Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Madness

Options
  • 08-03-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I've decided that I really hate playing Poker online, really hate it. At the moment I'm playing because I happen to be sat at home and RTW is pi$$ing me off as well so I've taken a break from it... goddamn macedonians :(

Anyway I logged on last night and decided to play in a $1 rebuy tournament for a ticket to the GF for the Irish Open Ticket, sat down at a micro limits .10/.20c cash table as well.

In the space of the first 3 blind levels (8 min levels) I've rebought 4 times, after AA (beaten by a flush on the turn when I reraised all-in preflop and was called by Js6s), AK, KK and QQ all fail to hold up when miles ahead pre and post flop. Then in the last hand of the rebuy period I get AA again, two players all-in before me, I call thinking "Well at least I'll have 6K to play with in the freezeout"

Me: AhAd
    Opp 1: KhTh
    Opp 2: QhQd

Flop: Ad Kd Jc
    Turn: 4d
    River: Qs

and out I went, they where 5 of the 8 hands I played in the tournament and I refused to buyin again. Meanwhile in the cash game by K high flush with 2 diamonds in the pocket was beaten by an A high flush with 2 diamonds in the pocket.

Trip Q's on the flop was beaten by trip A's with pocket rockets slowplayed. and my 9's over T's was beaten by T's over 9's.

Rather than accept that it wasn't my night I decided to play a $10 STT, which incredibly I won. Of course I didn't win it by particularily good play but rather by hitting 3 gutshot straights in a row on the river to bring us down to 3 players.

Then I get 7d 2s sing hallelujah and praise the lord. I raies UTG to 4*BB, both players call.

Flop is A 8 2 rainbow

I go all-in and one of the players calls all-in

Opp: A 8

Turn is a 2

River rag

and we're down to two players.

Played a couple of hands heads-up and then he slowplayed trip Q's on the flop and I hit my gutshot straight on the river again. $45 back into my account, so overall I was about $6 ahead.

Sit down at a $5 STT, first hand I'm dealt AA, player in front of me goes all-in I call.

Me: AA
    Opp: JJ

Flop T 8 K

Turn J

River 4

and I'm out, at that point I just went to bed.

There is just no method to the online madness at all....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I suppose it's because when playing multiple tables for hours and hours each week online, we see so many hands that we tend to ignore the many times it all goes according to plan and focus on the bad beats!

To re-focus on the times it goes oh-so-right, check out this hand. I made my first foray into the world of cash games on Sunday night, after getting unceremoniously dumped out of the boards €10 tourney and deciding I'm sick of STT on PartyPoker - I've since turned my $33 on PokerStars into $250, helped by hands like this...

PokerStars Game #1319964234: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) -
    2005/03/07 - 17:59:24 (ET)
    Table 'Demoulina' Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: Micky7 ($38.50 in chips)
    Seat 2: LordHatsumi ($82.40 in chips)
    Seat 3: ionapaul ($37.50 in chips)
    Seat 4: PCFISHING ($49.10 in chips)
    Seat 5: JBrokaw ($61.05 in chips)
    Seat 6: Azn-Playya ($17 in chips)
    Seat 7: ALiZe364 ($37.40 in chips)
    Seat 8: JMPlayer ($86.50 in chips)
    Seat 9: tacamo ($44.30 in chips)
    LordHatsumi: posts small blind $0.50
    ionapaul: posts big blind $1
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to ionapaul [9h Ah]
    PCFISHING: raises $1 to $2
    JBrokaw: folds
    Azn-Playya: folds
    ALiZe364: calls $2
    JMPlayer: folds
    tacamo: folds
    Micky7: folds
    LordHatsumi: folds
    ionapaul: calls $1
    *** FLOP *** [6h 7h Qh]
    ionapaul: checks
    PCFISHING: bets $2
    ALiZe364: calls $2
    ionapaul: calls $2
    *** TURN *** [6h 7h Qh] [5s]
    PCFISHING: bets $4
    ALiZe364: calls $4
    ionapaul: calls $4
    *** RIVER *** [6h 7h Qh 5s] [Kc]
    PCFISHING: bets $5
    ALiZe364: raises $10 to $15
    ionapaul: raises $14.50 to $29.50 and is all-in
    PCFISHING said, "cu got flush"
    PCFISHING: calls $24.50
    ALiZe364: calls $14.40 and is all-in
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    ionapaul: shows [9h Ah] (a flush, Ace high)
    PCFISHING: shows [Kd Ks] (three of a kind, Kings)
    ionapaul collected $0.20 from side pot
    ALiZe364: mucks hand
    ionapaul collected $109.70 from main pot
    JMPlayer said, "nh"
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $112.90 Main pot $109.70. Side pot $0.20. | Rake $3
    Board [6h 7h Qh 5s Kc]
    Seat 1: Micky7 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: LordHatsumi (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 3: ionapaul (big blind) showed [9h Ah] and won ($109.90) with a
    flush, Ace high
    Seat 4: PCFISHING showed [Kd Ks] and lost with three of a kind, Kings
    Seat 5: JBrokaw folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: Azn-Playya folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: ALiZe364 mucked [Qd Kh]
    Seat 8: JMPlayer folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: tacamo folded before Flop (didn't bet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

