Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First (new) Dr Who episode leaked onto net.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

5.2%...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

whens it gona be on the telly?

weird to see a tv show getting pre'd like this,
    did someone whip it off the satellite feed from bbc to the us or something?

i might get it if somone gives a little mini review....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

No way I'm getting this download, it'll spoil the fun, anyway I don't have broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just watched it, very british , the Doctor is really good imho, really really suspend disbelief as the storyline is very silly :)

If you liked Red Dwarf you probably will like this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Red Dwarf, how is it like Red Dwarf? Is there Komödie in it? Is there Chris Barrie in it?

• Advertisement

It's not like Red Dwarf. It's got comedic moments, some slapstick that sometimes feels out of place, but it's very surely Doctor Who. Eccleston is perfect in the part - slightly insane and having elements of all the previous Doctors. Piper isn't too bad either... As to the rest I'll only post if requested....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Longfield wrote:
    Just watched it, very british , the Doctor is really good imho, really really suspend disbelief as the storyline is very silly :)

Very.

Which kind of ruined it for me a little.

I know Doctor Who has never been up there on the echelons of fine drama, but I was half hoping that this would be a chance to try to modernise it a little, even if that meant ditching the kitch stuff for stronger characters and plots.

Piper is very good, but I thought she was very badly introduced in this. Like the scene with the (just in case)
    website guy, which I thought had very strong potential for the show in a new, modern form (I'm think arc stuff here), but it wasn't built upon at all.

As Doctor Who, it was OK, I suppose. But I had hoped it would be more, and less 'daft' than it was.
    Attack of the wheelie bins?! Come on...

Agreed - would have preferred it less silly. Sure it's a nice alternative to the gritty realism of BSG but a show like 'Farscape' was able to balance the drama and the comedy. This leaned just a little bit too much towards the farcical.

Hopefully they'll do what they did before and allow a number of different feels for the show - comedy, serious, hard sci-fi, etc. That'd be good.

As to that scene doh.ie
    Maybe we'll see it again? Personally I think they messed up there by not having shown different incarnations of the Doctor. After all Davies is on record as saying this is definetely the ninth incarnation, rather than a total restart and the Doctor has clearly just regenerated. He could start some cult/group that investigates the Doctor and that we'll see in the future..

Of course now I have to wait 4 weeks for a new episode - DAMN!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

foxybrowne wrote:
    Red Dwarf, how is it like Red Dwarf? Is there Komödie in it? Is there Chris Barrie in it?

I believe I said if you liked Red Dwarf then you will probably like this..

That said it is an enjoyable romp and Piper isnt hard on the eye either, will be tuning into this when it airs on the telly in a few weeks :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

ixoy wrote:
    Hopefully they'll do what they did before and allow a number of different feels for the show - comedy, serious, hard sci-fi, etc. That'd be good.

There may be good potential down the line for this to happen; different well-known Who writers are on board, and they should each have something new to add.
    ixoy wrote:
    As to that scene doh.ie
    Personally I think they messed up there by not having shown different incarnations of the Doctor. After all Davies is on record as saying this is definetely the ninth incarnation, rather than a total restart and the Doctor has clearly just regenerated.

Just regenerated, yes, but he must've had a few adventures between then and later in the episode to show up at numerous past events (Titanic, JFK) cos in Rose's house he seemed to have only just regenerated very recently. (Incidentally, how crap were those sh1tty Photoshopped pictures?!)

I'm all for him being the ninth. Would've liked to have seen the regeneration, but maybe this can be held over for a flashback-type episode in the future. There's nothing wrong with launching straight into the action, per se - it's likely that new fans to the show would've been put off by a lot of backstory, so it may have been left out for that reason.

However, if I were doing this first one, I think I'd have gone for a different way of having Rose and the Doctor meet, something that would make her interest in him a little stronger. Maybe she could've started out as a reporter, someone whose investigation brought her to website guy, and ultimately into the Doctor's mission. The way it kind of 'fell together' was weak.

Her boyfriend was also a crap character - maybe if been a little more interesting, had been a bit meaner to her or less interested in her (cliche, a bit, I know), it would've made her decision to ditch him stronger.

But then I wouldn't have done the Autons either.
    ixoy wrote:
    He could start some cult/group that investigates the Doctor and that we'll see in the future..
    I like this. He was in the shopping centre later on in the episode, so he's obviously witnessed that. I'd very much hope that this happens, that his investigation work continues and he becomes a kind of third wheel to the main characters. (I know that's not how 'Doctor Who' has worked in the past, but if you're going to reinvent it, it's this kind of element that would be most interesting to fans, old and new alike.

• Advertisement

I watched it this morning and must say that I enjoyed it, though I have to agree with a lot of what has been written here all ready, it bordered on the farcical a bit too often.

Im really looking forward to the second episode, shame its four weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Well I've had the episode for a few days, but I've finally had a chance to watch it.

I like it, after the recent likes of BSG, its refreshing. No end-of-the-world seriousness and if the whole program is a little on the camp side, what of it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Just watched it and realy enjoyed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

I see they're running the trailers on BBC at the moment - complete with a brief glimpse of a slightly dirty looking dalek? though the "slow mo running from fireball" bit is a bit poo in any medium ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just regenerated, yes, but he must've had a few adventures between then and later in the episode to show up at numerous past events (Titanic, JFK) cos in Rose's house he seemed to have only just regenerated very recently. (Incidentally, how crap were those sh1tty Photoshopped pictures?!)
    The Doctor wouldn't have needed to have done those things in the picture before the episode, he's a time traveller so he could do them later in the series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I watched it over the weekend and found it mildly diverting. One recommendation I would give them is to get rid of the crappy cheapo "action" music they use. It sounds like music from Mr. Bean.

davej

Where's the BBC Radiophonic Workshop when you need it?

Anyone watch the DW night last night, twas alright, but would have been better if they'd just showed all of City of Death or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/24/doctor_who_leak_plugged/
    Though ye olde conspiracy theorists are claiming viral marketing.

I like this. He was in the shopping centre later on in the episode, so he's obviously witnessed that. I'd very much hope that this happens, that his investigation work continues and he becomes a kind of third wheel to the main characters. (I know that's not how 'Doctor Who' has worked in the past, but if you're going to reinvent it, it's this kind of element that would be most interesting to fans, old and new alike.
    Didnt the poor fella get killed in a kind of "I knew this was gonnta happen" way, by one of the Autons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't know, we saw a shot being fired in his direction but we don't know if he got hit or fatally wounded.

Ah now, he'd hardly survive a blast from one of those things.

Advertisement