Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS Online (Playing not Buying)

Options
  • 08-03-2005 12:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its already mentioned Here but now IGN are hinting at it. Form their mailbag this week:
    When exactly will a game come out that uses DS's online capabilities? Seriously, it would be so awesome. I also hope that it will be used for Animal Crossing DS. (Trading furniture all over the country without leaving your house!!!)

Jimbo

Say, isn't this week the Game Developers Conference? And hey, isn't Iwata going to be speaking in one of the Keynote addresses? Wow, he sure is. That'll be a lot of fun to watch.

-- Craig

Now for the Rew rumor mill to start. Why announce online capabilities and not back it up? Would Nitty announce somthing big and not offer somthing first party to kick it off? So does this mean they have a game or 2 or 3 up their sleve to stick out their with onle features? What games would make good online games? Possibly Mario Kart but definatly FPS's like Metroid Hunters... Ill probably be disapointed on Thursday now but we will have to wait and see...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Apparently Nintendo has found making the DS online to be as hard as cold fusion.

Remember this is the first real attempt at online from a company which doesn't really like the idea(at the moment at least because of tech limitations etc..)

'twould be slick though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I havn't read anything to the effect of "Nintendo has found making the DS online to be as hard as cold fusion" at all. All they have to do is give a wireless API to the devlopers and off they go. There are plenty of 3rd parties they can bring on board to do it as well (Warp Pipe?).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Reading EDGE, the impression is that the DS's wireless networking is very similar to wireless internet access. The reason they're being cautious is because they want everything to be out-of-the-box plug and play, and that means getting all the ISPs, content-providers and developers singing from the one hymn sheet.

If and when they get this up and running, an online Pokemon RPG would clean up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't even think of that. Not only would it be great (but also embarassing to somebody like me who is should be too old for pokemon but admits to loving the series) it could be a huge seller and win back quite a considerable chunk of the handheld market back from sony.

Rew wrote:
    I havn't read anything to the effect of "Nintendo has found making the DS online to be as hard as cold fusion" at all. All they have to do is give a wireless API to the devlopers and off they go. There are plenty of 3rd parties they can bring on board to do it as well (Warp Pipe?).
    Erm.. I meant third party guys too, I just didn't say it:)

Xlink Kai or what ever is up and running for the PSP and they have abandoned their DS project because its too hard.

And Warp-pipe were expecting to launch for the US release, but it hasn't been as easy as they thought either.

• Advertisement

Reading EDGE, the impression is that the DS's wireless networking is very similar to wireless internet access. The reason they're being cautious is because they want everything to be out-of-the-box plug and play, and that means getting all the ISPs, content-providers and developers singing from the one hymn sheet.

That would be cool!

I'd love a Mario MMORPG or something too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

has anyone tryed psp online with Xlink ?
    they have stopped support of DS.

dearg_doom wrote:
    Erm.. I meant third party guys too, I just didn't say it:)

Xlink Kai or what ever is up and running for the PSP and they have abandoned their DS project because its too hard.

And Warp-pipe were expecting to launch for the US release, but it hasn't been as easy as they thought either.

Ahhh right, yeah I follow all the DS hacks/tunnels pretty closely so I was very disapointed when they gave up on the DS. They did tunnel it though jut not in a production way.

Nintendo designed the system putting it online is easy for them. PSP worked out of the box because it uses the same setip as a PS2 and has all the wireless settings exposed in the menus.

Nintendo will probably expose all the settings to devlopers or esle there may be ahidden menu in the DS that sticking an online capabel card in unlocks. Its ahrd to say. The DS wireless is an 802.11b chipset. Nintendo just implemented their own local protocol for DS to DS local sessions.

Rew wrote:
    Ahhh right, yeah I follow all the DS hacks/tunnels pretty closely so I was very disapointed when they gave up on the DS. They did tunnel it though jut not in a production way.

I just re-read my above posts, and they seem fairly nagative on my part:o

I didn't mean them to sound like that, I'd love to see Nintendo online, but I still agree with them that it's still a very niche market which won't become mainstream for years yet!

and yeah I was following all the news in December after the US realease and was dissappointed when the third parties stopped dev of their tunnelling.
    Rew wrote:
    Nintendo designed the system putting it online is easy for them. PSP worked out of the box because it uses the same setip as a PS2 and has all the wireless settings exposed in the menus.

