Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooling problems

Options
  • 07-03-2005 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

ive been having cooling problems with the cpu on my computer i can use it but i have to take the side panel off which make it look so stupid when i go to lan parties.
    i have an athlon xp 2ghz .
    this is my case:

http://www.ms-tech.de//en/produkte/gehaeuse/lc-400/index.shtml

ive tried three different fans so far
    i cant realy afford water cooling and i heard if not realy reliabe

help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Why, what temps is it reaching?

A new heatsink or processor fan could sort it.

You say you've tried 3 different fans: they case fans or Processor fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

have you tried reseating your cpu heatsink with some new thermal paste like artic silver? Sounds more serious than just needing a bigger fan - especially in a decent sized case like that. Make sure you have good airflow - in at bottom front and out at top back via the psu fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

i reset the cpu fan on saturday and i have a fan on the side panel just below the psu and one in front of the hdd`s

the maximuim heat it has reached is 82 celsius but it averages at about 75

i think i have a 1900 lying around here somewhere i might give that a go when i get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i reset the cpu fan on saturday and i have a fan on the side panel just below the psu and one in front of the hdd`s

i think i have a 1900 lying around here somewhere i might give that a go when i get the chance

Right those are serious temps, id try a different hsf.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

This is a silly question I know, but are you sure you're reading the temp in Celsius and not Fahrenheit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Neuro wrote:
    This is a silly question I know, but are you sure you're reading the temp in Celsius and not Fahrenheit?
    That'd make the average CPU core 23 celsius. I want to see that rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You should check that there are no other cases of your motherboard reporting the wrong tempreatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Where are you taking the temp readings from? It should be the BIOS.
    Your current temps are way to high for normal usage, have you sufficient airflow in your case, ie. no wires everywhere, and have you an exhaust fan (at least 1 fan should be blowing air out of your case).
    Also do what Ciaran500 says.
    More details are needed before we can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

hey guys sorry for not posting back i kinda forgot about the thread but i got my dad to fix it.....it turns out that it was the power supply; the fans on it were blowing the air onto the cpu cooler. Damn that fan 'o mine! :D:D:D:D

Advertisement