You really do see some of the strangest things online. Last night in a 5$ STT on Partypoker, 5 handed and for five hands in a row the UTG player got AKs. That has to be some sort of record. It was like their random number generator got stuck in a loop or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

Rodge wrote:
    You really do see some of the strangest things online. Last night in a 5$ STT on Partypoker, 5 handed and for five hands in a row the UTG player got AKs. That has to be some sort of record. It was like their random number generator got stuck in a loop or something.

tell me about it. in the space of about 10 hands in a STT i got 8 pocket pairs and two AKs. the probability of that is mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

last night i was playing 2 cash tables. got aces on both of them at the same time AND flopped trips on each table simulataneously.....got paid too! :D

in an effort to pretend i'm any good at maths is this a good approximation of the odds?

(220*8)² to 1?

or is it

(220*8)*2 to 1?

Its probably quite high would probably be sufficient :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

karlhoff wrote:
    last night i was playing 2 cash tables. got aces on both of them at the same time AND flopped trips on each table simulataneously.....got paid too! biggrin.gif

in an effort to pretend i'm any good at maths is this a good approximation of the odds?

(220*8)² to 1?

or is it

(220*8)*2 to 1?

The first one is actually fairly close, I worked it out as 4.2million/1. Similar to winning the lotto, I think. smile.gif

So how much did you make for approximately winning the lottery Karl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Did you mix it up for comparitive purposes, slowrolling one while ramming and jamming with the other to see which gave a better return ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Its only a fair analogy if you were to enter the lotto 50 times an hour for x hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I don't think the odds are quite that high.

220:1 to get AA on one table * 220:1 on the other = 48,400:1 to get them at same time. Or once every 968 hrs of two tabling. 4.5:1 to hit trips on each table so 48,400 * 4.5 * 4.5 = 980,100:1 or once every 19602 hrs of two tabling.
    If you two table 10hrs a week then it should happen once every 37.69 years.

No doubt I am wrong in my calculations somewhere but it seems about right.

• Advertisement

above is based on 50 hands/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

ok, we've established it's rare :)

i didn't quite win the lotto at all. it was .10c/.25c but i did have the table max on each table of $25.

i limped in late with 2 others on 1 table and got a guy all in for about $15 on the flop and raised preflop on the other, saw it with one other and got about $10 by the end. you heard me!!! they stood up on both!!! :)

it's 8 to 1 against flopping trips!? (4.5 to 1 against inc. turn and river maybe?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Taking an approximation of 8:1 against flopping a set, I'd calculate it as:

(221*9)^2 = 3,956,121

which gives odds of 3,956,120:1

Crumbs wrote:
    Taking an approximation of 8:1 against flopping a set, I'd calculate it as:

(221*9)^2 = 3,956,121

which gives odds of 3,956,120:1

Yeah I was working out for hitting trips down to the river. Didn't read karl's post closely enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I think the exact odds are as follows:

Probabilty of being dealt Aces = .004529

Probability of flopping exactly a set of Aces: Flop = Axx, where xx is not an ace or a pair => xx comes from 48 cards = 48c2 = 1128 combs. There are 72 pair combinations left, so xx with no pair or Ace has 1056 combs. Multiply by 2 for the two remaining Aces. Total flop combinations = 50c3 = 19600. So odds of exactly a set of Aces is 2112/19600 = 0.1077

So probabilty of dealt Aces and flopping exactly a set is .004529 x 0.1077 = .0004875 = 2050/1

Odds on two tables at same time = 4206382/1

Advertisement