Nintendo will probably expose all the settings to devlopers or esle there may be ahidden menu in the DS that sticking an online capabel card in unlocks. Its ahrd to say. The DS wireless is an 802.11b chipset. Nintendo just implemented their own local protocol for DS to DS local sessions.

I don't understand the whole tech side of it, but if it was that simple Nintendo are pretty dumb for not telling all the developers from the start! We might have had online RR or Mario64x4! :confused:

The devlopers proabbly know whats going on but the online servers and the service its self probably wern't ready in time for orignal launch dates. Its hard to know whats going on but id say we will find out soon. (fingers crossed!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yup, like I said in another thread

A big franchise game is probably going to be the first game to come out for online DS play( from nintendo spokesman )

Many believe it will be pokemon, which would make a WHOLE lot of sense.

The original thread is here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=220420

Yeah def, but I reckon it will Metroid Hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

dearg_doom wrote:
    it's still a very niche market which won't become mainstream for years yet!

Niche me hole. I bought a new PStwo ($150). played it a bit. got broadband about two weeks ago (1.5meg $35/m) and a wireless router ($50). Looked at the PS2. Looked at the router. Hooked a cable between them. Popped in the PS2online CD that came with the console, and i've been playing ESPN NBA 2k5 online ever since.

Any given evening, there's usually about 30 games of NBA 2k5 waiting to be joined, and that doesn't include the games that are already underway. And this is just one minority market share game!

Note also that my laptop recognises about 5 other wireless networks in range in my apartment complex. Considering that, and considering the PS2's market penetration, there's potential there for a huge market. I reckon most people who get broadband here now get a wireless router to go with it (a lot of ISPs include a free one) so, having made the initial investment to get their pc online, its a very small step to get an old PS2 or an xbox online, and there's nothing at all involved in getting a PStwo, DS or PSP online.

What i'm saying is, the market is already here. Many people have the infrastructure already in place to play online, they may just need to buy a Live kit, or PS2 broadband adapter. Some (with a PStwo) only need to buy an ethernet cable. DS and PSP owners don't need to do anything at all.

What are Nintendo waiting for???

Well its looking like I (or we as Smelly rightly pointed out) am right on the money

http://ds.ign.com/articles/594/594726p1.html?fromint=1
    GDC 2005: Nintendo DS Online at GDC?
    Talk of the DS going online rumbles through the corridors at the Game Developers Conference.
    by Craig Harris

March 9, 2005 - Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata will be heading a keynote address at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco tomorrow, March 10th, at 10:30. Rumors have rumbled for weeks that this is where Iwata will be unveiling an online service for the Nintendo DS, and it's even stronger the first official day of the conference.

Though details are scattered, we've heard that the keynote won't just offer mention of such a service, but will actually have interactive demonstration of the Nintendo DS' online functions with specific games that utilize the functions. These games will be revealed during Iwata's keynote speech.

We'll have more on this as additional details arise.

Note they talk about "DS Online Services" so maybe not just games?! Im excited now...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Balfa wrote:
    Niche me hole. I bought a new PStwo ($150). played it a bit. got broadband about two weeks ago (1.5meg $35/m) and a wireless router ($50). Looked at the PS2. Looked at the router. Hooked a cable between them. Popped in the PS2online CD that came with the console, and i've been playing ESPN NBA 2k5 online ever since.

Any given evening, there's usually about 30 games of NBA 2k5 waiting to be joined, and that doesn't include the games that are already underway. And this is just one minority market share game!

Note also that my laptop recognises about 5 other wireless networks in range in my apartment complex. Considering that, and considering the PS2's market penetration, there's potential there for a huge market. I reckon most people who get broadband here now get a wireless router to go with it (a lot of ISPs include a free one) so, having made the initial investment to get their pc online, its a very small step to get an old PS2 or an xbox online, and there's nothing at all involved in getting a PStwo, DS or PSP online.

What i'm saying is, the market is already here. Many people have the infrastructure already in place to play online, they may just need to buy a Live kit, or PS2 broadband adapter. Some (with a PStwo) only need to buy an ethernet cable. DS and PSP owners don't need to do anything at all.

you got to remember though since you're in the states there's a huge market for basketball, plus the fact that there's 300 million U.S residents there's going to be a good few people playing online.

