Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tar for waterproofing metal roof?

• 08-03-2005 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what kind or brand of tar is best for waterproofing a metal shed/garage roof?

Has some leaks and i want to insulate the shed to store toys in it.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Kdjac,

I would advise that you first establish the problem, is it an old type small profile galvanised roof or a reasonably modern metal sheet that is leaking at the fixings ?

Is your main problem more condensation more than leaks ?

Most tar products do not a long life on metal,depending on the build up of your roof you might get better long term value by over sheeting, this method can stop leaks allow for insulation and leave youre shed with a nice appearance.

Cost wise not too much more than tar products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thats not a bad idea the initial sheeting is kinda old the leaks are along the joins
    and due to shoddy build (we didnt build it came with house) there is no run off between mine and next doors they joined but no actual draining solution is there, maybe adding new sheets at a higher angle would make putting in a run off easier too.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

KdjaC wrote:
    Anyone know what kind or brand of tar is best for waterproofing a metal shed/garage roof?

Has some leaks and i want to insulate the shed to store toys in it.

kdjac

If you're not worried about the finish strips of "torch-on" felt, really overheated/ nearly melted might work. Now comes "pre-painted" silver.....I know, roof old and build up of dirt etc....I've done it and got away with it....but really heat the edges
    t
    PS If rooferpete sees this he'll start calling me a cowboy lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Shucks pardner ah think ahl havte ask ye te leave nicen quiet now.

Dis here board don't gotta nuff room fer 2 cowboys :)

Advertisement