Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Wireless Router with NTL

Options
  • 08-03-2005 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Just bought one of these

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 54 Mbps 802.11g SpeedBooster, WPA,4P switch

Anyone any tips for smooth connection of it with NTL cable. I currently use the default NTL modem. Anything to watch out for?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the older (Speedboost-less) version of this router (since August 2004). No problems with it.
    Nothing to watch out for, just follow the quick instructions that came with the router.
    Basically:
    - Unplug ntl modem (so it will register MAC addr of router)
    - Disconnect computer from modem
    - Plug modem in
    - Plug in router and connect modem and router (see Linksys instructions if not obvious)
    - Connect computer to a port on the router
    - Renew IP address if necessary.

You should then change the SSID, router password, set MAC address restrictions for wireless connections and probably encryption and then switch off SSID broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

cheers for that - was hoping it was going to be that easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

I have it working at home too with the same equipment. I think the first PC will take 192.168.0.100. It's a default in the router itself. It took me about 10mins to setup and another 30 to figure to turn off the firewalls before I could get two machines to connect. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I just bought a 3com wireless router from Komplett
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304347&cks=SPC
    i have my main pc connected into the back of the router and it connects to the internet no problem. But i cant seem to get my laptop connect wirelessly to it. I have all the security turn off firewall, WEP and WPA
    Any ideas??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

daymobrew wrote:
    You should then change the SSID, router password, set MAC address restrictions for wireless connections and probably encryption and then switch off SSID broadcast.
    Tried disabling SSID broadcast when setting up my new router. Although the SSID name was still visible in 'Preferred Networks' under the 'Wireless Networks' tab of my network settings, i can't get Windows to connect to it.

How do i connect to a network when I've switched of its SSID broadcast?. I tried removing the network and manually adding it from this 'Preferred Networks' window as well, but no joy.

Confused......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Sorry for interrupting the thread, I've a Netgear 624, with my PC in the LAN port and wireless around the house for laptop ect.

Lately my Xfire and MSN drop every hour and my BB refreshes. I'm on IBB Breeze 2meg.

Does anyone know what the problem might be ? My ISP setting are static IP which is programamed in to the router. There is also a firewall built in.

Is there anthing in the router which keeps dropping the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

daymobrew wrote: »
    I have the older (Speedboost-less) version of this router (since August 2004). No problems with it.
    Nothing to watch out for, just follow the quick instructions that came with the router.
    Basically:
    - Unplug ntl modem (so it will register MAC addr of router)
    - Disconnect computer from modem
    - Plug modem in
    - Plug in router and connect modem and router (see Linksys instructions if not obvious)
    - Connect computer to a port on the router
    - Renew IP address if necessary.

Just reopening this thread. I am reinstalling the same Linksys router as above after I have been given a replacement from the shop. I have none of the setup instructions anymore and it is asking me on the setup wizard for the following information:-
    • Internet Type
    • IP Address
    • Subnet Mask
    • Gateway
    • DNS1
    • DNS2

I am also setting up on NTL as the OP. Any idea what details I should enter? I forget what I put in on my first installation.

Advertisement