Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCFormat on Intel M

Options
  • 08-03-2005 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Have any of ye read this? They overclocked it and it almost beat the best AMD out there? And for a fraction of the cost??

Aggghhh? What are we to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Pinhead

Ignore it and reassuringly cradle our AMD's in our arms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Is it online or just in the mag?

Keyword in above statement is almost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah I read that too. I'm an avid reader of PCFormat, buy it every month of thereof when my grant has sufficiant funds ;-)

I read that too and started to get worried, as i'm always the one to drone into my friend's heads that the processing power and circuitry, build etc has always been superior and faster than the pentium line of chips. But, seeing as it's primarilly used as a mobile chip i don't think most people will even twig it, and even if they do and go out and buy a compatible motherboard, sure there won't be that many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's also performing staggeringly well against Intel's more expensive chips, so much so that tower/desktop motherboards are being built to hold the Pentium M. Intel should be worried about competition from within.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lets not forget two things about the Pentium Mobile
    - it has very little cache and little pipelining
    - it uses very little power

the old celerons that used cache running at half speed were very overclockable because you were less likely to overdrive the cache the mobile may be similar, also extra caching and pipelining are only very advantageous in some circumstances otherwise maybe 5% gain

uses very little power, gotta be easier to cool, IIRC it powers down parts of the chip that aren't in use to gain extra savings too, maybe a little util to tweak that could help too.

How effect is the thermal protection in them compared to the normal P4's ?

Think about it - you could have something like a quad Pmobile for the same power as a single P4 on the same PSU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Achilles wrote:
    ....the processing power and circuitry, build etc has always been superior and faster than the pentium line of chips....

How is the build and circuitry superior and faster?

As for performance, it depends what you are doing.

This is old news people. The price of Pentium M and their motherboards has been the main reason not to go this route. However theres now an adapter that you can use with a Pentium M for use in a 478 board.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20050303164459.html

Heres more links to Pentium M articles
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=lpcpuso&page=3
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article219-page1.html
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article218-page1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

- it has very little cache and little pipelining

they have double cache of P4 5XX's?

They have 400/533 FSB and 2MB L2 Cache i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It actually kicks the FX55 (and everything else) into touch at gaming in this test, when it is OC'ed (with only stock cooling) to 2.53ghz!!!!

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dfipm&page=10

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Google doesn't seem to give me consistent answers on this: What is the operating temperatures on both these chips, Idle and load?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I cant tell ya from what I've read but apparently runs much cooler than a normal desktop chip buts thats obvious cos its a mobile chip. And I just reread the article just to make sure I didn't jump the gun - they didn't touch voltages at all? And the mobo wasn't the very best either? 400MHz system bus? Bumped up to 460Mhz to get the chip to 2.3GHz?

I havn't been able to verify these benchmarks with others and don't know where they got them from but I post them here anyway?
    M-2.3
    CS:Source(1024x768)(FPS) - 122
    AMD64 4000+
    CS:Source(1024x768)(FPS) - 126

Stock cooling and everything....
    Has anyone else seen results like these anywhere else? I don't want to jump off my AMD wagon just yet but for a third of the price......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Tell ya what peopl, i'll scan in the article from the latest PCFormat mag when i get home later and you can all see for yourself...

K?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

astrofool wrote:

well compared to the P4 it seems there's no comparison:
    At the same price, the Pentium 4 560 is a much better deal than the Pentium M 755, regardless of application suite. Also remember that we're not taking into account motherboard cost in this comparison, which makes the Pentium M 755 about $100 more expensive on the desktop.

Advertisement