Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Retail trials 8 Mbps DSL service

Options
  • 08-03-2005 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

BT Retail trials 8 Mbps DSL service

BT Retail has announced that it will start trialling a mega-fast 8Mbps broadband service from April, with the aim of rolling it out to both consumer and business customers by the end of the year.

The announcement follows BT’s super-fast 2Mbps service launch last month. The trial will last approximately 10 - 12 weeks.

A larger trial is expected in the summer following a successful technical pilot.

The trials are in response to the increasing use of broadband-based technologies in the home and at work, as well as the development in the market of broadband applications such as video-over-broadband and broadband to your TV.

Gavin Patterson, MD Consumer and Group Marketing for BT Retail, said: “Our customers are already benefiting from our new super-fast standard speeds. However, this is a fast moving industry with an ever growing demand for bigger and better content and applications. Therefore we are ensuring we are ahead of the game in developing broadband so we can be the first to deliver those new services to the marketplace.

“However, it’s vital that we get it right, hence the trials. We need to make sure that everything is in place prior to a full launch, to ensure that we deliver the best broadband experience for our customers,” Patterson added.

The trials will take place starting in April late spring, with a view to launching a higher speed service by the end of the year. The first phase of the trial will be internal, but future information on customer involvement will be issued in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

This in the UK only just in case anyone was thinking it was the expected EsatBT / IOL announcment. :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Dont worry I dont think anyone believes residental users will get even 2Mbit/s for a couple of years.
    Smarts proposed service wont be rolled out for some time and then only in highly built up areas.
    The biggest leap Eircom/Iol(EsatBT) will make is a possible 1Mbit/s residental service!
    The average Joe currently with 512k will have to wait for a couple of years I'm afraid.

Later.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You should have put "[UK]" at the start of the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kenped

sjones wrote:
    You should have put "[UK]" at the start of the thread title.

Lets murder the threadstarter,, he got my hopes up :-],, I was heading over to Ireland now,,

Guess i'm staying here in Adsl2+ land :-)! :cool:

diarmo wrote:
    Dont worry I dont think anyone believes residental users will get even 2Mbit/s for a couple of years.
    Smarts proposed service wont be rolled out for some time and then only in highly built up areas.
    The biggest leap Eircom/Iol(EsatBT) will make is a possible 1Mbit/s residental service!
    The average Joe currently with 512k will have to wait for a couple of years I'm afraid.

Later.............

Couple of years ?? sh** I'm sorry for you lads,,

Over here they just launced adsl2+ (25mb in / 1,5mb out) and yes MB!! .. To both residential and businesses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

kenped wrote:
    Couple of years ?? sh** I'm sorry for you lads,,

Over here they just launced adsl2+ (25mb in / 1,5mb out) and yes MB!! .. To both residential and businesses!

Are we supposed to know where you are?

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Are we supposed to know where you are?

No not supposed too,, and why should you ??.. I was just making a statment that I wasnt in Ireland!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon we may see a 2mb residential service from eircom etc by late 2006, early 2007 and anything around 5mb+ would be after 2010.. by then the rest of the world will be on 100mb+ id imagine.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

See other thread. Eircom are upgrading their packages. The people with the 8gig cap are bein upgraded to a 2meg line. The people with a 4gig cap upgraded to 1meg line

\o\ \o/ /o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

While at this point any speed increase is welcome, I don't see this as anything more than a PR stunt. You see, Eircom were (finally) being hounded about the sub-par specs of their broadband service, and no doubt the pressure of Smart's 2mbps product was also being felt.

For that reason, we should not welcome this for anything more than it is: Eircom only did what they had to do. Furthermore, it does not bring us much closer to what is fast becoming standard across Europe: 8mbps.

• Advertisement

is fast becoming standard across Europe: 8mbps.

Well that is kinda up for discussion though, The technology is now currently on Adsl able to deliver 8mb but only if you are close to the exchange that supplies you with the internet. Like I'm having 8mb now but I'm living only 300 meters from the exchange.

But again then you have Adsl2 which delivers upto 25 mb,,.

Atleast Ireland is now moving into the MB and are not down on isdn modem speed, !!

What I was trying to bring across is that services of near or in excess of 8mbps are fast becoming the standard across Europe. Not necessarily exactly 8mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

What I was trying to bring across is that services of near or in excess of 8mbps are fast becoming the standard across Europe. Not necessarily exactly 8mbps.

Yes, that is exactly the point of my original post.
    Eircom were about to announce a whopping upgrade to 1Mbs yet
    our nearest neighbours are heading for 8Mbs....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Stakes raised in fast net race

Cable firm NTL has been trialling a faster type of broadband that could pave the way for speeds of up to 18 megabits per second for net users.

Currently the fastest broadband on offer in the UK is 8Mbps - although most homes do not have connections of more than 1Mbps.

Last month, NTL tested the viability of so-called ADSL2+.

Now the trial will be extended to allow for the on-demand streaming of high-definition TV (HDTV).

[...]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

HDTV requires a fair whack more than 8Mbps afaik

SyxPak wrote:
    HDTV requires a fair whack more than 8Mbps afaik

That depends. H.264 delivers full quality HDTV content running at 1920x1080 at about 8 Mbps. For that reason, H.264 is included in both new HDTV disc standards (Blue-ray and HD-DVD). It's also being used by more and more broadcasters I believe, especially satellite, since you need less transponder space to broadcast more channels.

Basically, it is a lot more efficient than MPEG2, which has been around for years and years. H.264 is part of MPEG4. The shortest info I could find about it was here. There is more detailed information on the MPEG group web site I think (I was there as well), but it is a long read.

Advertisement