Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Upgrade for Sky Satellite users

• 08-03-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Sourse D.S.

New Software Download Soon

There's a new software download due from 14th March onwards.

Some of the new features which are going to be added I have been waiting on. But there are many missing too.

1. The first new feature will be the ability to block specific channels. It will allow us to PIN protect individual channels, ie cartoons at exam time, or babecast after 8pm. Something I personally have been waiting on for a long time. The option will also allow you to either block the channel with a PIN at all times or only block channels after 8pm.

2. There will also be an option to highlight channels which have an audio decription or subtitles , and we will also be able to switch the subtitles on/off from the search and scan banner.

3. The radio listings will also have now and next although there will be much bigger changes to the radio on a future dowload.

4. Now here's a nice one. The interactive symbol, or red dot or whatever everyone calls it can be set to switch off. There will be a 30 second timeout that we can set so it will automatically disappear. However change channel and it will re-appear (if only for another 30 secs )

5. There is another dowload apparently scheduled in but no timescale has been given. This will have the EPG background changing slightly Also the facility to remove the adult channels fully from the PPV via a menu.

Not a bad download this time, although i'd still like to see things like the information button working on the search and scan banner for programs later on in the day. And also remote programming for Sky + boxes would be ace.

Any thoughts on the upcoming download? And what other features would you like to see added?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

Being able to lock specific channels is a good idea.
    I too was hoping that the info button could be used on
    the search & scan bar.maybe next time

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MOD EDIT: Moved to Satellite forum, where more may find the info useful.

I think the changes are long overdue. I know of many who weren't too happy with some channels being available for kids to see. The option to remove the red dot is nice too. UKTV Network have theirs configured to appear and disappear at beginning and end of programmes and at ad breaks. This will sort out the other channels who didnt bother with this neat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

What's the story with the Info button? You can only ever use the Info button on the browse bar if you are actually on that particular channel and you can only do info on the programme that is on at the time you check it.

It's a bit annoying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Some good news there, hope they might go one step further & create skins for the EPG & Tv Guide, SBO, Services etc. lol. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

tinkerbell wrote:
    What's the story with the Info button? You can only ever use the Info button on the browse bar if you are actually on that particular channel and you can only do info on the programme that is on at the time you check it.
    AFAIK there's a technical reason (only broadcast on the relevant transponder or something) for that, though having said that, if it's so the problem isn't insurmountable. Sky can be pretty lazy with their new features so fixing the annoyances with the old ones is probably doen their list. Even if they've probably got some extra programmers lolling around now that work has rather died down on the sky+ firmwares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

good news that the babecast & adult preview crap can be blocked. about time too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

A recall button dammit a recall button thats all we need have needed it for years!

kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BingoBongo wrote:
    2. ... and we will also be able to switch the subtitles on/off from the search and scan banner.
    finally !
    3. The radio listings will also have now and next
    nice

I want a previous program button - so you can flick back and forth between two channels - very handy in the ad break or for channel 4 top 100 of everything

A button to hide the channels I can't get - if I haven't subscribed by now I'm not likely to. ( snowballs chance)

Being able to scan for FTA channels (I'm dreaming)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ijc

I hope they change it back to the way it was where you could autocue something from the on screen banner instead of highlighting it and then having to go into the personal planner. That is very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

KdjaC wrote:
    A recall button dammit a recall button thats all we need have needed it for years!

kdjac

Yes I've wanted that for years!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

I want a previous program button - so you can flick back and forth between two channels - very handy in the ad break or for channel 4 top 100 of everything

This is what I would like to see.
    BTW whats a recall button?

I thought a recall button was exactly what capt midnight described.

I dont see sky doing it in a hurry, they may aswell let you order the epg if they do that as you would be avoiding flicking through their silly channels too much by using it.
    They sell their epg to the silly channels(like Ben) for the fact that you cant do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Well that is good news, particularly re the blocking channels and the red button. (BTW, I've forgot/lost my PIN, but I seem to remember there was an easy way to get it - the last (or first?) 4 (or 3 or 5?) digits on some other number (on the digibox or the viewing card??) - anyone know?)

As for wishlist, well like everyone else I suppose, a "recall button" and being able to make a saved channel one of your favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I think the best thing that Sky could do would be to allow us to put the Channels on the EPG in the order that we want them NOT the order Sky wants to give us........... Well would'nt that be the day!!!!

Advertisement