yep you can buy an extra battery but I really think that is something you shouldn't have to do. But then I also balked at the idea of having to buy several memory cards when the PS1 came out.

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Indeedy, "facts".

5 1/2 hours or so playing RR
    No buttons stuck (it was a little squeaky at first but doesn't do that anymore)
    No UMDs ejecting

I didn't buy it because of the Sony name. I don't even like Sony in the slightest, and I don't even own my own PS2.

This one is for all the people who spout "facts" they rehash from 4 month old posts from DS-fanboys.

This whole "versus" thing is getting so old. Play it, don't play it, whatever. Joining one camp and fighting the other over which is better is so pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

if we get advance wars in a timely fashion that is.

I have absolutely nothing personal against the psp, i think it's a fantastic concept for a portable device and i have to say I don't think the designers were idiots.

The only problem i'd have with it is that it could probably have been done better if sonys corporate dogma hadn't been let loose on it. But hey thats only my opinion.

Changing subject a bit, how much space does the average psp game take up? is it the full 1.8gb (cos i know many xbox games use under 2 and in some cases even 1 gig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

wow my fanboy senses are tingling! I think its very unfair to call the psp a sub-standard product it packs alot of power and functionality for its size and price (not irish price though :D ) granted it guzzles down the juice like an SUV but Li-ion battery technology hasnt advanced like computers. Theres bound to be some problems with the first generation of them, also most consoles have had teething problems at launch. The spitting out of the umd's seems to be very rare (0.4% it think) and also noted that a dangerous amount of twisting force is required to do it. The square button is a valid point no doubt. But sub-standard product i think not (and no im not a sony fanboy never had a playstation, hell i dont think i have any sony products)

You do know there was roughly 10,000 complaints in japan about the square button?? and that Sony actually admitted the problem and knew about it??

that aint good design.
    who wants to play Gran Turisimo on the bus neway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The square button on my PSP does feel different from the other buttons I have to say, it doesnt feel quite how i want it to feel but at the same time I've used it extensively in games and it does work perfectly when you press it, I don't know if this is what the sticky square button problem was in Japan or if it was something more serious, if I lived in Japan I'd consider bringing it back for repair(a friend has a PSP and his square button is perfect so I know mine isn't normal) but as it is I'd rather keep it as it is than go to that hassle, it still works, and just because it feels less comfortable than the other (perfect) PSP buttons, doesnt mean its not a lot more comfortable than other joypads I've used.

Even with that I'm still delighted with the PSP, battery life is great, I haven't yet been in a position where it became an issue, the unit feels wonderful, the analog is great, the buttons are great(even the square still feels grand), the games I've got(ridge racers and lumines) are great, theres a number of releases I'm looking forward to in the near future, the audio-visual quality is stunning, it is an astonishingly good machine.

My DS on the other hand, it's best game is Mario 64, which is just a cover of a generation old game(albeit a good one) that just highlights the sore need for an analog stick. The only game on DS I really really like is Warioware, if there's more games that make good use of the console like that does it'd be good but there's just not that many of interest on the horizon.

yeah, i dont see why Ninty didnt put in an analogue stick on the DS....
    considering that the N64 pad was considered very revolutionary because of its analogue stick, and that Mario 64 was the best game for it.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

why need an analogue stick when you have the touch pad? In my opinion the touch pad gives greater control over an analogue stick!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the analogue nub on the PSP isn't actually analogue. Still it is nicer than a d-pad for racing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Tbh, I'd rather play games in 3D then 2D. :)

Also, the PSP is more then just a games console really, it is a protable media player more then anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Winters wrote:
    Tbh, I'd rather play games in 3D then 2D.

That comment is the videogaming form of racism :D

I have not noticed any issue with any of the buttons, and I dont know how anyone who has actually used a psp coulds say its badly designed, all i ever get is wows from people who see the screen and the layout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Well the analogue nub on the PSP isn't actually analogue.

Yes it is.
    Jazzy wrote:
    You do know there was roughly 10,000 complaints in japan about the square button?? and that Sony actually admitted the problem and knew about it??

The PSP sold nearly 1,000,000 units and out of that there were 10,000 complaints (not faulty machines, just complaints) Thats not a bad record.

Sony did not admit the problem. They admitted to made the button like that to keep the size down.

And for the record I have never had a problem with my square button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ciaran500 wrote:
    And for the record I have never had a problem with my square button.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    The square button presses differently to the rest but it still works fine.

Not a problem per say, just stirring some drama :p

Anyway, don't you guys get tired of arguing over a completly pointless subject? Jesus, you like somethin, go ahead and buy it. Doesn't mean you have to make everyone else buy one.

I don't know why people bother arguing, but tbh, it come off worse than intended, because the subject is so childish, the argument always looks like a jelous rant.

"OMG, but yours doesn't do this, and mine does, so ha!"
    "$ony are the ghey, you have no gaming morals, your not hardcore"
    "Teh GFX R TEH MAZIN , TEHY R LIKE OMG UBER LEET"

Summed up as "My e-penis is bigger than yours (e-boobs for girls I guess :eek: "

Just let it go FFS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Quiet you!

Clearly, this proves that ANYONE who uses a PSP is a lier. They must not be trusted. The battery life is only 2 hours, when it's idling.The Ridge Racers game is actually just video footage, cleverly executed to make it seem like your controlling it.They have been pulling the wool over our eyes all along.
    Whats the topic of disscussion in this thread anyway... oh right, DS get slated....em, K

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yep, so Rew, Koneki, yourself and I have said too many times. But will they listen?...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

They both have their advantages.

PSP has GT4, GTA and amazong graphics/style.

DS has mario kart, mario64 DS and other very playable adventure/puzzle games!

€149 is a good price, for what it is, dual screen, one touch sensitive, fairly decent demo, stylus' etc. Its the price of the games which i dont like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

screw ye all im getting a n-gage QD! :D:D
    how come no one is saying anything bout the gizmondo or what ever its called, .....wait whats the title of the thread again?....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Exactly! This place is starting to turn into HardForums (which is NOT a good thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Angelina Jolie!!

Angelina Jolie !!!!1!!!11!

Advertisement