Cremo wrote:
    you got to remember though since you're in the states there's a huge market for basketball, plus the fact that there's 300 million U.S residents there's going to be a good few people playing online.

That's me point :) There IS a market for it, definitely here, and probably other places too. But we haven't seen any online DS games yet here in the states either, you know ;)

GameSpy are doing the game matching for thr DS:
    Now, though, in the latest issue of Nintendo Power, Iwata-san has provided details on the portable's online future. He stated that Nintendo is teaming up with popular website company GameSpy to create a multiplayer wireless network that can easily be setup and would provide a unique experience that any DS user could enjoy.

http://www.cubed3.com/viewnews.php?storyid=3578

bleh. don't really like gamespy. don't like the clunkiness of their software. the useability is nasty. but i'm sure nintendo will fix that.

Humho.

Still can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭IamtheKing

Yay! Nintendo finally put a foot into the online waters. (did that make sense?) Now all they need is online Smash Bros they'll be unstoppable.

Balfa wrote:

lol, your post proves nowt mate!

The majority of us that actually bother to post on the net about games are NOT the typical games player these days...

There are about 19m xBox's sold, only less than 2m Live users.

Over 70m PS2'ssold, less than 1.5m online users.

Now I'm no genius, but that, to me, indicates a niche market.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

dearg_doom wrote:
    Apparently Nintendo has found making the DS online to be as hard as cold fusion.

Remember this is the first real attempt at online from a company which doesn't really like the idea(at the moment at least because of tech limitations etc..)

'twould be slick though
    Actually the SNES went online in Japan and only ended it's online service in 1999, so Nintendo have had as many online consoles as Sony and Microsoft.

yeah, I think they also had online banking with the famicom, I think.

I hope the DS goes online soon, you just know they'll make some great games to take advantage of it.

Its going to be may/june at the earlest. Id say it will be playable online at E3 followed by a launch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

then all we'll need are some more wifi hotspots!, you can see McDonalds packed with people playing their DS soon :D

flogen

Rew wrote:
    Its going to be may/june at the earlest. Id say it will be playable online at E3 followed by a launch.
    That just got me thinking...

Imagine next year, when all this online stuff is 'normal' etc and if Nintendo/(or Sony) offer proper free extra stuff, probably some free skins or live transcripts of keynote speeches...

You could be sitting on the bog downloading stuff(like demos/screenshots of new games) from E3 '06 live!!!!

flogen wrote:
    then all we'll need are some more wifi hotspots!, you can see McDonalds packed with people playing their DS soon :D

flogen

Actually most public hotspots wont be compatible with PSP/DS. The likes of McD and others require you to open a web browser and stick in some login info off a card or what ever. So untill they get browsers that support SSL we wont be playing either in comercial/non-free hotspots.

dearg_doom wrote:
    That just got me thinking...

Imagine next year, when all this online stuff is 'normal' etc and if Nintendo/(or Sony) offer proper free extra stuff, probably some free skins or live transcripts of keynote speeches...

You could be sitting on the bog downloading stuff(like demos/screenshots of new games) from E3 '06 live!!!!

Yeah that would be very cool. DS will need extra software for downloading demos id say. The existing DL feature reacts to a another DS or a special Nintendo "Hot Spot" .

I cannt wait to be able to pull out my DS and stomp on sombody on the other side of the globe in Metroid :D

Rew wrote:
    Actually most public hotspots wont be compatible with PSP/DS. The likes of McD and others require you to open a web browser and stick in some login info off a card or what ever. So untill they get browsers that support SSL we wont be playing either in comercial/non-free hotspots.

well, here's hoping Nintendo sort out some kind of hotspots around the country so we can actually use the damn thing :confused:

(actually, it just got me thinking, it has been announced that the Revolution will be Wifi, I hope you can hook it up to a regular connection too, even a wireless one in your home, otherwise most people are screwed...)

flogen

When nintendo say "hot spot" they mean regular wireless Access Points. Hot spot dosnt really mean anything its just a marketing term thats over used. Your DS and the Rev when it comes should work with your Wireless access point/router no probs.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:
    When nintendo say "hot spot" they mean regular wireless Access Points. Hot spot dosnt really mean anything its just a marketing term thats over used. Your DS and the Rev when it comes should work with your Wireless access point/router no probs.

so if I get a wireless router the DS will be able to pick up on it once the service is up and running? sweet

flogen

Advertisement